1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Self Made Cage Ingredients

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Jok3r, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Jok3r

Jok3r White Belt

My house mates and I are looking to build a cage, so I'm sure many of you can point me in the right direction. Just have a few quick questions (cage will be the size of your average small cage you find in MMA gyms/camps)

What specific king of fencing do I need (can the fence be found at a hardware store)?
    Also, any specific type of mats?

If I'm missing anything, please let me know.

2. esum80

esum80 แทงเข่าขวา

where are you going to put the cage?

3. nykayfabe

nykayfabe Green Belt

Ingredients? That doesn't sound right to me, but w/e. You'd want vinyl-coated fencing. Unless you're very, very handy, I think this might be a bigger project than you're anticipating.

4. Jok3r

Jok3r White Belt

Putting it in the Garage (done the measurements and it can fit, we have a huge house)

I have between 15-30 people to help w/ this project (It's like a fraternity project)

And where can I find that type of fence?

Thanks

5. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

That's a huge garage. Pics when you're done.

6. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

Make a diagram (including dimensions) of what you are building, then take it to a chain link supplier. From there they will break down how much of each component you will need.

I think some sort of welded base would be best, secured at certain points with bolts. this would allow the cage to be broken down and moved (or stored). So be prepared to put out some cash for iron angle/channel/tubing. Over the base you would probably want some plywood, before laying mats/canvas/ etc.

On second thought this really isn't that easy (or cheap) a project...

7. fullpoint

fullpoint White Belt

Try contacting wholesale fence contractors to buy rolls. You'll will also need some 'come alongs' top tension to fencing at each post or it will sage and become slack. You will probably need 3 or 4 way couplers at each joint for ridgity. I don't know what type of design you are thinking but I've built a lot of fence and similar things.

8. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

why not just mat a big area,hang bangs ( :wink: ),some weights as opposed to putting money into a cage?

10. bulletprooftigr

bulletprooftigr White Belt

Are you and your frat brothers going to be puttin on fights? What is your use for the cage? Do you guys train together? If not, then building a cage in your frat house is not the first step.

11. madizm2

madizm2 Brown Belt

Give Swain or Zebra an email or call them to see if they cut mats to fit your floor plan.

12. datsik16

datsik16 White Belt

if your not 100% sure, or perhaps you dont have a big enough budget..maybe you should consider building a half cage, similar to the ones you can come across in smaller MMA gyms. Using a wall as a side, the building the cage coming out from it?

13. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

Quite possibly if you're going to just be holding random fights I think you should get some mats and then hammer four posts into the ground and throw three bits of rope around them reminiscent of a ring. If you want the cage feel then some plastic fencing would probably work as well.

14. Your best bet, if you're dead set on a cage, is to do one that's level with the floor.

It will be much harder and more espensive to do one that's raises (supports need to be cut, fabbed, and welded from stock steel)

flush with the ground is the way to go. have a local fence company come in and give you a quote for the supplies needed, then you can use a layer of puzzle matts on the floor and have a vinyl cover made.

15. EdmondDantes

EdmondDantes Orange Belt

silly idea.. even when training we hardly use the cage.

Unlessyou've got more money then sense go for it.

I think it would be better to contact MMA gyms and ask them if they're thinking of getting rid of the old cage, and would they sell it to you,rather than a DIY job.

Then you can tell your frat idiots that you train hard, for years and years, and you've ripped them fuck out of it from sparring so much.

16. EdmondDantes

EdmondDantes Orange Belt

[​IMG]

This would be better and cheaper for your frat friends

17. laohu69

laohu69 Blue Belt

I've made some cage panels in the past (I'm a welder among other things) & they aren't that hard.
    For starters you do NOT want PVC coated chain link fence (which is what most places will try to sell you) because it still has sharp areas that will cut you up.
    You want fused bonded PVC chain link (2" squares). 8 guage is what is used in the pro cages. I actually prefer the 6 guage.
    The perimeter of the panels is 1 1/2" pipe. I don't recall the guage used on the pro cages but I use a much heavier schedule 40 pipe (that I can scrounge for free off of some of my job sites).
    Corner poles are 3 x 3 square tubing (I use 1/4" wall thickness) with a 12 x 12 x 1/4" base plate. they also have a bracing rod attached about 2 1/2 to 3 feet up that goes out about 18" (an inverted "Y shape).
    You can get closed cell padding for the round pipe perimeter frame from any plumbing supply house (pipe insullation) & it comes in varying thicknesses. You can find a local seamstress to sew some vinyl covering for it fairly economically. You can make the round insullation work on the square tube corner poles or you can buy sheets of closed cell insulation & make your own to fit.
    Cage panels that I typically make are 10' in length (which also works out nicely with material since most pipe comes in 20' lengths & the chain link comes in 100' rolls). If you're making an octogon these panels will make a 24' cage (actually a little more once you take into account the space of the corner poles).
    Since someone said something about a frat house I assume that y'all are smart enough to do the math & figure out that each corner will be 45* but will have 2 attachment points (22.5* each) & will have to be attached to adjacent sides of the corner tube which has sides 90* apart (either you can put one attachment square & make the other to work the 45* or you can do both attachments to -*).
    I just paint corner poles & the pipe holding the chain link since it is covered by padding.
    Cost is relative. The chain link runs me about $600 for a 100' roll, however I can get 10 panels out of it. I can scrounge most of the steel I need so cost is minimal. Sometimes I can scrounge the padding, if not it runs about $6 a foot- $194 a panel. You can quickly see why commercial panels will run you about $1,000 each.

In retrospect I take back my opening statement.... I guess building cage panels is kind of hard.

18. BigStaff

BigStaff Purple Belt