Seoi Nage

All I have to say is, ARGH. It's a great throw but sometimes the guy just stiff arms you and hunches over so you can't get in. Real defensive like. I can normally nail it if someone doesn't play real defensively. I was looking at how Koga breaks his Ippon-Seoi Nage down and it seems to alleviate someone who likes to fight really defensively. Here's a video of Koga showing how he does it.

YouTube - KOGA

Anyone have any recommendations on how I can finish this throw? What sort of techniques do you use to set it up, when do you strike? I mostly do a left side ippon seoi nage, I don't drop. Any tips would be helpful.

If he is defensive and you still intend seoi to work then you gotta go eri-seoinage. So much easier and works with a simple lapel grip. Mostly like Koga does it. You are doing that right?

Use a kouchi to set it up. And it really doesnt have to be a kouchi. Just kick his inner leg out hard and as he lifts to reset his feet you should be halfway in.

Should be doing a couple hundred seoinage uchikomi/day. Tie the tire tube to the tlephone post.:D

Does anyone here intentionally throw themselves over with seoi? I know it kinda takes the curly Q lift off the end of the throw if you keep going forward, but it just feels right to keep the force circular sometimes and go over. I haven't done it with a live uke, but I've been practicing going over with other throws and was wondering if anyone has tried it with a loaded seoi. -ken

Does anyone here intentionally throw themselves over with seoi? I know it kinda takes the curly Q lift off the end of the throw if you keep going forward, but it just feels right to keep the force circular sometimes and go over. I haven't done it with a live uke, but I've been practicing going over with other throws and was wondering if anyone has tried it with a loaded seoi. -ken

Often as to not intentionally land on the fella. Is that what you mean?

Often as to not intentionally land on the fella. Is that what you mean?

Yeah.

My question is how high is the weight when you do it? I'm worried that if I do the roll that I might not have my weight properly displaced and end up focusing too much, say in my shoulder, and crack uke's rib instead of landing him safely. I want to be able to put more into my seoi, but not at the risk of hurting uke. -ken

if you have uki loaded properly and enough speed you won't crack his ribs, I know I am 300 pounds and have a 320 sparring partner

for a grappling competition, any tips on preventing your opponent from taking your back when you enter for seoinage

is it a matter of proper kuzushi, or could the technique be off

PS my question mark key is broken

So if you're trying to do seoi-nage to the left you take a left kumi-kata with your left arm going over the uke's right arm.

I set my seoi up the same way only I put quite a bit of downward pressure on their arm so they break the grip and try to re grip. This is the oportunity to turn in. I also snatch my lapel back, and force them to re grip. Many times uke will come over the top to re grip and that is when I throw them. I also tend to fight with one hand if uke is straight arming me too much.

Second, you have to get uke moving. Push, pull, change levels and fake footsweeps. You'll find a lot of openings for the throw when you're both moving. Keep the uke's left hand off of you with your right and when s/he comes in forward trying to grab you, go for the throw..

This is exactly what I do but I force them to re grip .

Good advice

for a grappling competition, any tips on preventing your opponent from taking your back when you enter for seoinage

is it a matter of proper kuzushi, or could the technique be off

PS my question mark key is broken

the arm you re ipponing sholdnt be over youre shoulder mroe to the side in the elbow and bicep

thanks for the advice yeahbee, I've practiced that abit on my own and I really like it... randori is a different story however 8)

Back