Sergei Pavlovich has trained with many top grapplers for years. Yet we have not seen his skill set

This is like 4 years old but I keep fucking posting it because I'm a psycho

Turn your volume up and listen to the god damn GnP

Every time I watch it I get more and more disgusted.

Sergei gets put out completely by the first shot with like 48 seconds left in the round, then proceeds to eat another 10 as the ref repeatedly yells at him to "fight back" while he is completely unconscious and on his side at the end before it gets stopped with 40 seconds left (so an extra 8 seconds of getting GnP'd by first round Overeem while unconscious and stuck against the cage).

Luckily that wasn't a career ender and he got a long layoff before fighting some lighter competition - that type of damage can be potentially career-ending, some guys are never the same after it happens.

He got out-grappled by Francis with a bum knee who never did that to anyone before…
That being said I think he was also hesitant on the feet with Francis because he has felt his power and knows it’s no joke.
Ngannou would do that to most of the HW roster, we haven't seen it because it's much faster for him to knock them out.
Gane is not a great grappler, but he is above average at HW.

Turtles up after 2 shots?

Definitely someone who wont instantly break after eating a hard shot from Ngannou or Gane.
he looked to calm on the ground and got popped hard. I think it shocked him but as you said not something you don't want to see if he's going to fight Big Frank

From his wikipedia page he grew up wrestling and has trained at Akhmat gym and with Cormier before

""At the age of 5, Pavlovich began to engage in Greco-Roman wrestling under the guidance of coach Alexander Fedorovich Aloyan. He was engaged in wrestling until the 11th grade. After serving in the army, he began to engage in army hand-to-hand fighting and combat sambo.[6]""

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Pavlovich

Any guess how his grappling may be?

When fighters strike, you demand grappling
When they grapple, you demand striking

Then they cry that the world isn't fair

he looked to calm on the ground and got popped hard. I think it shocked him but as you said not something you don't want to see if he's going to fight Big Frank

Its easy for a talented fighter like Sergei to look like a world-beater when everything is going his way. But as we saw when he fought Overeem the moment he experienced adversity he wilted.

Theres no shame in that. Very few fighters at the top have the fortitude to survive an onslaught, especially at HW, while hurt but thats what separates elite fighters from those who simply have elite skills.

Lmao not at all. Why because he landed a heel hook in the 3rd of a fight he was dominating?

Gane's TDs are shite. He has a 20% accuracy. Couldn't get Lewis, Boser or Volkov down who all have horrendous TDD. Went 2/14 on TDs against a kickboxer in Rozenstruik and couldn't even control him as Jairzinho got back up immediately from both TDs. The only fight where Gane's grappling and TDs looked good was against Don'Tale Mayes

Francis with a torn MCL and partially torn ACL outgrappled Gane and looked like Gable Steveson lmaoooo. There is only an illusion that Gane is a good grappler since the division is at an all time low in submission grappling ability when you have low level one dimensional brawlers and strikers like Tai, Lewis, Daukaus, Rozenstruik, Pavlovich in the top 10.

You cant be this braindead. The level of grappling at HW has been dogshit for years. Gane having more subs (against regional level HWs) than the likes of Francis, Derrick Lewis, Tai Tuivasa, Rozenstruik, Chris Daukauas, Volkov, Stipe etc. means absolutely nothing. We're not talking a HW division that has good submission grapplers and talent in that aspect it hasnt in over a decade. And Gane doesnt even have the most subs in the UFC out of any top 15 HW right now so the point is wrong anyways

Espino (42yo and took like 7 years off in MMA before returning randomly lmao), Romanov, Spivak, Jailton (really a LHW) and Aspinall are the only competent submission grapplers at UFC HW right now and Espino is probably done fighting. Shot Shamil and Ivanov are still somehow ranked and among the best grapplers today lmaoooo

you're kinda making his point for him. grappling at HW has been dogshit for years which is why Gane is rated above average. he's not saying Gane is above average grappler in general, but in context to the rest of the division he is. it's like you said, most of the top 10-15 is consisted of 1 dimensional brawlers. you don't have to exhibit that much grappling in order to look better than people who exhibit 0 grappling.

it's funny that you forgot to mention Blaydes who is probably a better grappler than all of the guys you listed too. it also isn't really a negative to be outgrappled by Francis. he also took down and outgrappled Stipe in the 2nd fight.

This is like 4 years old but I keep fucking posting it because I'm a psycho

Turn your volume up and listen to the god damn GnP

Thanks, nice. I like it when you can hear the audio like that.

Sergei had plenty of time to improve since the Reem fight. Training with Cormier should've helped his ground game a lot. But in the end, we won't know how much he has improved until he fights a good grappler.

Pavlovich today not the same guy four years ago, with that said, if Curtis can not get knocked out, we'll know but Sergei hits way too hard for everyone inside that division.

Because knocking people out is always and will always be cooler than grappling and grinding them.

He had very little to offer Overeem off of his back, well other than acting as his personal heavy bag.

In a division that is mostly comprised of strikers, I don’t think it’s an absolute dealbreaker though.

Back