Sergio Garibay custom punch/focus mitts review

babydrew7

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Sergio Garibay Custom Punch Mitts

These are the same style and make of mitts worn by Freddie Roach, Robert Garcia and many other boxing trainers. To my knowledge, he makes a few different styles of mitts. A thick air mitt. A mid sized mitt and a small micro mitt. This review will be done on a pair of micro mitts that Sergio made for me about one year ago. Sergio can use almost any color pallet that you can think of. He can also do lettering and designs. I believe basic, less detailed lettering work is typically covered with the base price of the mitt, while more elaborate designs and extensive lettering may be extra . I believe he can also use exotic leathers that may be more expensive. However the leather that he uses in his base models is more then good quality ! These are custom made ,so they will be made for you specifically! If I remember correctly , I was asked for my height and weight as well as the thickness of my hands. I was also asked to send a tracing of my hands and wrists. Being that I consider myself a padsmith lol , I will do a thorough review based on every aspect of what I feel is important to me.

Quality of materials - excellent.good quality durable REAL leather.with genuine leather smell.lol. padding is good quality as well and has remained unchanged.strong thread.

Craftmenship-except for the leather getting a little less rigid.these pads have remained unchanged for the year that I have had them. When I first got them, I was curious about their life due to how pretty they were ,and to a degree, cause they had a hand made type of look to them, even though they are definitely well made. I have never had a pad last this long while remaining unchanged. The stitch job on these is serious ! ...the stitching may not be as cosmetically perfect or as neat as some mass manufactured products, but in the case of these mitts, its a good thing ! These things are reinforced with extra stitching like crazy ! A very tightly made and sound product !

Style/ design- let's face it, most of us want something that looks good.you can take these home to mom ! Very pretty, but can get down and dirty. With ur imagination, I'm sure you can dress up a pair however you may want. as far as design, these mitts have an indentation in the middle that I thought at first would be weird n take away from the protection, but I was wrong.I believe the indentation creates a slight air pocket effect when hit with a boxing glove that covers the space. I think the energy of the shot gets dispersed to the outer ring since that's where the shot lands first and the padding there seems thicker and softer. Also due to the pocket, there is a awesome POP sound created. These have the best sweet spot I have ever seen ! They tell you when someone is punching right !

Fit- perfect fit. Has a velcro strap that can really lock ur hand down ,or u can leave it set to where u can slide in and out with enough tightness to have the pad stay put respectfully, however due to the lack of a grip ball, these do fit better for me if I strap them down tight. They are slightly curved, so they do conture to the hand fairly well.

Protection for holder- being that these are micros and meant to be slim and small. They may be better suited for speed or technical work. They may not be ideal for trainers to wear if they are prone to any bad hand,wrist,forearm,elbow and shoulder aches. However if u are not prone to these problems ,these will be more then fine. Pound for pound, these things take a good shot and are comparable in protection to good mid sized pads on the market. They definitely out perform their size. Yet again, if u are prone to bad aches, these are not a big protective mitt. Sergios air mitts may be better suited for power drills or huge punchers. However Freddie Roach seems to manage with Paq pretty well with his micros.

Protection for puncher- these are neither soft nor hard, id say they are almost in the middle but more on the firmer side. I have never had a complaint from the striker.

Maneuverability-you can move well with these. They are light and well balanced ! They sit well on the hand and don't need much adjustment during ur rounds if you strap them down.

Versatility- is good, better then most if u keep in mind how small this mitt is. It is small,but performs like a mid size mitt as far as padding and protection .can be used with various types,sizes n styles of fighters.

Wrap up

Positives- Life!!!!! Customization. Maneuverability.Great sweet spot ! Probably the best I ever heard. small but performs like a mid size.

Things I would add or take away- a grip ball. I personally think a small grip ball like the one in the ring to cage micro mitts, would make the fit n control of this perfect...for me I think the finger compartment could be a little tighter on my fingers...

Two different ways to conclude this.

