Second Kickboxing fight

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Hello my F11 homies. Well heres my 2nd kickboxing fight. Any critique or pointers will be greatly appreciated and highly welcome. I ended up losing this fight, but I think I learned alot. Hope you guys enjoy!

Rules:
-135 lbs
-No clinch, pretty much Glory rules
-No catching kicks either
-Three 1:30 minute rounds

Im in the red gloves

Link to my first fight is here in this link:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/first-fight-video.3065111/

You had another fight already? Awesome man! Keep it up!

I am not an authority, but if you want my 2 cents:

Range is an issue. You were too far away to reach him with your punches(he could barely reach you as well though), but not far enough not to get kicked. You stayed about at the end of his leg kicks and couldn't get anything off from that range. You are an explosive guy and are probably used to jumping in. Problem is that you are going to meet a lot of guys that have height and reach on you, and jumping in and out will tire you needlessly. Another thing is that when you jump in, you sometimes get too close and smother your punches. Again I'd say finding the right range is the hardest part.

In round three you started to get the right idea! From 3:40 to 4:22 you stuck to him pretty well and didn't smother your punches. At the same time you had a lot of success. Btw nice bodykick! Try walking him down and cutting the ring off, instead of staying on the outside and leaping. Work staying in mid range a little more and work on the angles, it'll also be easier to use your quick feet and nice body kicks if you have more gas in the tank and are a bit more measured. IF you have a hard time reaching him or getting past his jab, don't be afraid to use your own leg kicks when he moves away.

That's all I got, hope that's alright. Hopefully someone more knowledgable chimes in. What did you coach say btw?

Great fight my man, looked even better than the last time! Looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:
Ya it's actually been about 5 months since my last one. Time flies huh. I'd say range and having the cardio to pressure was probably the biggest takeaways from this fight. I'm swinging so hard to close the distance that I'm running into him and smothering myself. Gotta learn to use more jabs and straights to keep my perfect distance.

Also, looking back, I have no idea why I'm just standing around in his perfect kicking distance looking to counter. Just a plain bad move on my part. I think I was just scared and overly cautious.

And I think you're right on me just exploding in. I never really noticed it until now, but I could definitely use some jabs or feint my way in to close the distance better.

Thanks once again Sano. My coach didn't really say anything, just basically commented on the scoring system and how it's only three 1:30 minute rounds so I should definitely start faster and not use that first round as a feel out process. Gotta win that first round, otherwise you are playing catch up the entire fight. It also sets the tone of the fight

Last edited:
@biscuitsbrah

No problem my friend :)

It's already been 5 months? Damn, time flies indeed.

Well everything is easier in hindsight, but the good thing is you can grow from your losses. That's why I think it's important to get feedback and watch yourself. Just keep practicing, I'll try doing the same haha.

Yeah 1:30 rounds must be hard. I think that would be a challenge for me, as I like to feel other guy out. Definitely need to be active! Striking a balance between aggression and awareness is not easy, but it's possible.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Good job getting in there man.

A few things I noticed;

When you started using your kicks in the third it neutralised your opponent coming forward as much, I would have used that a load more, especially the inside low kick.

One thing I did see a lot (I suppose its easy from behind a camera) was that your opponent was swinging his right low kick and you were stepping out of range with it so he missed, however you were trying to close that distance with punches instead of firing your own kicks off which would have scored in my opinion.

Your hands are accurate and fast, however I would have thrown kicks after combos.

All in all close bout, keep up the good work.

Nice takedown @ 00:53-00:56

Beware of dropping your hand to catch his low kick. You couldnget KO'd if he decides to feint a high kick with a low kick

Beware of dropping your hand to catch his low kick. You couldnget KO'd if he decides to feint a high kick with a low kick
Yea, it's a bad habit. I'm gonna learn how to check or avoid kicks better

Good job getting in there man.

A few things I noticed;

When you started using your kicks in the third it neutralised your opponent coming forward as much, I would have used that a load more, especially the inside low kick.

