Sean Strickland arm hyperextended

I encourage my fighters to work things out or go their separate ways. However if both fighters want to squash in the cage at gym, they can do that too. We are grown men and in a martial arts world. Sometimes it's the only way it will be resolved.

Most people on these forums are fans and never have competed in combat sports or even know how fighters think and behave. In every gym, their is conflict at times between fighters. Most things work out after everyone cools down, sometimes not.

As a coach and owner of a mma academy, the mma students are our biggest issues when it comes to conflicts in the gym.

Our boxing, muythai and bjj classes very rarely have any conflicts where people are getting pissed and trying to fight.

It just comes with the territory with mma guys for the most part where I have to stop training because of heated arguments or fights. I think because mma training is the closets to fighting so the guys ego are damaged more than any other martial arts in the academy.

The mma guys are ok losing to the better pure boxer, or BJJ guy, but when it comes to mma, alot take it personal when their getting worked. Not all of them but alot.

Bisping says what I've said about what happens in the gyms between fighters.

Great run of posts in here. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Wait...this guy injured people with an ARM DRAG? That's interesting, I can't imagine hurting someone with that, did he do it in some sort of weird way? It's super common in BJJ too and I've never heard of anyone getting hurt from it...?
Yeah, it was his signature move and I hadn't seen it done before or since like he did it. Basically he'd suck your outside arm through and get you off balance with your arm straight across the middle, then while holding your arm with his inside arm, he would turn in and slam his bicep/shoulder in to the back of your extended arm.

That probably isn't the best explanation, it looks pretty similar to a basic armdrag, but your elbow would get blown out if you didn't lean in to it, and then your shoulder is vulnerable at that point. That shit was violent, refs seemed to be confused on how to handle it. Coaches would complain but there didn't seem to be an official rule against it.

It's always funny seeing Sherdog's perspective on training incidents, you can always tell who has real-world experience and who doesn't. The people that don't sound like professors in academia who have never been outside of their college, but have all of these huge ideas about how society should be structured lol.

That is the exact reason why I think these type of moves shouldn't be legal. With submissions you can tap before real damage happens or at least have some warning. With these moves like the one in the video, or when Jon was doing the elbow/shoulder thing on Glover or kicking at the knee trying to hyper extended it, it isn't giving the other fight any chance to essentially 'tap' before the damage is done. Yeah knockouts you don't get a chance to tap either for many, but it is just different with ligament damage that can happen. I know I know, the brain >>> ligaments, but with all this fighter safety shit they claim, they should ban these type of moves. Otherwise, allow soccer kicks, up kicks, and knees to downed opponents.
In a fight tear someone's ligaments break their bones I don't mind but in training that shit is dirty af

so by know you've heard the other side of this story...

Yeah, it was his signature move and I hadn't seen it done before or since like he did it. Basically he'd suck your outside arm through and get you off balance with your arm straight across the middle, then while holding your arm with his inside arm, he would turn in and slam his bicep/shoulder in to the back of your extended arm.

That probably isn't the best explanation, it looks pretty similar to a basic armdrag, but your elbow would get blown out if you didn't lean in to it, and then your shoulder is vulnerable at that point. That shit was violent, refs seemed to be confused on how to handle it. Coaches would complain but there didn't seem to be an official rule against it.
Man Id love to see a video or demo of this

Same thing Jones did to Glover.

Cranked a kannuki-gatame. Lol why would you do this in practice? He cranked that so fast like he was in an actual MMA fight. Hope someone puts him in a juji-gatame and cranks his arm fast.

In a fight tear someone's ligaments break their bones I don't mind but in training that shit is dirty af
I guess what I'm saying is that if we aren't going to let these people have a real fight, which is why we have many rules, then I think these moves should be illegal as well. I think fighters should have a chance to tap before a ligament tear happens, which isn't the case in those examples I used. Hell look at Yoel and messing up Whittakers knee on that kick early on.

Wait...this guy injured people with an ARM DRAG? That's interesting, I can't imagine hurting someone with that, did he do it in some sort of weird way? It's super common in BJJ too and I've never heard of anyone getting hurt from it...?
You can hyper extend someone's elbow if you grab their elbow instead of their tricep and yank their arm.

Jiu Jitsu competition is a sport filled with criminals. This is assault. Could have ended his entire career. And the fact that this obese guy can juice until his gut is spilling out and compete is a complete disgrace.

In the longer version of the video orlando tries the move and misses. Strickland doesnt say anything when orlando misses the sub. If he had a problem with that move he should have told orlando as such the first time.

In the longer version of the video orlando tries the move and misses. Strickland doesnt say anything when orlando misses the sub. If he had a problem with that move he should have told orlando as such the first time.

so it’s Sean’s fault that fat guy tried to break his arm? probably thought dude was just trying to clear the underhook little too hard. But after he does it again and with more force it’s clear that he was trying to injure Sean. You and fat ass are both bums

Yeah its a dick move to rip it like that. However, the dude dies need to learn not to put his arm there like that. Should have been done at half that speed just to keep him aware that it was there.

Shut up Orland. Dick move.

It's always funny seeing Sherdog's perspective on training incidents, you can always tell who has real-world experience and who doesn't. The people that don't sound like professors in academia who have never been outside of their college, but have all of these huge ideas about how society should be structured lol.
That shit is free game at my gym but we also don't rip it hard.

Back