Sergio Martinez KO's Lionel Messi in Argentine Sports awards

No one in America realises that the guys playing the most played sport in the world get a bit of cash? They do.

I meant actual amount of money. You ask an American how much LeBron James is making and some people will say 80 million dollars. You ask how much Messi is making and you'll get a shrug and a "A lot, I guess"

Were aware its the biggest sport worldwide but we also are aware of how boring it is

Most college teams in the US only have a girls squad. It's a kid/girl sport in the US.

That's not a diss, just the reality of soccer here in the US.

Exactly. Sounds like we're being dicks in the spirit of the argument but thats what it is here.

What does money have to do with anything? Jesus, you guys will look for any excuse to make America look bad.

"Oh they suck at soccer and theres no excuse because good athletes gravitate towards money"

We don't give a fuck. Were too busy watching Football, Basketball, Boxing, hell even fucking Nascar before we watch Soccer.

The best NFL players are actually in rugby
The best NASCAR drivers are actually in F1.
Most of the best boxers aren't from the US

1339952425125.jpg

that's not even the point . nobody cares that you don't care

you argued that all the us needs to be the best at soccer is " care " and " want " and this is a baseless claim . if the US wants to be good at soccer, it won't be the first rich , athletic powerhouse to do so ( and fail afterwards ) .

the most dominant soccer country is brazil , they're neither the richest nor the most athletically distinguished nation in the world .

do you seriously believe that a country like the uk dosen't have the " resources " to compete with brazil ? the simple reason is that success in soccer is based on numerous intangibles and grassroot development traditions and ideologies and not just " money " and " will "

I didn't know the UK was such a phenomenal sports power house. You think I'm basing this off money? No I base this off our successful history in sports, huge diverse population and money (which would equal access to better resources)

Exactly. Sounds like we're being dicks in the spirit of the argument but thats what it is here.

Too many people thing were being pretentious but it is what it is.

You made the point that nobody in America knows what they make. As with all sportsmen it's a shitload. That's the best answer and it won't be far wrong. Americans aren't stupid enough not to realise that, regardless of how you are making your countrymen sound.

The best Nfl players aren't playing rugby ZroC. 100% not.

My argument Seano wasn't about the culture of "soccer" in the us, the guy said you would have no idea what he got paid. If I said way too fucking much you would all nod.

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're just in it because you're insecure of America's position. "Oh noez they're too dominant! Quick, make handegg jokes!!"

Not surprisingly you're the same one who always posts MMA ratings in Boxing threads

America doesn't have to be dominant, they're the only country that plays the sport so it is an irrelevant argument. I bet Ireland smokes the comp at shinty?

I didn't know the UK was such a phenomenal sports power house. You think I'm basing this off money? No I base this off our successful history in sports, huge diverse population and money (which would equal access to better resources)

the uk dominated international motorsports , tennis , early boxing , rugby , cricket etc.. for a long time . and even their medal tally is not bad . they have one of the highest medals per capita in the world

and i'm basing my argument off the fact that the most succesful soccer nations are not necessarily the richest , athletically distinguished ,and most populated . just look at uruguay , less population than los angeles = 2 world cups ( england has 1 )

it's just like boxing in puerto rico , a tiny island with a tiny population and a crapload of world champions .

You made the point that nobody in America knows what they make. As with all sportsmen it's a shitload. That's the best answer and it won't be far wrong. Americans aren't stupid enough not to realise that, regardless of how you are making your countrymen sound.

The best Nfl players aren't playing rugby ZroC. 100% not.

My argument Seano wasn't about the culture of "soccer" in the us, the guy said you would have no idea what he got paid. If I said way too fucking much you would all nod.

Why not? Europeans could dominate the NFL if they wanted to but they're too busy playing a real sport like rugby, not covering their men with padding and a life preserver in case they drown on land. I mean could you imagine if some of those guys with the toughness they have getting mixed up in the NFL? Imagine if Europe or god help them Oz and NZ decided to get into it. It wouldn't be America's biggest sport for much longer.

Why not? Europeans could dominate the NFL if they wanted to but they're too busy playing a real sport like rugby, not covering their men with padding and a life preserver in case they drown on land. I mean could you imagine if some of those guys with the toughness they have getting mixed up in the NFL? Imagine if Europe or god help them Oz and NZ decided to get into it. It wouldn't be America's biggest sport for much longer.

They train specifically for a sport which is a sprint as it were.

They also have the padding due to the helmet. Many players were dying so they were told helmet or sport is banned. Helmet of that type makes the player a missile.

There is so much technique wise which means that not necessarily the best athlete makes it in the Nfl that it would have to be at minimum a regular school sport in those countries and even then the lack of coaches would mean it was decades behind.

International and big premiership games are getting decent ratings on ESPN and with the constant growth of Latinos soccer will become one of the more popular sports in 20 years in America.

They train specifically for a sport which is a sprint as it were.

