Sean strickland gonna become a true contender

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think he's the next champion but he will be in the top 5 soon, got a nice chin, all around good game and high volume which will be a problem for most. I don't know about his wrestling game but honestly i only see vettori and brunson in the top 10 as guys who couod give him problem there

Well, I’ll watch this thread then.

Don't sleep on The Chris. He's coming back.

images

His defensive wrestling didn't look too bad vs Usman. Still got wrestlefucked in the end but Usman had to work for it.

He’s a bit too levelheaded to be a contender. He needs to be a bit more quirky and unstable in my opinion.

He has all the makings of a solid top ten gatekeeper, but I don't see him going much further than that. He appears to me as a sort of greatly improved Court McGee with a much higher ceiling, but not enough to reach title contention.

I think he's the perfect fight for the return of costa.

it was hilarious how he didnt use footwork alot he just took one step forward or backward and stayed in his little box and pooned Uriah

He already is. He is 1 or 2 fights away from a title shot.

I think he will earn a shot. Him and Izzy would be fun to watch.

A bit of aside not here: does it seem like the vast majority of UFC fights now are kickboxing matches. Like, is Dana trying to weed out grappling for the more fan friendly striking style?

Anyone with decent counterstriking that can utilize angles give Strickland fits, he even admitted on the post fight show that due to his injuries he’s limited in how he fights... he basically needs an opponent who will stand in front of him or move straight backwards, while I appreciate his honesty, that wasn’t really a smart things to say in an interview and make known to potential opponents.
<Fedor23>

I think he’s a potential top three guy. I think Izzy and Rob are both really bad matchups for him though. Izzy might actually be the better matchup for him if Izzy doesn’t fight the right fight. Izzy loves to bait with his head and spring back then counterstrike.

If Strickland was to double and triple jab in and trap Izzy at the end of the spring, he could possibly land some good stuff.

I don’t like anyone’s chances when it relies on one fighter doing everything g right and the other guy doing everything wrong though. I think Strickland’s lack of mobility most likely makes his ceiling for him.

A fighter like Vettori or especially Brunson could also be kryptonite- someone very willing to lay on him. It’s been a good while since we’ve seen his counter wrestling tested, and I can’t recall it at all at MW.

I don't think he's the next champion but he will be in the top 5 soon, got a nice chin, all around good game and high volume which will be a problem for most. I don't know about his wrestling game but honestly i only see vettori and brunson in the top 10 as guys who couod give him problem there
iu

He looks like those old school bare knuckle fighters. He has awkward punches but because he moves forward all the time they land. I was surprised with some of the hooks and punches he landed. I think its his chin that lets him have constant pressure plus he is pretty long. He surprised me at some of the shots he landed and how hard they landed. His awkward punches though, if you notice with Uriah, make it so he hits people in the back of the head a bit too much. His face looked fine after the fight. He is not getting hit too much but top 5 I have a hard time seeing him do much.

His constant offense is his defense. If he can not do that I see him getting in trouble but only time will tell.

Back