Sergei Pavlovich is a bulldozer

Being a step above brawlers like Tui and Lewis is good but I want to see him in a longer fight against a top HW.

Because he wants to actually evolve and get better, not get KO'd by MW's as a HW.

Lol. I think Fedor being KOd by Hendo has more to do with the fact Fedor if he lost his fat is really a large MW or small LHW. He was 224lbs vs Hendo and chubby in that fight. Fedor is not a real HW. A real HW with the skull size of Ngannou would not be KOd by that shot that Hendo through.

Ganes grappling skills are awful.

I am not so sure. He looked bad vs Ngannou but Ngannou is not a bad grappler himself. Ngannou has submissions against decent opponents and has out wrestled Blaydes and Stipe and has shown an improved skillset.
He opens himself up for massive counters as he storms in, imagine if he does that vs Ngannou. Not saying he'd lose but man..

Ngannou does the same. It is called timing. The reason Ngannou is seldom hit is he has good timing and catches them before they get him. His 83 inch reach is a factor. As is Pavlovich 84 inch reach helps.

When you learn striking it becomes important. It is near impossible to go on the offensive and not leave an opening especially when you are on the assault with a barrage of punches or strikes.

Now personally I think if they fight Sergei must have a different approach vs Ngannou

I mean how the hell do you deal with him? Maybe a Francis Ngannou or Curtis Blaydes type. He just comes in and bullrushes. It's hard to see anyone deal with his aggression and I feel his grappling might be adequate

I agree, dudes gonna be a problem. And I'm probably jumping the gun in a big way here, but if you put him in there with Ngannou, I'm going Pav all the way. Just seems cleaner and more composed with his strikes, while also having absurd power.

What I really want to see is Pav/Gane. That's one hell of an interesting clash of striking styles.

He opens himself up for massive counters as he storms in, imagine if he does that vs Ngannou. Not saying he'd lose but man..

NGannou does the same thing though, leaving himself open. Similar to NGannou, Pavlovitch is a superior athlete with a distinct speed and reach advantage over basically everyone and hits damn hard, maybe not as hard as NGannou but hard enough. They can often get away with looping shots and defensive irresponsibility and overzealousness at HW when you boast such huge advantages.

I have no confidence in Sergei vs Gane/Francis/Blaydes/Aspinall, not because I think he's worse than them but because I think either could beat the other. The one thing Sergei has is youth. Aspinal 29, Sergei 30, Blaydes 31, Gane 32, NGannou 36...

Sergei should maybe go work with a boxing coach or out of a boxing gym exclusively for a little while. I feel like he is a bulldozer..Comes forward aggressively, is hard to stop and slings leather but he is open down the middle and could benefit from some footwork, anngles, head movement, blocking and cleaner punches. The right boxing coach and gym could do a lot for him.

Lol. I think Fedor being KOd by Hendo has more to do with the fact Fedor if he lost his fat is really a large MW or small LHW. He was 224lbs vs Hendo and chubby in that fight. Fedor is not a real HW. A real HW with the skull size of Ngannou would not be KOd by that shot that Hendo through.

I am not so sure. He looked bad vs Ngannou but Ngannou is not a bad grappler himself. Ngannou has submissions against decent opponents and has out wrestled Blaydes and Stipe and has shown an improved skillset.

Also Ngannou has a dynamite chin. He got clipped clean on the tip of the chin sprinting forward against KO artist Rozenstruik and it didn't even face him.

Ngannou does the same. It is called timing. The reason Ngannou is seldom hit is he has good timing and catches them before they get him. His 83 inch reach is a factor. As is Pavlovich 84 inch reach helps.

When you learn striking it becomes important. It is near impossible to go on the offensive and not leave an opening especially when you are on the assault with a barrage of punches or strikes.

Now personally I think if they fight Sergei must have a different approach vs Ngannou
NGannou does the same thing though, leaving himself open. Similar to NGannou, Pavlovitch is a superior athlete with a distinct speed and reach advantage over basically everyone and hits damn hard, maybe not as hard as NGannou but hard enough. They can often get away with looping shots and defensive irresponsibility and overzealousness at HW when you boast such huge advantages.

I have no confidence in Sergei vs Gane/Francis/Blaydes/Aspinall, not because I think he's worse than them but because I think either could beat the other. The one thing Sergei has is youth. Aspinal 29, Sergei 30, Blaydes 31, Gane 32, NGannou 36...