Overall , for an over all mitt, I would give this an 8.5...with more protection, a grip ball and tighter finger compartment I can see it being a ten Overall though ,grading on a scale due to it being a micro mitt in essence, it out performs its small size to the point u forget its a micro.so, on that note, I give it a 9 , with a grip ball n tighter fingers probably making it perfect for the class of a small mitt.

Well there you have it.I'm a pad fiend and am always looking for the perfect mitt. I find that for me at least ,probably due to some aches and pains I have, some are good for somethings and others for others. I get in MOODS where I prefer a certain pad depending on what I'm doin and how I'm feeling. These are a pad I always find myself going back too. Especially for teaching technique. I think that's where these shine most ! But they also do well as a good overall mitt with exceptional life ! I am ordering a pair of the air mitts soon to help with some of the aches I have from time to time.from what I heard they offer amazing protection...I will let you know when I get them.

5x95bp.jpg

2cbi4g.jpg

2ljgqr7.jpg

2dtreid.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent review Drew! I think this may be the first product by Sergio Garibay reviewed on the boards.

How do these compare to the R2C micro mitts? I was thinking about picking up a pair.

Very unique pads and an excellent review as well Drew.

They must be extremely good quality, they certainly look it.

I've seen both Roach and Garcia rotate between these and the Winning pads.

roach20111208.jpg

freddie%20roach_thumb_300.jpg

Might have to look into some I think. How much did yours cost?

Edit: Here are his contact details.

"If you are ever interested in stepping up your game in training,
you can contact Sergio Garibay at (323)422-5104 or [email protected]".

thanks ! I will tell you what. The r2c micro is a neat little pad. I wish I could use it more, because they are really comfortable and really conform to the hand well. But, even though they are thicker then Sergios, and they are actually more protective in the sense that you don't feel crap through the pad cause the padding is awesome, there is a draw back...at least for me..due to the make up of the padding n how little they are, they tend to feel like they are being pushed !...there is more of a dull thud, which the pads absorb the shots well, but due to the make up of the padding n gel, it pushes the pad n I have to over compensate by being more rigid with my forearms n wrist .this is a issue I have..my forearms get really ached by this.the pad literally sits in ur hand so due to the lack of wrist support or coverage, I overcompensate too much with other parts of my arm...but they are neat, feel great on the hand. There is they extra foam that is soft n plush that covers.the finger tips...its a good concept but it feels like its just a rush or cheap job.it moves around too much, sometimes ur finger tips don't get covered equally...good concept I hope they improve...the quality of materials can't compare to Sergios though...the wrist strap on them fits well, but something about it makes me feel that it won't last long....idk......the thing the r2c have over Sergios are the grip ball which makes the pad lay perfect in the hand.n the mobility due to their size....I would also say hand padding BUT. It's a double edged sword cause the shock get transferred to the arm.....the Sergios the shots POP n ricochette off more...u may feel more through the pad to the hand but its not uncomfortable...there's a better balance of impact.......but the ring to cages are a neat little toy...ul love wearing them, but at the end of the day they may not be too practical.....idk at least that's how it is for me...

Excellent review Drew! I think this may be the first product by Sergio Garibay reviewed on the boards.

How do these compare to the R2C micro mitts? I was thinking about picking up a pair.

Thank you....the quality is great.when I first got them I really couldn't appreciate the quality until some time passed....and they remained solid, while pads I got after them developed clear changes...this told me a lot...they are nice looking mitts, but with time, ul appreciate them even more...roach and Garcia also have his airmitts as well....roach has a ton of his pads....I have pics of about 8 or ten pair of micros and air pads...

The price I don't wanna quote with confidence, cause it could be different compared to different things...but mine were 220 total shipped...

Discharge
Very unique pads and an excellent review as well Drew.

They must be extremely good quality, they certainly look it.

I've seen both Roach and Garcia rotate between these and the Winning pads.

roach20111208.jpg

freddie%20roach_thumb_300.jpg

Might have to look into some I think. How much did yours cost?

