Seph Smith on 5050, Ryan Hall, conceptual vs procedural teaching and more on OMR

Murdoch

Brown Belt
Reaction score
sephsmith.jpg

http://www.openmatradio.com/2014/05/13/episode-101-seph-smith-5050bjj/
This week we welcome 50/50 BJJ's Seph Smith to the show! Seph is a blackbelt under Ryan Hall and one of the head instructors at Fifty Fifty Jiu Jitsu. We discuss his path through the ranks including his time at Lloyd Irvin's academy, conceptual vs procedural training/teaching, sloths, what it means to be a martial artist and more.

Check out http://5050bjj.com/for more information about classes, how to secure Seph for a seminar and the upcoming Michelle Nicolini/Sofia Amarante Seminar at 5050.

In my brief time at 50/50, Seph was really nice to me and everyone else. His JJ is awesome too. I have fond memories of the man.

Seph is the man.

I remember watching you with Ryan and Cameron out here in Vegas for the Guard Pullers vs Team Takedown event. Do you still get to train with 5050? For some reason I didn't think you were training there anymore?

Seph is awesome; well worth the listen.

I remember watching you with Ryan and Cameron out here in Vegas for the Guard Pullers vs Team Takedown event. Do you still get to train with 5050? For some reason I didn't think you were training there anymore?

You know I wrestled in college myself, so I wasn't thrilled with the "Team Guard Pullers" name, but when you are going against a 3x NCAA Champ, 4x All-American, and UFC veteran, I guess you kind of have to roll with it. It was a great learning experience.

I trained with Ryan and Seph at Lloyd's for a year, and then for a little over a year at 50/50 as well. Now, I teach at my own academy with David Jacobs. We are all still good friends and will visit each each others schools for open mats.

You know I wrestled in college myself, so I wasn't thrilled with the "Team Guard Pullers" name, but when you are going against a 3x NCAA Champ, 4x All-American, and UFC veteran, I guess you kind of have to roll with it. It was a great learning experience.

I trained with Ryan and Seph at Lloyd's for a year, and then for a little over a year at 50/50 as well. Now, I teach at my own academy with David Jacobs. We are all still good friends and will visit each each others schools for open mats.

I don't think there was a single person that like the "Guard Pullers" name. I think it was just Brian's way of hyping it up. I know Ryan and Cameron both said they had nothing to do with the name.

I head Rock started up a new spot. It's awesome that you guys can do that and still cross train with 5050 on occasion.

Thanks to everyone that checked out the show. If you've got any feedback to improve things let me know by posting here, a pm or "info at openmatradio dot com"

I don't think there was a single person that like the "Guard Pullers" name. I think it was just Brian's way of hyping it up. I know Ryan and Cameron both said they had nothing to do with the name.

I head Rock started up a new spot. It's awesome that you guys can do that and still cross train with 5050 on occasion.

Thanks to everyone that checked out the show. If you've got any feedback to improve things let me know by posting here, a pm or "info at openmatradio dot com"

I recently discovered I can get a decent wifi connection at work (I work alone) and I have been mowing through these podcasts at work :icon_chee really good stuff! Alot of podcasts I start zoning out of after about 30-40 mins, but with these im constantly listening. One suggestion though, have you guys thought about a mobile version for the site? its not really the easiest to navigate on a smart phone. Other than that thanks and keep it up!

also would anyone recommend a really good episode? I just started listening to the show, and so far I have listened to Seph, Ryan Hall & John Danaher.

What are some of your guys favourites?

The interviewer's tendency to answer their own questions sometimes cut Seph off from speaking. Other than that this was one of the better jiu jitsu podcasts out there.

Other episodes I liked were Scotty's, Grippo's, Kurt, Paul Schreiner, Hall, Danaher.

I'll go back and listen to a lot of the old Fightworks episodes too, those were really interesting at the time.

The interviewer's tendency to answer their own questions sometimes cut Seph off from speaking. Other than that this was one of the better jiu jitsu podcasts out there.

Other episodes I liked were Scotty's, Grippo's, Kurt, Paul Schreiner, Hall, Danaher.

I'll go back and listen to a lot of the old Fightworks episodes too, those were really interesting at the time.

What can I say? I get excited sometimes haha.

I would encourage everyone to check out all of the Fightworks shows. I'm not sure if Caleb still has the archive going. Last few times I checked it seemed like just a few of the most recent shows were there.

Gambledub,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you're enjoying the archive. I'm biased regarding recommendations. What kind of things are you interested in? I can suggest more based off that.

Regarding an app, I have thought about it but I'm not sure how well it would be received as there are already apps that handle podcasts. Most people just sign up via the RSS feed and use the ios app or Stitcher. If it's something that people demand I'll look more into it.

What can I say? I get excited sometimes haha.

I would encourage everyone to check out all of the Fightworks shows. I'm not sure if Caleb still has the archive going. Last few times I checked it seemed like just a few of the most recent shows were there.

