Seattle man starts using female bathroom says "the law has changed and I have a right to be here

No offense but this is pure ignorance. People seem to have this idea that transgenders were simply fabricated by the modern liberal media.

If you look into it, research has been done in it for decades, and people have identified as trans since long before there was a label or popular support for it.

They were simple hazed literally to death the way gays used to be. People have this idea that anything and everything that makes them uncomfortable is some new creation of the media.

Post mortem research has shown transgenders do have the brain chemistry and physiology of the gender they identify as.

Nature isn't as fixed and neat as people would like. If it was hermaphrodites, gays, and transgenders wouldn't exist.
I'm not saying that they are created by the media. I was referring to them being physically created by doctors. Because without the surgery they wouldn't be transgender, they'd just be cross dressers.
And I don't doubt it's been around for a long time, all sorts of mental health issues have been.

I don't hate them, but there needs to be a dose of reality every now and then. Teenage girls shouldn't be forced to share a bathroom or locker room with a boy who identifies as as female. There has to be a middle ground.

I'm not saying that they are created by the media. I was referring to them being physically created by doctors. Because without the surgery they wouldn't be transgender, they'd just be cross dressers.
And I don't doubt it's been around for a long time, all sorts of mental health issues have been.

I don't hate them, but there needs to be a dose of reality every now and then. Teenage girls shouldn't be forced to share a bathroom or locker room with a boy who identifies as as female. There has to be a middle ground.

Transgenders =/= gender reassignment surgery. Being trans is a result of literally being born with the wrong brain for your body.

It's highly debatable if surgery is even beneficial, or if there's anything at all that our current level of medical science can do about it.

I don't like the mental illness tag for it, because that isn't really what's going on with transgenders.

If you think you're a potato or aliens are following you everywhere, or your batman, that's mental illness.

If you identify more as a man or a woman because you literally have the brain physiology of that gender, that's a little different. It's a complex issue with no easy answers.

Transgenders =/= gender reassignment surgery. Being trans is a result of literally being born with the wrong brain for your body.

It's highly debatable if surgery is even beneficial, or if there's anything at all that our current level of medical science can do about it.

I don't like the mental illness tag for it, because that isn't really what's going on with transgenders.

If you think you're a potato or aliens are following you everywhere, or your batman, that's mental illness.

If you identify more as a man or a woman because you literally have the brain physiology of that gender, that's a little different. It's a complex issue with no easy answers.

I agree with your last statement, it is a complex issue, and would agree on your third comment if it weren't for the amount of trans suicides.

I agree with your last statement, it is a complex issue, and would agree on your third comment if it weren't for the amount of trans suicides.

Why does everyone just arbitrarily link correlation with causation. Rip is always doing this same thing. Yes it's possible the high rate of depression, suicide, and drug abuse is related to being trans or gay. However you can't just make that connection without evidence.

Positive self esteem and self image are cornerstones of good mental health. Now imagine your misunderstood, shunned socially by the public in addition to your friends and family. And on top of that you're literally uncomfortable in your own skin, because your brain is constantly telling you that you're in the wrong body. It's impossible to fix, because you literally have the brain patterns of the opposite gender.

There is quite a lot there that would cause depression, anxiety, etc.

And on top of that you're literally uncomfortable in your own skin, because your brain is constantly telling you that you're in the wrong body. It's impossible to fix, because you literally have the brain patterns of the opposite gender.

Sounds like mental illness to me.

Sounds like mental illness to me.
Cool do some research then. It's been definitively proven that it is not. Everyone on here always feels there opinion trumps decades of scientific research.

Have whatever opinion you want, you are wrong though, and your viewpoint was proven wrong a long time ago. What can you do, people have no interest in understanding anything outside the status quo or there comfort zone.

No his gay brother just identifies as two separate transsexuals. He needs three separate bathroom's at his place of employment to ensure he can identify with all three of his split personalities.
Not cool man. While I don't agree with everything Buk says or agree with all of his stances it's in poor taste to get personal and bash his family members.

Why does everyone just arbitrarily link correlation with causation. Rip is always doing this same thing. Yes it's possible the high rate of depression, suicide, and drug abuse is related to being trans or gay. However you can't just make that connection without evidence.

Positive self esteem and self image are cornerstones of good mental health. Now imagine your misunderstood, shunned socially by the public in addition to your friends and family. And on top of that you're literally uncomfortable in your own skin, because your brain is constantly telling you that you're in the wrong body. It's impossible to fix, because you literally have the brain patterns of the opposite gender.

There is quite a lot there that would cause depression, anxiety, etc.

Has anyone compared suicide rates with pre and post op trans? I think that would provide insight into the mental health aspect of this.

Has anyone compared suicide rates with pre and post op trans? I think that would provide insight into the mental health aspect of this.
There are mixed results, but there ARE studies out there that show getting the surgery can actually lead to higher rates of depression and suicide. Research in this area is still rather new, since the procedures are still relatively new and it's a small sample size to pull from.

that's why I always mention in these conversations that the surgery isn't necessarily a solution, I don't think we really have the capability at this point. My theory is these surgeries can't make you another gender, there is no way to do that with our current level of technology. I think they get a short term spike in happiness, then realize there's no way to really change genders, and the depression comes back even stronger.

The reason the mental illness label is so counterproductive is it implies a dysfunctional brain. What seemms to be going on is a perfectly functioning brain, in the wrong body. People act as if men and women have the same brains. We don't at all though, we've evolved differently for different tasks. Imagine waking up as a chick tommorow and trying to explain to people that something is wrong.

It's tricky because we are still figuring out how the brain works, and this issue is just beyond our understanding. You can't switch them into a different body, surgery won't work, and what are you going to give them a pill for? All the pills and hormone treatments in the world aren't going to fix the problem. It's a tricky issue I feel bad for them.

Here is one study I found. Took place in Sweden from 1973-2003. They found after surgery there was a higher rate of death, of suicide, and for female to male a higher rate of criminal convictions. Just one study and they mention there just isn't much long term data yet, but it doesn't look all that great.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3043071/

Gender dysphoria is the new schizophrenia

It means it can be handled with some medication.
Oh ok. Yeah not really though, there is no medication that can really help at this point. Hopefully we'll get to that point though.

This is actually as pretty huge assumption you are making about their brains.

This is actually as pretty huge assumption you are making about their brains.
Just going off the available data. As you can see from my post about the reassignment surgeries, I just try to examine what evidence is available. You'll note I don't just jump on the pro surgery bandwagon.

Thankfully I haven't heard of anything like that happening around here . . . if my under age daughters had to deal with it I might "feel" like I would need to do something to change how this guy feels.

yea, then they'd call the police and you'd be taken away for a hate crime

law's the law

Back