Separated shoulder

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by November, Jan 22, 2015.

1. November

November Yellow Belt

I separated my AC joint 1/10 in a wrestling match, about a week and a half ago. The doctor said it is a grade 3 based on the x rays (my left shoulder was considerably lower than my right when I did an x ray while holding weights in my hands) and the bump I have on my shoulder. However, as of today 1/22, there is no pain when doing all my normal daily stuff and have most of my ROM back. He said this will take 3 months to heal and that my wrestling season is done (1 month left). My arm honestly doesn't feel that bad to sit out the rest of the season. It doesn't feel like a grade 3 at all (isn't this shit supposed to hurt?) even though he said it was. Hell, I can pick up a 20kg kettlebell just fine with no pain (can't press or swing it yet). Keep in mind that this injury did hurt when I sustained it, but I don't think a grade 3 shoulder separation is painless 1 1/2 weeks into recovery, I honestly don't feel like it is that bad. What do you guys think? Should I listen to the doctor and sit out the rest of the season or go back to wrestling? Also, when I say that I don't have any pain, I'm referring to when I am doing my daily things, not weightlifting or grappling.

2. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Ac joint separations tend to go like that in my experience. If you rest, the pain goes away real fast. It lulls me back into training before the doc says it's ok. Like clockwork every single time, my separated shoulder starts hurting again after 2-3 months of jiu jitsu (even when it suffered no direct trauma.

I would rest it and make sure you get back to 100%. make sure it doesn't become a lingering injury. Or give it a shot but be ready to stop if you feel any pain at all. Also, one hard slam and you may need surgery.

3. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

is this your last season ever? grade 3 should hurt like a bitch and have a noticeable lump. it shouldn't NOT hurt either, so that's not good.

i've separated both of mine, and after trying to rush the first one i rested the second one and had much better results. if you're ranked and you can't afford to end your season you might as well stick with it, but if you're just okay and you can rehab and come back stronger, the smart thing is to rest and repair.

4. phipps66

phipps66 Brown Belt

I separated mine last year skiing. It "felt better" a few weeks after, and I began to use it like normal. Throwing dodgeball at 100% and volleyball at 100%. Now almost a year later I don't have the same range of motion as my good shoulder. Even though I didn't have pain I wished I rested it a lot more. I actually wish I did a couple visits of physical therapy to be honest. Take care of your joints, you'll need them when you're old!

5. November

November Yellow Belt

Yes, this is my last season. The injury did hurt like a bitch when I first got it and a few days after, but it doesn't hurt anymore when I do my normal everyday shit. It only hurts if I'm moving heavy weights like a kettlebell or something. It definitely feels separated, it doesn't feel the same as my other shoulder, but it doesn't hurt. It's hard to explain. I also do have the noticeable lump. Everything (x-rays, the lump, etc.) point to this being a grade 3, but it just doesn't feel like it. From the stories I've read online, it seems like most people had trouble doing even small things like lifting a gallon of milk, which isn't my situation at all (except for the first few days after te injury)

6. afulldeck

afulldeck White Belt

Its very possible that you don't feel any pain after an (AC) acromioclavicular and/or (CC)coracoclavicular ligament injury. The deal is that it needs to be a 'complete' tear of the ligament, but no injury to the other structures (bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments) supporting the shoulder. A complete tear will allow the ends of ligaments to heal faster since there is no continuous irritation. Partial tears (1 or 2) will be more painful since shoulder movement results in constant irritation and micro re injuries. Rest is the only way to improve with partial tears.

The good news is that you have a new bump for life :) and you will never injure that ligament or ligaments again. The other news is that you can start re-training fairly fast if there is no injuries to other structures. That does not mean going back to exactly what you have been doing, rather you need to work on the shoulder support structure to give it more strength. With complete tears of the AC & CC you will find that your strength to do push ups, bench press, over head press, chin ups, and dips have drop. You need to rebuild that strength and get use to the feeling of the AC joint moving while exercising. This adapting to your new reality takes time and that time is different for everyone. Also if you tear only the AC but not the CC joint you may find that you have a little more strength in the above exercises. Your shoulder, though, will feel loose (try swimming for a good indication of that feeling). I would suggest that you get yourself to the gym and a PT and rebuild that shoulder.

7. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

how long did it take to get 100%

I'm coming on 4 months from my separated shoulder and now I can drill 100% and lift weights heavy but my ROM has reduced significantly in the right shoulder

8. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

I was out 8 weeks and the shoulder bothers me to this day. Lots of gym lifts are either greatly reduced in weight or reps. I can't sleep on it to this day, and I have a visible lump.