One thing I did see a lot (I suppose its easy from behind a camera) was that your opponent was swinging his right low kick and you were stepping out of range with it so he missed, however you were trying to close that distance with punches instead of firing your own kicks off which would have scored in my opinion.

Your hands are accurate and fast, however I would have thrown kicks after combos.

All in all close bout, keep up the good work.
Sorry for the late reply, but whats a good counter kick to a missing right low kick? Perhaps a right kick of my own to the body/leg?

I re-read this thread and realized you were exactly right about kicking techniques. Im too one dimensional right now and im trying to work hard on being comfortable kicking in a fight. Too much head-hunting with punches chasing a KO.

Sorry for the late reply, but whats a good counter kick to a missing right low kick? Perhaps a right kick of my own to the body/leg?

I re-read this thread and realized you were exactly right about kicking techniques. Im too one dimensional right now and im trying to work hard on being comfortable kicking in a fight. Too much head-hunting with punches chasing a KO.
I like to step in with a combination. eg. 1,2,3,kick

Normally I like throwing combinations, for counting I lead the combination depending on the attack
so:
-they come in with hands, I start it off with a solid leg kick, then with hands (low kick, 2,3, kick)
-they come in with kick (esp. low), I start with hands, like the one I mentioned above (1,2,3, kick)

Thanks. Going to start mentally drilling that into sparring

Good tough fight- you both brought it! Tough matchup.

My 2c- Being a shorter stocky fella I would suggest squaring up your stance (your wide stance resulted in lots of heavy leg kicks) and stop jumping in and out. Just walk your opponent down and learn to defend kicks and punches while you keep coming forward slowly. Once your in range hurt them- push them back and keep coming forward slowly. Try not to jump back if you can, just wear it or defend it and counter instead of jumping back. Have a look at kickboxers like mike zambidis and robin van roosmalen.

^^ Either that or just keep doing what your doing and get better at it =) But at least try what I suggested during sparring.

Cheers

Good tough fight- you both brought it! Tough matchup.

My 2c- Being a shorter stocky fella I would suggest squaring up your stance (your wide stance resulted in lots of heavy leg kicks) and stop jumping in and out. Just walk your opponent down and learn to defend kicks and punches while you keep coming forward slowly. Once your in range hurt them- push them back and keep coming forward slowly. Try not to jump back if you can, just wear it or defend it and counter instead of jumping back. Have a look at kickboxers like mike zambidis and robin van roosmalen.

^^ Either that or just keep doing what your doing and get better at it =) But at least try what I suggested during sparring.

Cheers
Thanks dude. I have been working on being more fundamentally sound with my defense in striking range instead of constantly trying to use footwork to escape strikes coming at me. It's so much easier to be aggressive and just keep a high guard than darting in and out on every single exchange.

It actually makes me very happy I see eye-to-eye with most of these critiques. Makes a very clear and set path on things that need immediate improvement based on the holes I'm displaying in a fight.

I honestly don't see them myself until people like you, Sano, and j123 point them out. It must be so obvious to the regularly trained individual but something about watching myself skews my ability to objectively pick out obvious holes and flaws.
Maybe you guys are just really good analysts

Last edited:
Hey don't be hard on yourself- that was a hard match-up, you both got unlucky in that you were both good haha. Was a tough fight. Move on to the next one and be proud that you brought it the whole time.

Thanks dude. It's so much easier to be aggressive and just keep a high guard than darting in and out on every single exchange.

Years ago I used to use a lot of what people call 'footwork' but to me now I was just jumping around because I didnt really understand the fundamentals of it. I used to jump into a lot of straight rights as I'm a southpaw. Now I pretty much just move much more slowly and subtly and although it looks like there is no 'footwork' its actually just harder to pick up on unless you are sparring / fighting me. So if you look at fighters like the above I mentioned and also have a look at Yodsanklai and JWP too you see there movements are very subtle but they nearly always are in a good position to counter and defend. Its not easy to do this effectively and its not always 100% effective- as nothing is in fighting =) except for Ko's...