Sergei should maybe go work with a boxing coach or out of a boxing gym exclusively for a little while. I feel like he is a bulldozer..Comes forward aggressively, is hard to stop and slings leather but he is open down the middle and could benefit from some footwork, anngles, head movement, blocking and cleaner punches. The right boxing coach and gym could do a lot for him.

I agree, I just think Ngannou is the much, much heavier puncher. And Sergei's head is stiff as a board in the middle when he moves forward.

Ngannou got a dynamite chin as well. When he sprinted forward full speed KO artist Rozenstruik clipped him clean on the tip of the chin and it did nothing.

I mean how the hell do you deal with him? Maybe a Francis Ngannou or Curtis Blaydes type. He just comes in and bullrushes. It's hard to see anyone deal with his aggression and I feel his grappling might be adequate

Gane is larger and quicker. Francis is larger and more powerful. Blaydes can probably take him down and beat the shit out of him.

He’s no joke though and we’ll probably get to see him fight every ranked HW at some point.

He looks very good, obviously has big power but he is pretty quick too.

That jab looked like a mallet going into tais face
Exciting 'new' contender for hw

not brawling, cause he will knock you the fuck out
he has shown weak grappling in reem fight maybe thats the way
gane may be able to out technique him to a decision too

yep Reem tossed him to the ground and layed some brutal gnp on him but that was 4 years ago…we’ll see if he’s improved his grappling and bottom game

On the feet he's a murderer and it's time for a top-ranked opponent but what about his grappling? Can he stuff takedowns? Get back up?

And also... Dolidze invented the worst TKO I've ever seen

Invent? The calf slicer back mount is old as shit.

Wrestlers were doing that in the ring way back in the black and white film pre TV days.

There was definitely skill to his chaos. Even when he had tai hurt and on the fence chasing the finish with big power shots. He was moving his head off the center line with each one to make sure Tai didn’t clip him on a counter attack

I don't remember the fight too well, but didn't Sergei (albeit a 26 year old) get whupped by old Overeem? I remember Overeem making Sergei look like a fish outta water on the ground.

I guess lucky for Sergei that not many HW's can really do that to him, besides Blaydes, Aspinall, Stipe (assuming he's not completely washed), and maybe Naganu.

Yeah, but he got thrown to the wolves early on with that Overeem fight. Yeah, he had a bit of a buzz as one of the best upcoming HWs outside the UFC, but getting Overeem in your first UFC fight after only fighting in Russia before is a bit rough.

KO’D tuivasa and Lewis in the first round like it was nothing. Crazy. Want to see him vs Gane
The stoppage against Lewis was beyond awful. Lewis was barely hurt, let alone finished. He tko'd Tuivasa. Pavlovich only has 2 actual KOs in his entire career. He's a thudding puncher, not a switch your lights off kind of guy.

I agree Gane is the fight to make though. Need to keep him far away from the likes of Blaydes and Aspinall.

The fight went pretty much as I expected: Pavlovich charges forward and connect first thanks to his straigh punches and his 84" reach, Tai absorbs, swings bombs, lands a few but not enough.

Now, we need to see what happens when he faces a good wrestler like Blaydes or Aspinall, a very mobile and evasive striker with good reach like Gane, or a very good counter puncher with long reach and an iron chin like Ngannou.

Aside Overeem, Pavlovich had weak opposition or favourable matchups so far. The serious business is just about to begin.

The stoppage against Lewis was beyond awful. Lewis was barely hurt, let alone finished. He tko'd Tuivasa. Pavlovich only has 2 actual KOs in his entire career. He's a thudding puncher, not a switch your lights off kind of guy.

I agree Gane is the fight to make though. Need to keep him far away from the likes of Blaydes and Aspinall.

He face planted Lewis and if the ref didnt stop it he would have continued to beat on him. Saved Lewis more beats.
Very impressive how easily he has put away his last few opponents, I think the worst matchup for him might be Blaydes as Blaydes might be able to pin him down and we havnt seen enough of Sergei's ground game as he hasnt given anyone a chance yet.

Didn’t he take the Reem fight on really short notice? Should beat him regardless but yeah…

You never chase a big man with KO power.

Back