Seattle passes minimum wage of $15.

crooked

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this? Kinda iffy, I work for my moms bakery so I will wonder what the future will hold for us. (get laid off from my mom :icon_conf)

Small businesses will feel the pain first either cutting hours/benefits or moving to a different town.

But on the flip side they are saying it will give more money to spend on the economy.
I'm all for higher wages, we will see in the years to come.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/02/news/economy/seattle-minimum-wage/index.html

Last edited:
Expect layoff for some places that can't adhere to that, that's what I think anyways

Prices will go up and soon $15 an hour won't be a livable wage, and we'll be right back where we were.

Whats a normal wage for a shitty job for you guys? I dont really have a grasp on how much $15 is in the US

Whats a normal wage for a shitty job for you guys? I dont really have a grasp on how much $15 is in the US

Minimum wage is about 9 right now I believe in Seattle but federally in the US is like 7.25.
A gallon of gas here is 4.10 and rent for a single bedroom apt is about 1100+ away from the city

Everybody schedule a move to Seattle. :icon_lol: They say if they raise the prices businesses would have to release people or lessen hours. That is a lie they would make less BUT there dream of expanding at a record pace would lessen. The choice is keep everybody happy or keep the owners happy. Tough choice..............NOT.

I know too little of the US to know if the TS expects me to think that's high or low.

I don't think its possible to get paid less than 20$ around here.

I don't understand it. People that were making $17 an hour before this don't get a raise and they are going to get hosed.

If anything, they should lower minimum wage everywhere. Put it at like $3 an hour or something. It's not going to create a slew of sweatshops that treat their workers like crap or anything. Businesses would still have to be competitive with their wages to keep workers. If McDonald's or Walmart is paying $6.50 an hour, you probably aren't going to find many people that are going to work for $3 an hour anywhere, so you can allow the market to set it's own wages. However, when you force a high wage like this, it really screws up a lot of things and now everything is going to jump up in price.

Minimum wage is about 9 right now I believe in Seattle but federally in the US is like 7.25.
A gallon of gas here is 4.10 and rent for a single bedroom apt is about 1100+ away from the city

Right, it sounds like you guys need more money then. Where I am the lowest wage youll ever see is 18, but no one really works for less than 20 (I get just under 30 for basic labouring) petrols about $1.40 a litre (your gallons are different to ours) and I rented a 3 bedroom apparment in the city for about $1000 a week.
Sounds like you guys are getting majorly ripped off, thats pretty much England bad

I honestly don't think most minimum wage jobs require the training, skillset, and labor to be be worth that much.

I don't understand it. People that were making $17 an hour before this don't get a raise and they are going to get hosed.

If anything, they should lower minimum wage everywhere. Put it at like $3 an hour or something. It's not going to create a slew of sweatshops that treat their workers like crap or anything. Businesses would still have to be competitive with their wages to keep workers. If McDonald's or Walmart is paying $6.50 an hour, you probably aren't going to find many people that are going to work for $3 an hour anywhere, so you can allow the market to set it's own wages. However, when you force a high wage like this, it really screws up a lot of things and now everything is going to jump up in price.

There are three types of people that want minimum wage increases:

1. Those making minimum wage

2. Politicians looking to please or gain followers

3. People that don't understand economics and have their head in the clouds about saving the world

What's the cost of living in Seattle?

I really hope the bay area is next to go this route. I'm making $15 now with two roommates and I'm working 60 hours a week. If it wasn't for the overtime I'd barely be scraping enough together for food, rent and gas.

There are three types of people that won't minimum wage increases:

3. People that don't understand economics and have their head in the clouds about saving the world

1bim.jpg

Ill be curious to see how long they take to fully get to 15 dollars. It is typically done in 3 stages over the course of a couple years. If the lawmakers in Seattle were smart they would've included tax breaks over the next few years for small businesses. This way the jump in wages won't hurt them as much.

I personally am i fan of the minimum wage going up and i hope this works great so other states adopt similar laws. I just also think that it should done carefully with the best interest of workers and small businesses in mind. Since both represent the middle class which is the life blood of any economy.

There are three types of people that want minimum wage increases:

4. Labor unions whos wage is tied to the minimum wage.

Back