Search function failed: Need name of mount sweep

Saith

UFC poster boy
Reaction score
During sparring today a blue belt showed me a mount sweep called braebo or braybo or something like that, but when I type those into google it doesn't give me any good results.

Basically it's like an upa where you sweep into your opponent's guard.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

lol, what?

I'm sorry, but I am laughing my ass off trying to figure out what the fuck you were shown. you should really get to a BJJ class.

It sounds like he showed you the most basic mount escape in the book, but the "BRABO" is a highly effective choke that you can hit from all over the place. maybe he did it to you when you used that shitty mount escape.

It might not have been a brabo, but I thought it was a "b" name.

It wasn't shitty it actually worked pretty well which is why I'm trying to figure out what it's called lol

A sweep is a reversal from guard. Otherwise it is an escape.

It wasn't shitty it actually worked pretty well which is why I'm trying to figure out what it's called lol

Brabo is often pronounced braybo, which is why I know that is what he said, but it is not the name for that mount escape.

the technical term for the mount escape you described is, "try-to-grab-an-arm-bridge-and-hope-to-God-the-guy-I'm-fighting-sucks"

here's a video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xynKxDmqAbc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xynKxDmqAbc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hey do you guys know how to beat the mount where they grapevine your legs? It seems most mount escapes rely on having atleast one of your feet on the outside of their legs, but with the grapvine there's nothing I can do.

Hey do you guys know how to beat the mount where they grapevine your legs? It seems most mount escapes rely on having atleast one of your feet on the outside of their legs, but with the grapvine there's nothing I can do.

If this is a serious question, just kick one of your legs free (literally just straighten it) trap the arm on opposite side of the leg you just kicked (the same side your opponent still has grape vined) and upa/bridge to that side.

Anytime your opponent grapevines your legs he is essentially trapping his own legs by trapping yours. If you have both his arm and leg trapped on the same side (just like the standard upa) you should be able to escape.

^^^Get out of the "grapevine" first and then escape.
The half gaurd ecsape is a good way to counter the grapevine.

The "b" is probably for "bridge and roll escape." That would be the video that Mikey Triangles linked.

Why do you guys think that mount escape is shitty though? I think it's very effective. It's one of my best mount escapes.

It definitely does work against skilled opponents.

Shit. Maybe it was an upa. God I suck.:icon_cry2

ive heard tht name before ---banyara---- its a vartion of a mount escape---its in one of my gracie jiu jitsu books

not to be confused with brabo choke

The "b" is probably for "bridge and roll escape." That would be the video that Mikey Triangles linked.

Why do you guys think that mount escape is shitty though? I think it's very effective. It's one of my best mount escapes.

yeah, it definitely does get the job done, but it's a lot riskier than some others IMO. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was useless. It just leaves you open for a plethra of counters if you're not very careful or your timing is off.

yea .. it's not a bad escape. :S not as "sexy" as some of the other ones but still highly effective and most basic escape in jiu jitsu...

yeah, it definitely does get the job done, but it's a lot riskier than some others IMO. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was useless. It just leaves you open for a plethra of counters if you're not very careful or your timing is off.

but that goes for almost all escapes...

If this is a serious question, just kick one of your legs free (literally just straighten it) trap the arm on opposite side of the leg you just kicked (the same side your opponent still has grape vined) and upa/bridge to that side.

Anytime your opponent grapevines your legs he is essentially trapping his own legs by trapping yours. If you have both his arm and leg trapped on the same side (just like the standard upa) you should be able to escape.

I meant if he's straightening your legs out with the grapevine, so everytime you bridge he just straightens your leg out so you don't get any dynamic lift.

^^^^^Yeah dude, just kick one of your legs free and upa to the other side. If for some reason you can't just kick your leg free, kick and then rotate your ankle/shin out and around from his leg, then again, trap the arm and bridge to the side that is still grapevined.

that escape rocks, I use it religiously

Wait! My brain started working and I remembered the escape.

It's like upa, because you trap one arm, but then instead of trapping the foot on the same side, you post YOUR leg on the opposite side of the arm you have trapped. Then you just kick over.

So what's it called?

Wait! My brain started working and I remembered the escape.

It's like upa, because you trap one arm, but then instead of trapping the foot on the same side, you post YOUR leg on the opposite side of the arm you have trapped. Then you just kick over.

So what's it called?

thats the same thing

Back