Sean Walker - The Truth (Motivational Speech)

fiftysvn

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Not directly related to grappling but I thought it was worth sharing:

Might as well throw this in here too. My favorite speech.

I like this video, but I want to play devil's advocate...

I think he has a compelling story and is talented speaker. I saw this on FB today and thought..."Do I want "X" the same way I want to breathe?" My answer is no.

There is nothing more important than my breath. I also think sleep deprivation is not a good strategy for success. If it is life or death, I might understand. If the Russians invade California and I have to live in the hills and fight as an insurgent I might have to give up some sleep. I think proper sleep is extremely important to my overall health.

Maybe it's an age thing, but my "goals" are not as important as I thought. Yes, I want to accomplish things, but the accomplishment itself is not important.

We all talk about "the journey" to black belt. We are supposed to not worry about the final destination. The process, the road, whatever analogy you want to use...

In my fifth grade class a girl wanted to play "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. I never really listened to the song before. But, as I was listening to the words I thought, "This is great way to illustrate the "climb" to black belt..." It wasn't quite The Braveheart speech or Patton but it could work for a certain segment of society.

If this guy helps motivate people to do better in life, then I am all for it. Inspiration is invaluable. I just wasn't personally moved as I thought I would be...

***pre edit*** I just opened a window to see who has responded to this thread. I hope this doesn't get moved. Let's talk inspiration!

CB52 I thought the same thing you did. I'm sure as grapplers, many of us are into healthy habits such as having a relatively good diet and getting good sleep. The part about him saying success is more important than sleep was a little much, but then at the same time I do realize he is addressing college students. I think the typical college student would rather sleep than do whatever it is they're supposed to be doing.

Anyway, he still has a good point but I think the idea of success is tailored to each individual. He used an example of a man wanting to be rich, but being rich is only one person's interpretation of success.

I think the overall message is that if you want to attain success in whatever it is you do, you have to give it everything you have and that the only thing stopping you is you.

Anyway, he still has a good point but I think the idea of success is tailored to each individual. He used an example of a man wanting to be rich, but being rich is only one person's interpretation of success.

I think the overall message is that if you want to attain success in whatever it is you do, you have to give it everything you have and that the only thing stopping you is you.

The message is very true. The problem is that a lot of people end up chasing false goals and ultimately discover that after achieving them, the victory is hollow.

I saw an article about a week ago specifically written for fighters. The main message was that if you want to be a champion fighter, you have to "not suck at life." I had to laugh because this is so false it's not even funny.

There are tons and tons of stories of champions ultimately ending up unhappy and alone. For just one example, take a look at Mike Tyson today. He had an amazing boxing career, but the rest of his life is pretty much wrecked by any reasonable standard. You can pick any number of other champions in different disciplines to see the same sort of pattern.

The truth is that you will probably succeed to a greater degree than you ever imagined if you fully dedicate yourself to a goal 100%. However, be careful in your choice of goals or else you just might find yourself sad and alone after all of the sacrifices you had to make in order to achieve your hollow goal.

CB52 I thought the same thing you did. I'm sure as grapplers, many of us are into healthy habits such as having a relatively good diet and getting good sleep. The part about him saying success is more important than sleep was a little much, but then at the same time I do realize he is addressing college students. I think the typical college student would rather sleep than do whatever it is they're supposed to be doing.

57, I agree. I think his message was tailored nicely to his audience. I remember sleeping in late during college. :redface:

I think there are many people who "want" things. There are not too many people who are willing to make the sacrifices it takes to acquire "things." (non material things as well)

Once I gave some form of motivational speech to a little kid. "You can do anything if you try hard enough" speech. A couple days later he came to me asking why someone wouldn't be his friend. He was really "trying" to make them like him.

I don't want to get all Eastern Religious on everybody, but sometimes you have to "try" without trying. Some white belts I train with really want to get the kimura from side control. They are really trying to get it. They don't realize there might be an easier alternative.

I think we need heroes. Listening to people who have overcome great adversity is very inspiring...

The message is very true. The problem is that a lot of people end up chasing false goals and ultimately discover that after achieving them, the victory is hollow.

I saw an article about a week ago specifically written for fighters. The main message was that if you want to be a champion fighter, you have to "not suck at life." I had to laugh because this is so false it's not even funny.

There are tons and tons of stories of champions ultimately ending up unhappy and alone. For just one example, take a look at Mike Tyson today. He had an amazing boxing career, but the rest of his life is pretty much wrecked by any reasonable standard. You can pick any number of other champions in different disciplines to see the same sort of pattern.

The truth is that you will probably succeed to a greater degree than you ever imagined if you fully dedicate yourself to a goal 100%. However, be careful in your choice of goals or else you just might find yourself sad and alone after all of the sacrifices you had to make in order to achieve your hollow goal.

After tournaments do you feel deflated? Sometimes there is such an emotional build up before the tournament that afterwards I feel kinda empty inside. Even if I win, I ask myself, "Is this it?" "Is this what I was working for?"

I talk to my students about competing and I will show them my medals. But, I want them to know that the medal itself is mostly insignificant. Someone can come in here and steal it, but nobody can take away the hard work and effort it took to achieve it. The day to day grind is the real challenge!

After tournaments do you feel deflated? Sometimes there is such an emotional build up before the tournament that afterwards I feel kinda empty inside. Even if I win, I ask myself, "Is this it?" "Is this what I was working for?"

I talk to my students about competing and I will show them my medals. But, I want them to know that the medal itself is mostly insignificant. Someone can come in here and steal it, but nobody can take away the hard work and effort it took to achieve it. The day to day grind is the real challenge!

I just discovered this for myself first hand, except I have been unable to put my finger on just exactly what it was that I was feeling. Awesome post good sir.

This is basically just another elongated feel-good bumper sticker that's been reposted on facebook too many damn times.

"You need to want to be successful as much as you want to breathe."

Okay!

This is basically just another elongated feel-good bumper sticker that's been reposted on facebook too many damn times.

"You need to want to be successful as much as you want to breathe."

Okay!

Maybe you are too jaded to respond, but honestly, I know where this guy is coming from. I've made enough mistakes in life and right now I've got about one more chance to turn things around. If you've never been there, that's cool. But I don't have a choice, I perform or lose. Given those choices, do I need to hear that it's "do or die" or that "success is a matter of definition, and if we want to get technical and break...".

Perhaps for some people, this is purely a philosophical question, but I'm in the fuckin lab. Tonight, I have a choice, "sleep or succeed". Literally. I'm not going to go into it, but I'm going back to school, I have a wife and family and job, I have limited time, and I either do while other people are sleeping or I just don't do. That may sound easy on paper, and maybe we don't need nice speeches and stuff to get fired up, but it's a little different at 4:00 AM.

And if you must know, I have a kid at my ankles right now, I just got off school and picked them up an hour or so ago. If he would leave me alone to concentrate on calculus I would do that, but this is my break. The only time I'm going to be left alone is tonight after 10:00 pm. In case anybody feels like busting that trip on me.

There are a few things that get me motivated, I think I can add those videos to them. I think it helps motivate you when you feel like taking a rest from drilling, rolling, exercising etc. There are always going to be times where you make excuses for yourself not to roll.

This quote from Teddy is the one that motivates me most.

There are a few things that get me motivated, I think I can add those videos to them. I think it helps motivate you when you feel like taking a rest from drilling, rolling, exercising etc. There are always going to be times where you make excuses for yourself not to roll.

This quote from Teddy is the one that motivates me most.

dumbest thing i've ever heard

i understand what he is trying to say--but telling people to sacrifice proper rest and nutrition is just plain stupid

Back