Gambledub,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you're enjoying the archive. I'm biased regarding recommendations. What kind of things are you interested in? I can suggest more based off that.

Regarding an app, I have thought about it but I'm not sure how well it would be received as there are already apps that handle podcasts. Most people just sign up via the RSS feed and use the ios app or Stitcher. If it's something that people demand I'll look more into it.

Not necessarily an app, I hear you talk about Sticher so I may have to look into it. I mean your actual website, eg if you have a smart phone go to sherdog and use the mobile version in comparison to the standard version, its much easier to navigate on a phone or mobile device that way.

As for what im intrested in, its hard to say lol. Anyone who has a very unique mindset or approach to BJJ really. I think im going to watch the adisa banjoko one next, the parallels of chess and bjj sounds interesting.

Not necessarily an app, I hear you talk about Sticher so I may have to look into it. I mean your actual website, eg if you have a smart phone go to sherdog and use the mobile version in comparison to the standard version, its much easier to navigate on a phone or mobile device that way.

As for what im intrested in, its hard to say lol. Anyone who has a very unique mindset or approach to BJJ really. I think im going to watch the adisa banjoko one next, the parallels of chess and bjj sounds interesting.

There will be some updates to the site over the next few months. Without taking sponsors or charging listeners, it's hard to justify adding costs to something that already costs me a lot of money. I may do an IndieGoGo to help pay for some new equipment and travel expenses.

Shows you might enjoy:
The Movement Mixtape Series: A series of shows that addressed a variety of issues that popped up during the various TLI scandals. The goal of the series was to show all the positive ways to engage in business, marketing and working in the community. We had people like Rener, Ryron, Fowler, Callos and more on.

The Nic Gregoriades episodes did well enough that we have our own podcast together called TheJourneyPodcast.com.

Scotty Nelson and Alberto Marchetti bring a cool perspective to the show. They own OTM/Lucky Gi and Manto respectively.

Dean Lister and Leo Viera both drop some cool stories that were previously never spoken about. Leo's regarding team breakups and Dean about almost dying.

Abraham Marte has a very cool life story and training environment.

Fan favorite guests that aren't "household names" would be Andreh Anderson, Pete the Greek, Adam Benshea and Mauricio Gomes (Roger Gracie's dad).

While we haven't used it in awhile we will be using the youtube channel more in the future. We have a series of interviews where we asked the same questions to a variety of guests to allow viewers to compare and contrast answers. You'll see how Eddie Bravo's answers differ from BJ Penn's and Saulo's.

Hope you enjoy it all!

There will be some updates to the site over the next few months. Without taking sponsors or charging listeners, it's hard to justify adding costs to something that already costs me a lot of money. I may do an IndieGoGo to help pay for some new equipment and travel expenses.

Shows you might enjoy:
The Movement Mixtape Series: A series of shows that addressed a variety of issues that popped up during the various TLI scandals. The goal of the series was to show all the positive ways to engage in business, marketing and working in the community. We had people like Rener, Ryron, Fowler, Callos and more on.

The Nic Gregoriades episodes did well enough that we have our own podcast together called TheJourneyPodcast.com.

Scotty Nelson and Alberto Marchetti bring a cool perspective to the show. They own OTM/Lucky Gi and Manto respectively.

Dean Lister and Leo Viera both drop some cool stories that were previously never spoken about. Leo's regarding team breakups and Dean about almost dying.

Abraham Marte has a very cool life story and training environment.

Fan favorite guests that aren't "household names" would be Andreh Anderson, Pete the Greek, Adam Benshea and Mauricio Gomes (Roger Gracie's dad).

While we haven't used it in awhile we will be using the youtube channel more in the future. We have a series of interviews where we asked the same questions to a variety of guests to allow viewers to compare and contrast answers. You'll see how Eddie Bravo's answers differ from BJ Penn's and Saulo's.

Hope you enjoy it all!

Thanks! Keep up the good work!

Awesome podcast guys!!!

I've always wanted to go out and train there but NoVA is so expensive to stay at :icon_sad:

Awesome podcast guys!!!

I've always wanted to go out and train there but NoVA is so expensive to stay at :icon_sad:

Ryan and Seph used to have a fighter's apartment/house for 5050. I'm not sure if they still have it at this new location. Everyone at 5050 is super nice. If you call I bet they can help you find a cheap place to crash.

Yeah, I e-mailed about that! They don't have it any more and didn't mention a new one.

I'll try and confirm some dates that can work and give them a shout!!

Thanks for the response and great podcasts!

I'm sure if the demand is there 5050 will do what they can to get a house going. I think it's pretty amazing that Seph and Ryan have built an academy with over 300 students. I think it speaks to the quality of their academy.

Awesome podcast. I'm a big fan of the show, as well as Ryan Hall and Seph, so this interview was extra awesome!

I'd really love to get out to 50/50 sometime, I've literally only heard amazing reviews about it.

Back