They also have the padding due to the helmet. Many players were dying so they were told helmet or sport is banned. Helmet of that type makes the player a missile.

There is so much technique wise which means that not necessarily the best athlete makes it in the Nfl that it would have to be at minimum a regular school sport in those countries and even then the lack of coaches would mean it was decades behind.

Which is why saying Americans would dominate Soccer because they have the superior athletes is stupid.

International and big premiership games are getting decent ratings on ESPN and with the constant growth of Latinos soccer will become one of the more popular sports in 20 years in America.

12-18 million average ratings for any major US game
MLS stadiums always packed with fans
foreign afternoon games ( like man U vs FCB in 2011 ) pulls 5 million in ratings ( bigger than UFC and boxing )

saying soccer is not popular in the US is even more wrong than saying boxing is dying

IDK know about the whole rugby thing. I'm sure some could have success in the NFL. I haven't exactly watched a lot of rugby. From what I have seen though. There's no one even remotely close to the beast that is Adrian Peterson.

What the hell happened to this thread, LOL

Alright let me break it down gents...........

Zero idea what you're point is here but fine. I love American sports. That said, no one plays "football" in any specific organised programmes outside America. There are things like semi pro leagues in Finland and Germany but it isn't organised sports.

America and Latin America and Japan play baseball. Good for you.

Basketball is played moderately in eastern Europe.

Ice hockey... Eastern Europe.

EVERYBODY plays football ( soccer trololol). If America wanted to win it would try. It doesn't want to, MLS isn't a good league and the top players don't play for top teams.

USA doesn't win everything based on if they want it. Top footballers earn $325k per week. You're telling me that top athletes in America would ignore that?

BULLSHIT!

-Now if you meant "America" as in the continent then fine, you're right, but if you meant it as in the USA (which you probably did considering you called it "American sports") then you're wrong. Canada has a little something called the CFL, a pro league, and Mexicos collegiate league is growing every year in size, skill, sponsorship and participation

I like how you left out that Basketball is pretty damn popular in the most populated country on earth or that it's pretty big in many latin american countries.

I also like how "EVERYBODY plays football", well that's except most Chinese/Indians/Pakistanis/Americans/etc.......you know, pretty big populations actually.

You're all wrong. Theres no interest in soccer in the US. Thats why the US has no foothold in the sport. Because we don't give a shit about it.

Our best athletes are all some of the best in the world. Theres no reason they wouldn't be if they played soccer too.

BULLSHIT!

-Interest in the US in soccer is night and day from even five years ago. You live in "the sticks" Seano, get out to a big market. Soccer is very popular. Our local MLS league has the youngest demographic of all major sports and the generations that are coming up are growing up with soccer available to them at the push of a button unlike generations before. There's a reason the major networks have been bidding against each other for EPL/WorldCup/MLS/MexicanLeague/etc like never before. For not having a "foothold" on a sport we do pretty damn well, winner of our world cup group over the overrated english and been to every world cup since we got a league.

The fact that you say we have some of the best athletes in the world and they would do well in soccer shows your ignorance. It is not like football/basketball/boxing/baseball that can be picked up at a relatively advanced age as a youth and you can still become world class. In soccer, if you haven't already begun mastering technique by a very early age then it doesn't matter what an incredible athlete you grow up to be.

The best NFL players are actually in rugby
The best NASCAR drivers are actually in F1.
Most of the best boxers aren't from the US

BULLSHIT!

- The best NFL players are IN NFL. Just like the best Rugby players are in Rugby. Two different sports. The level of violent hits in high level Gridiron eclipses anything you can find in rugby, there's no point of comparison. Ignorant lads across the pond always acting like rugby players are so tough because they don't wear pads and a helmet, LOL, those are weapons that create a more violent environment than you can find in any rugby match. I've played both, love both, but the rugby chest thumpers are clueless and are the equivalent of the ignorant American who talks about soccer as if he has a clue.

Same thing goes for your silly NASCAR analogy. Two different sports. Might as well say all the best boxers are in mma or vice versa. Our top drivers grew up with NASCAR and the Indy 500 in mind, not F1.

You're right most of the best boxers aren't from the US, but THE BEST boxer is from the US as are THE GREATEST boxers of all time.

Deal with it Mofo's

/thread

IDK know about the whole rugby thing. I'm sure some could have success in the NFL. I haven't exactly watched a lot of rugby. From what I have seen though. There's no one even remotely close to the beast that is Adrian Peterson.

impressive .

his 100 meter dash is 10.33 seconds tho , still slower than girly and unathletic soccer player theo walcott

impressive .

his 100 meter dash is 10.33 seconds tho , still slower than girly and unathletic soccer player theo walcott

He has football speed. Theo Walcott doesn't. Anyone who has ever played football knows the difference. I did track and football, also basketball, but that's beside the point.. I got beat in the 100m dash by guys who didn't have a chance with me on the football field.

Back