Anyway, good shit man.

Hey don't be hard on yourself- that was a hard match-up, you both got unlucky in that you were both good haha. Was a tough fight. Move on to the next one and be proud that you brought it the whole time.

Years ago I used to use a lot of what people call 'footwork' but to me now I was just jumping around because I didnt really understand the fundamentals of it. I used to jump into a lot of straight rights as I'm a southpaw. Now I pretty much just move much more slowly and subtly and although it looks like there is no 'footwork' its actually just harder to pick up on unless you are sparring / fighting me. So if you look at fighters like the above I mentioned and also have a look at Yodsanklai and JWP too you see there movements are very subtle but they nearly always are in a good position to counter and defend. Its not easy to do this effectively and its not always 100% effective- as nothing is in fighting =) except for Ko's...

Anyway, good shit man.
I have watched zambidis and van roosemalen a lot but haven't ever seen a jwp or yod fight. I'll get right on it and watch their subtle footwork.

And I really agree with what you said about people saying 'footwork' when really it's just aimless moving around

Hey Dude, yeah so basically when your opponent has over extended on the right low kick and you have stepped out of distance you could fire your own low kicks to the hamstring, back (high score) or across the body, whatever you see in the exchange.

With the kicks at the end of punches, I would get onto YouTube and watch as much Ernesto Hoost as possible, although this sounds stupid, his technique of bringing kicks behind his punches is very technically sound and will give you a lot of options.

The basic to work on in sparring, in my opinion would include jab, cross, hook, right low kick, its a staple because your hook should push your opponent to load their lead leg (given they are orthodox) which would set up the low kick nicely.

Also something I enjoy playing with is firing a kick off the same side as my hands (TJ Dillashaw has done this well) A combo I think works well on this is jab, overhand right, re set, go again jab, overhand right, pull that short and hit a right body kick - if you have sold it well enough the body should be exposed to allow you kick to land flush.

Hope this helps.

Awesome fight bro!

I didn't see much kick checking. Was that not allowed?

Also I saw you going down to grab his leg every chance you got and that seems to be against the rules? Anyway, I've also found that to be rather risky and to only attempt it if the opponent is telegraphing his kicks and is being predictable with his combinations.

Personally I like to get out of the way of kicks or just check them.

You also had a few moments where you were doing a phenomenal job fighting in the pockets.

He had a range advantage on you so all he did was keep you away with his jabs and then hammer you with his leg kicks. There are 2 ways to counter this. You slip his jab and move into his pocket, fire a few shots and quickly move out (whenever you started 'headhunting' he started to turtle, and this was a perfect opportunity to go for his kidneys). The other thing you can do is counter his kicks. For roundhouse kicks you can either step back to dodge and then follow up with an attack of your own (which you were doing), check the kicks and then immediately fire back your own kick, step into the pocket and absorb the kick and counter with a right straight (Zambidis would do this).

Lastly I noticed that you moved in mostly in straight lines. To defend you would move straight back and to attack you moved straight in. Try using angles to give yourself an advantange. Lastly, as others have mentioned you need to work on your footwork to maintain range. With a taller fighter, you want to be either out of his striking range completely or in the pocket, but never to linger in between.

Hello !

Where was this fight ? ( i hear a part of the public shouting in french )

You don't seem to have a very good awareness of where you are in the ring. At 0:35, for example, your opponent walks into the corner and what you do is move to your left, giving him the opportunity to move into open space. Movement like that and moving in straight lines makes that you spend way too much energy and end up in situations you could've avoided.

Last edited:
Hello !

Where was this fight ? ( i hear a part of the public shouting in french )
This was in Hawaii but some French guys from a reality TV show we're fighting on the same card as me. They said the show was like a French version of 'The Real World'

They wanted their first fight or something and there was a camera crew and everything. Kinda cool.

They were exhibition matches in which they weren't judged, but if I recall correctly both French guys did really good, despite only training 2-3x a week for a month

Last edited:
Back