Sergio Martinez invited to meet Pope Francis

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Called this one. I was sort of sarcastic and didn't actually think it would happen though. He will be the first boxer to meet with a pope.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-martinez-sit-down-with-pope-francis--70394

New York, NY - Next Wednesday, Middleweight Champion and pound-for-pounder Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez will have the opportunity of a lifetime when he sits down one-on-one with Pope Francis. The meeting between the two Argentineans will take place at the Vatican, and will mark the first time a professional fighter has had a one-on-one closed session meeting with the Pope since Muhammad Ali.

Martinez, who intends to speak about his anti-bullying and domestic violence against women campaigns, is absolutely ecstatic about the meeting.

"In the past couple of months, I will have had two of my dreams as a Catholic come true, to visit the Basilica of our Lady Guadalupe in Mexico and to be received by the Pope. I will be asking the Pope for blessings and spiritual protection to all of those who enter the ring," said Martinez.

"In his short time as leader of the Catholic Church, this gentle Pope from Argentina has already changed the dialogue of his people. I am thrilled that Sergio will have a private audience with Pope Francis and that he will be able to discuss his campaigns against bullying and domestic violence," said promoter Lou DiBella.

"Sergio Martinez continues to make history in our sport by having this historic meeting with Pope Francis. I'm very happy for Sergio, because as the great champion and great person that he is, he has earned this tremendous opportunity and honor of having this meeting," said longtime advisor Sampson Lewkowicz.

"Sergio's passion to help out people in need and who are down on their luck has truly exemplified the fact that you do not need to act brash or lack any tact in order for people to respect you in the boxing world. He is a great role model for young athletes around the world," added Nathan Lewkowicz, V.P. of Sampson Boxing.

Sergio will be accompanied to the meeting by longtime business manager Miguel De Pablos and Victor Gonzales, who was instrumental in the organization and staging of Martinez's last middleweight title defense in front of 50,000+ adoring Argentineans earlier this year. Sergio will be presenting the Pope with a special edition WBC green belt, with a picture of Pope Francis as well as the flag of the Vatican.

Dude is having a serious religious moment and we still have to push this anti-bullying paranoia zeitgeist.

Good for Sergio, but holy fucking shit i'm sick of hearing about bullying

I'm surprised a Klitschko wasn't invited to meet the pope. It would be great for their image or political reasons.

A small amount of bullying/male posturing in middle/high school is a good thing as it helps to toughen up boys who may be naturally shy or submissive or lacking in assertiveness....its only bad when it gets excessive and personal or threatening.

A slight amount of bullying directed at a shy low self confidence male is the best thing you can do for him...Ignoring the problem and allowing him to continue on as a weak low self confidence non-assertive male without correction is the worst thing you can do for him. But that is what is commonly happening because of these idiotic left wing "destroy bullying" campaigns.

Like I said excessive bullying is wrong.

It's the same logic behind having a tough firm no nonsense father figure who will be quickly to come down on a son who he thinks is acting soft or not conducting himself like a man....It's usually a great thing for the sons long term well being unless the father is abusive instead of just tough and firm.

AnimalFan, what's your job and have you ever suffered from anxiety or depression?

A small amount of bullying/male posturing in middle/high school is a good thing as it helps to toughen up boys who may be naturally shy or submissive or lacking in assertiveness....its only bad when it gets excessive and personal or threatening.

A slight amount of bullying directed at a shy low self confidence male is the best thing you can do for him...Ignoring the problem and allowing him to continue on as a weak low self confidence non-assertive male without correction is the worst thing you can do for him. But that is what is commonly happening because of these idiotic left wing "destroy bullying" campaigns.

Like I said excessive bullying is wrong.

It's the same logic behind having a tough firm no nonsense father figure who will be quickly to come down on a son who he thinks is acting soft or not conducting himself like a man....It's usually a great thing for the sons long term well being unless the father is abusive instead of just tough and firm.

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me. All of us were bullied at one time or another I'm sure, but I doubt that many would agree that it helped up in the long run.

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me. All of us were bullied at one time or another I'm sure, but I doubt that many would agree that it helped up in the long run.

Well maybe Martinez has been bullied as a kid and it got him into boxing?

Anyway, lot's of fighters took up combat sports because of bullying or used their past bullying experience as motivation. Examples are GSP and Tyson.

But it's all a matter of personality, enviroment, specific characteristics of the bullying, social group (family) and luck. Some bully victims become world champions, some kill themselves before they're adult. Therefore I think an absolute pro-/anti-bullying stance is a bit ignorant.

But the bottom-line is, bullying will never dissapear. There will always be kids who pick on other kids because they're smaller or weaker or whatever. The least that can be done is keep the bullying out of enviroments such as school or sports, because kids need a pleasant enviroment to develop their minds without negative distraction. They'll deal with bullies on their own time.

I'm surprised a Klitschko wasn't invited to meet the pope. It would be great for their image or political reasons.
Isnt he orthodox?
Unlike protestants, they still hold onto their grudge against the heretical Roman Catholic Church.

Back