Seeing your dad cry: Updated 5/10/21

Cherry Brigand

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm mid-forties and have seen my dad cry exactly three times.

1. I was no more than 9 and he and mom were going through a real rough patch. He held me and cried as the police made sure they had an amicable separation. Not knowing what was next, he didn't know when he'd see me again (I'm guessing). PS. they worked it out and are about to hit their 50th ;)
2. When his own dad died in 1988
3. On Sunday, three days after his late-stage cancer diagnosis when he was talking about how he's not ready to go and how he's going to miss me and his grandchildren

Sounds gay, tbh.

IAS, sorry to hear about your old man. Even hard men break. The father/son bond gets me glassy eyed too.

Man... Sorry to hear about your dad. My aunt who lives across the street also has late stage cancer and she's got a few months left to live. It really sucks because she had been working feverishly to take care of her son (my cousin) who was terminally ill and bed-ridden these last few years. He finally passed away so we all figured my aunt could finally relax and enjoy the rest of her life a little but now she got hit with the big C... it fuckin' sucks.

I've also seen my father cry exactly three times:

1. When his own father passed away

2. He got into a huge fight with my brother about some non-sense and were physically fighting for a bit and then both started crying. Feelings were hurt. It shocked me a bit because my brother is Army tough like I don't really give a fuck about your feeling type of guy and my father doesn't really give a shit about anyone.

3. When my brother got married. During the tea ceremony he started telling the new couple how happy he was and he BS-ed for a good 5 minutes telling them to be good, make babies, don't go to bed angry, love one another, etc… Tears were freely flowing from both my father and brother while his new wife and my mother were smiling in amusement at these two tough guys crying like little babies. Everyone else were also amused at seeing two grown men crying. I eventually ripped my shirt revealing my cape, turned into Captain Tissue and jumped in to rescue them both. It was a very cute Kodak moment.

I've never seen my dad at all

Wing_Paper_Clip_Box_Cornelia_Moyer.jpg

I've seen my Dad cry one time and it was when he lost his sister. His sister basically raised him as his parents moved to Florida when he graduated college leaving him to fend for himself. It wasn't an open casket and my Dad demanded to see the body for closure. It was me and him and it was an image I will never ever forget. It's been 15 years and I could work up tears if I let myself.

Only cried once in front of my children..

They were tears of joy.

4 times.
- when he told me he had no money in 2009 (due to 2008 crisis), I was almost 13
- when I got my first panic attack, I was 18 I think? Something like that. He starte crying and yelling "WHAT HAVE I DONE TO YOU?". Tip, if your kid turns up cray cray don't pull that shit, you want to stay calm, tell them to focus on the rhythm of breaths, not fight the fear but let it flow and make a joke if you manage to find a good one.
- when my uncle was found guilty of buying and storing cheese pizza on his PC, about 3 years ago.
- when he almost died and we called his "secret" lover to convince him to go to the hospital about 2 years ago, I cried too in the moment but can't deny it was hilarious.

Great opportunity to blindside him with a vicious right hook (or left, if you're one of those freaks).

Saw my father cry once,
when my sister died.

Never want to see that again.
If I had to guess,
that was probably the first he cried since he was like 9.

That shit changed him 4ever.

Not been in touch apart from the odd angry email in 20+ years. He cried when I had the most horrific whooping cough for months, and when he found out his dad had terminal lung cancer. That's all I've seen.

The only time I can remember seeing my dad sobbing (not just misty eyed) was at my grandmother’s funeral.

Never seen my Dad cry. He was in prison my whole life then got out and got shot and died.
<mma1>

That said, my daughter is 12 and never seen me cry. I cried when my Mom died but my daughter wasn't there. I cried when my Dad died but that was six years before she was born.

I've seen my Dad cry one time and it was when he lost his sister. His sister basically raised him as his parents moved to Florida when he graduated college leaving him to fend for himself. It wasn't an open casket and my Dad demanded to see the body for closure. It was me and him and it was an image I will never ever forget. It's been 15 years and I could work up tears if I let myself.
Did it help at all seeing her after she passed away? My mum made it very clear that she didn't want anyone seeing her after she went but my step-dad went in to see her, and I completely understand so I wasn't upset with him. It'll be a year on Friday and he's still completely heartbroken by it, if it gave him a bit of comfort then it's a good thing. And I'm sure she wouldn't have been mad about it.

- when he almost died and we called his "secret" lover to convince him to go to the hospital about 2 years ago, I cried too in the moment but can't deny it was hilarious.
Some details would be appreciated.

My dad started crying during Taps/21 gun salute for my grandfather. It is the only time I ever remember that bastard crying.

Once when I was a teen, we watched a documentary about the Vietnam war.

i've seen my dad get close a few times, but never has. i honestly wish he would. bottling up all the stuff he has inside is not good for anyone. i'd actually think more of him if he would. i don't think men should be loose faucets at all times, but it's best to show your children that holding things inside isn't always good for your kids. you should be open with your family. they'll appreciate it, and you'll become closer as a family.

Some details would be appreciated.

My dad started crying during Taps/21 gun salute for my grandfather. It is the only time I ever remember that bastard crying.

It was kind of wild.
He collapsed and hit his head for an heart attack (caused by liver problems he has had for some years), but he wouldn't go to hospital.
So we stole the number of his lover from his phone (we all in the family had known this for years) because she is a doctor and could convince him with a diangnosis, since he's a doctor too and gets stubborn and won't listen.

He survived the whole shit but he doesn't have much to live.

The hilarious part was the faces of everyone when the lover got in, it was awkward as shit.
At the end she even said "aww I'm sad we had to meet in such circumstances".
Thinking about it it's probably the best possible situation.

Back