Sergei Kharitonov Thread

vladimirvlad

MMA is my life
@Green
Reaction score
I'd say Sergei Kharitonov is another pioneer of Pride FC. Oh, Sergei hasn't hung up his gloves yet, and he's 39 years old now... "The Paratrooper"! Here are some moments from his lovely career:

Emelinanko loss

Murilo Rua stoppage

Another stoppage vs Choi Mu Bae

One of the most brutal finishes ever... (Semmy Schilt)

Alistair Overeem loss (knees to the head)

I think he ate a lot of knees to the head, and I praise his toughness. Nothing but respect! Your thoughts?

a big what-if considering how out of control his weight got from 2009 onwards
if he had stayed dedicated he could have been an all-time great HW

a big what-if considering how out of control his weight got from 2009 onwards
if he had stayed dedicated he could have been an all-time great HW
Yes, he didn't stay on the right track. Unfortunately, I agree with you about that.

Ive always been a big fan of Sergei, especially during his PRIDE days. He was the complete package: great striking, brutal ground and pound, physical prowess, a granite chin, and good sub defense. His destruction of Ninja, Semmy, and Rizzo are some of my favorites; they really showcase the livershot, pin-point accuracy, and ground and pound.
Now he is old, fat, and has no ground game...having said that he can still about KO anyone in the HW division if they keep it standing. If he hadnt neglected his ground game and instead evolved with the sport I have no doubts he would be an all-time HW.

i love Sergei, i have all his mma bouts except 2 that i can't find in storm 8.

Have they pulled his balls out of his stomach yet? :eek:

Ive always been a big fan of Sergei, especially during his PRIDE days. He was the complete package: great striking, brutal ground and pound, physical prowess, a granite chin, and good sub defense. His destruction of Ninja, Semmy, and Rizzo are some of my favorites; they really showcase the livershot, pin-point accuracy, and ground and pound.
Now he is old, fat, and has no ground game...having said that he can still about KO anyone in the HW division if they keep it standing. If he hadnt neglected his ground game and instead evolved with the sport I have no doubts he would be an all-time HW.
Yeah, he was a real stand-up beast.

I loved Sergei. One of the few fighters including today that would attack the body. Left hooks to the body.
Sergei Fabio Maldonado ( believe or not) and even pico have the best left hooks to the body in mma that I can recall at the moment.

as mentioned the Sammy fight was just a brutal beat down. You could hear each of those hammerfist clobbering Semmy. And the ring white canvas and the aesthetics of pride were unbelievable.

somebody get a god damn ring for mma and have rules that mimick a fight.

When I watch old pride fights it makes me piss and moan about the positions today where you have no offense.
You can’t even tell who the better guy is a lot of times.
Like the bones smith fight. Talk about gaming the rules and really shine a light on how bad the current rules are.

it’s like in old pro wrestling when the guy would put his foot on the ropes to avoid the 3 count.
But mma rules are more absurd.

He was a monster in his pride fc days. But he wasted a lot of prime years fighting kickboxing instead of mma. Now days he is a powerful guy with limited ground and stamina but fun to watch

He was a monster in his pride fc days. But he wasted a lot of prime years fighting kickboxing instead of mma. Now days he is a powerful guy with limited ground and stamina but fun to watch
yup, agree, he hasn't hung up his gloves yet, a great warrior.

During the Emelianenko bros vs RTT/Sergei feud, I was more on the Red Devils side, but I've always been a Sergei fanboy...
His destruction of the undefeated Choi Mu-Bae (who was also a Bronze medal in Greco-Roman) was the first thing that made me notice him, since I was a big fan of "The Busan Tank" and predicted a bright future for him (yeah, yeah, can't win them all ^^ he still put on some entertaining bouts over the years, and his staredown with Sergei is potential GOAT) .

And then there was the K1 HW GOAT Semmy Schilt's destruction, which a lot of fighters commented on on camera after the fight. Big Nog praised Sergei's brutality, don't remember who were the other ones asked to react to it...
His dismanteling of UFC envoy Pedro Rizzo was brutal, I was cheering for "The Rock" to do well in PRIDE, but that combo Sergei finished him with was so beautiful, I couldn't even be mad.

Another thing I loved about Sergei, is that he's one of these MMA guys who got into kick-boxing (K1/Glory) even after this sport sadly lost a huge part of its fanbase... he didn't always get the best results, but he's fought the best HWs available, from Daniel Ghita, Jérôme Lebanner (way out of his prime, but still impressive), and Rico Verhoeven.

Sergei is one of these guys with a lot of great wins in MMA, but who sadly had a lot of bad luck when it came to timing, both for his losses and his wins.
The best fighter who never had a nickname for sure!

During the Emelianenko bros vs RTT/Sergei feud, I was more on the Red Devils side, but I've always been a Sergei fanboy...
His destruction of the undefeated Choi Mu-Bae (who was also a Bronze medal in Greco-Roman) was the first thing that made me notice him, since I was a big fan of "The Busan Tank" and predicted a bright future for him (yeah, yeah, can't win them all ^^ he still put on some entertaining bouts over the years, and his staredown with Sergei is potential GOAT) .

And then there was the K1 HW GOAT Semmy Schilt's destruction, which a lot of fighters commented on on camera after the fight. Big Nog praised Sergei's brutality, don't remember who were the other ones asked to react to it...
His dismanteling of UFC envoy Pedro Rizzo was brutal, I was cheering for "The Rock" to do well in PRIDE, but that combo Sergei finished him with was so beautiful, I couldn't even be mad.

Another thing I loved about Sergei, is that he's one of these MMA guys who got into kick-boxing (K1/Glory) even after this sport sadly lost a huge part of its fanbase... he didn't always get the best results, but he's fought the best HWs available, from Daniel Ghita, Jérôme Lebanner (way out of his prime, but still impressive), and Rico Verhoeven.

Sergei is one of these guys with a lot of great wins in MMA, but who sadly had a lot of bad luck when it came to timing, both for his losses and his wins.
The best fighter who never had a nickname for sure!

Ive forgotten so many fights over the years and the Rizzo fight I only remember destruction but no specifics. but the schilt and ninja fight I can remember that vividly.

gonna check those fights out before bed I. Particular Rizzo first. I watched the schilt fight not too long ago. But man, ninja should not have been in that tournament.
I may even remember it wrong. I though it was a he Grand Prix. But as I said. I don’t even know anymore. Lol.

Ive forgotten so many fights over the years and the Rizzo fight I only remember destruction but no specifics. but the schilt and ninja fight I can remember that vividly.

gonna check those fights out before bed I. Particular Rizzo first. I watched the schilt fight not too long ago. But man, ninja should not have been in that tournament.
I may even remember it wrong. I though it was a he Grand Prix. But as I said. I don’t even know anymore. Lol.

Very tough fighter and a legend of this sport.

At first I didn't realize he was a HW because his proportions were normal.

He masterfully destroyed Ninja Rua in HWGP or was that OWGP?

Back