Edit: Here are his contact details.

"If you are ever interested in stepping up your game in training,
you can contact Sergio Garibay at (323)422-5104 or [email protected]".

Thank you !

QUOTE=Tone C;62396593]nice review.[/QUOTE]

Awesome review. Thanks for the pics. Sergio makes the best looking mitts out there. The guy is a true artist and master of his craft.

I've been considering making my own gear for quite some time and have been second guessing my decision(due to lack of help), but Sergio's kind words and his own work have inspired me to give it a shot.

babydrew7, your screen name didn't ring a bell but I recognize your mitts. You post on boxingscene as well, don't you?

Yes sir ..I love boxing scene ..!.let me know if u make any gear..I may be interested...especially if u do custom work or take requests....
Awesome review. Thanks for the pics. Sergio makes the best looking mitts out there. The guy is a true artist and master of his craft.

I've been considering making my own gear for quite some time and have been second guessing my decision(due to lack of help), but Sergio's kind words and his own work have inspired me to give it a shot.

babydrew7, your screen name didn't ring a bell but I recognize your mitts. You post on boxingscene as well, don't you?

Those are some bad ass looking mitts man!

What kind of gear do you plan on making?

Those are some bad ass looking mitts man!

What kind of gear do you plan on making?

I started out just wanting to make gloves, but I am also interested in making custom Thai pads and shin guards. Pretty much anything boxing/mma related. I just want to concentrate on a few core items first, then expand as I get better.

Yes sir ..I love boxing scene ..!.let me know if u make any gear..I may be interested...especially if u do custom work or take requests....

I have a love/hate thing with boxingscene.

My journey has just begun. I picked up a leather sewing machine and I'm starting my sewing lessons next week. I'm sure it'll be a long while before I make something close to presentable for the public. I'll be sure keep you in mind for product testing. ;)

that would be awesome ! I would appreciate the confidence n product.. !
I have a love/hate thing with boxingscene.

My journey has just begun. I picked up a leather sewing machine and I'm starting my sewing lessons next week. I'm sure it'll be a long while before I make something close to presentable for the public. I'll be sure keep you in mind for product testing. ;)

This thread is so cool. I've also been noodling around with making my own glove in my downtime here in Korea. I'm currently researching different leathers and means of customization as well as several water colors on design. I would like to make a few eventually as art pieces for display then the rigors of day to day gym use...

This thread is so cool. I've also been noodling around with making my own glove in my downtime here in Korea. I'm currently researching different leathers and means of customization as well as several water colors on design. I would like to make a few eventually as art pieces for display then the rigors of day to day gym use...

I'd love to see some of your idea. I'd be more than willing to share any information and knowledge I pick up along the way.

Do you plan on hand stitching or using a machine?

sorry for hijacking your thread, drew.

It's all good
I'd love to see some of your idea. I'd be more than willing to share any information and knowledge I pick up along the way.

Sweet. Since I'm in Korea I'm having a hard time deciding on the hand sewn vs machine. More then anything it would be up to cost. Koreans do good work as tailors so who's to say they couldn't sew a glove together? My major obstacle is that leather itself is pretty expensive here from what I've seen...

I figured on my next vacation (after this one to China) I'll take a look at Thailand's factories and see how their gloves are made...

Ultimately I'd like to have a pair of gloves that are comparable to a pair of Japanese raw denim jeans but not at such exorbitant prices...

Sweet. Since I'm in Korea I'm having a hard time deciding on the hand sewn vs machine. More then anything it would be up to cost. Koreans do good work as tailors so who's to say they couldn't sew a glove together? My major obstacle is that leather itself is pretty expensive here from what I've seen...

I figured on my next vacation (after this one to China) I'll take a look at Thailand's factories and see how their gloves are made...

Ultimately I'd like to have a pair of gloves that are comparable to a pair of Japanese raw denim jeans but not at such exorbitant prices...

I tried to get a tour of Fairtex "Factory" which is just a small building at their Bangplee gym, but they said no.

Back