Sean Walker - The Truth (Motivational Speech)

One of the great things about jiu jitsu is that you get the chance to fail all the time. So many people quit jiu jitsu because they can't handle losing. How far can you make it if you can't handle getting tapped out?

Kids are conditioned to want to win and that's fine. I want to win every competition I enter, but I don't quit if I don't.

I see this all the time as well.

I find that the kids in the lowest sets create this self for-filling prophecy where they don't think they will do well so don't even try. They get their results back where they have inevitably have failed which they see as a reason not to try.

Many of the kids these days, especially from the stratas of society look up to the wrong role models. The girls will look up to sluts who do any and everything to get on tv, have no talent and seem to make money out of selling their stories to newspapers. The boys (especially the ones from single parent homes) look up to people like some rap artists (not knowing the fact that some of them have worked very hard to get where they are) and want to copy their behaviour.

Sorry, this belongs to a teaching forum.

I thought this one was pretty cool

That is awesome, really. Loved that video

And to everyone bashing on the TS video, I don't quite think you understand. Or maybe you just watched it once and tried to dissect it without re thinking and analyzing. When an opportunity arises, and you've got the chance to be/create/do something amazing, you've got to want that as much as breathing. That's plain and simple. If there was NO other way to achieve the goal for some god forbidden reason than to not eat or sleep for a certain period of time, you would have to take those measures to do it. That's how bad you've got to want it. It's principle, not completely literal. At the same time though, completely necessary and completely respectable for anyone who has ever gone through it and succeeded.

That is awesome, really. Loved that video

And to everyone bashing on the TS video, I don't quite think you understand. Or maybe you just watched it once and tried to dissect it without re thinking and analyzing. When an opportunity arises, and you've got the chance to be/create/do something amazing, you've got to want that as much as breathing. That's plain and simple. If there was NO other way to achieve the goal for some god forbidden reason than to not eat or sleep for a certain period of time, you would have to take those measures to do it. That's how bad you've got to want it. It's principle, not completely literal. At the same time though, completely necessary and completely respectable for anyone who has ever gone through it and succeeded.

I am not sure if you think I am bashing, but I wanted to bring up the "wanting" issue.

Have you ever read a really good book? You like it so much you "didn't want" it to end? Sometimes I want to not want.

I did mention that if there were an apocalypse I would do without food and sleep.

If I was 200 lbs overweight and on the verge of having a heart attack, or a drug addict, or whatever addict; I could see "wanting" to change.

I live a modest lifestyle and have limited needs or "wants".

ie...I don't really want to get a black belt... (good name for a thread title)

Last thing...I am all for this guy if he can make any positive change with someone. I am sure he has and I salute him.

I am not sure if you think I am bashing, but I wanted to bring up the "wanting" issue.

Have you ever read a really good book? You like it so much you "didn't want" it to end? Sometimes I want to not want.

I did mention that if there were an apocalypse I would do without food and sleep.

If I was 200 lbs overweight and on the verge of having a heart attack, or a drug addict, or whatever addict; I could see "wanting" to change.

I live a modest lifestyle and have limited needs or "wants".

ie...I don't really want to get a black belt... (good name for a thread title)

Last thing...I am all for this guy if he can make any positive change with someone. I am sure he has and I salute him.

Maybe you are completely content with what you have, and that's great. Some people, though, have dreams and aspirations. ie... to be a world champion, to become a doctor, to change the world, even a minor one... etc. etc. The reality of it is, to become those types of things, sitting on your ass being content isn't going to cut it. That's my two cents.

Maybe you are completely content with what you have, and that's great. Some people, though, have dreams and aspirations. ie... to be a world champion, to become a doctor, to change the world, even a minor one... etc. etc. The reality of it is, to become those types of things, sitting on your ass being content isn't going to cut it. That's my two cents.

lol...I hear you. I had and still have dreams...My latest one is to create a better social condition through jiu jitsu. I wanted to be a professional hockey player as a kid and I made it to semi pro in Germany. I wanted to get a gold medal at the Pan, and I did. I have lots of personal examples of achieving high standards. That's not my point. I am trolling you a little bit, so I apologize. I am just trying to get people to think a little bit.

I know people who work ungodly hours, hardly sleep, barely "breathe" in order to achieve something that, in the end, was not really worth it. Just make sure whatever you "want" is something that is truly valuable. I have friends who are doctors, lawyers, professional athletes; People who have reached a high level in their field. The one thing they have in common is a strong work ethic. They also take the steps necessary to ensure success. It's much more than just wanting something.

About the "I don't want a black belt" comment...I know that's when the journey really begins...If that is the case, What am I doing now???:icon_neut

And you are 100 % correct when you say, "sitting on your ass being content isn't going to cut it"

Thanks man for keeping the discussion going.

Maybe you are too jaded to respond, but honestly, I know where this guy is coming from. I've made enough mistakes in life and right now I've got about one more chance to turn things around. If you've never been there, that's cool. But I don't have a choice, I perform or lose. Given those choices, do I need to hear that it's "do or die" or that "success is a matter of definition, and if we want to get technical and break...".

Perhaps for some people, this is purely a philosophical question, but I'm in the fuckin lab. Tonight, I have a choice, "sleep or succeed". Literally. I'm not going to go into it, but I'm going back to school, I have a wife and family and job, I have limited time, and I either do while other people are sleeping or I just don't do. That may sound easy on paper, and maybe we don't need nice speeches and stuff to get fired up, but it's a little different at 4:00 AM.

And if you must know, I have a kid at my ankles right now, I just got off school and picked them up an hour or so ago. If he would leave me alone to concentrate on calculus I would do that, but this is my break. The only time I'm going to be left alone is tonight after 10:00 pm. In case anybody feels like busting that trip on me.

Sounds like you made a series of poor life decisions that got you in a pinch. Should have prepared better.

There is a new poster on here Zen Mojo. He links to his blog. His short bio...

"have been a martial arts instructor, a bartender, a soldier, a homeless man, a student, a teacher, a techhead, a consultant, a world traveler, and a program manager at one of the largest software companies in the world.

Then one day I got tired of 80 hr. work-weeks in Make-Some-Money-Land and decided there was more to life.

Now I am a musician/songwriter in Nashville with a small studio, a web/media designer, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blue belt under Jeremy Akin at Brentwood BJJ, and a beach bum trapped far away from the nearest ocean."

Not saying this is the best choice for everyone, but if he is happy now; good for him.

"have been a martial arts instructor, a bartender, a soldier, a homeless man, a student, a teacher, a techhead, a consultant, a world traveler, and a program manager at one of the largest software companies in the world.

Then one day I got tired of 80 hr. work-weeks in Make-Some-Money-Land and decided there was more to life.

Now I am a musician/songwriter in Nashville with a small studio, a web/media designer, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blue belt under Jeremy Akin at Brentwood BJJ, and a beach bum trapped far away from the nearest ocean."

Not saying this is the best choice for everyone, but if he is happy now; good for him.

That is awesome. I can appreciate that.

Last edited:

That's what it's about right there, good post.

Back