Sean Spencer Replaces Cedenblad vs. Natal at UFC on Fox 6

JonSnitchPhones

Beastin' 26/9
Reaction score
I actually really like Spencer as a prospect, but he's a smallish welterweight. He's got to find a way to use his speed and kickboxing to win this fight.

Ultimately though, Natal probably takes down the primary striker like he did against Kuiper, and uses his BJJ to win. Spencer's has solid TDD, but he's ceding a lot of size in this match, and he's kind of green when it comes to BJJ. He kept giving up his back against Evan Cutts, and his one loss is by triangle. Especially at this weight he doesn't have the one strike KO power to threaten Natal either, unlike Kuiper and Craig. He's a punches in bunches, lateral movement guy.

Hopefully this probable loss doesn't ruin Spencer. He has a future at WW as at least a mid tier guy. He might even be upper mid to a contender at LW. If he was going in one direction, it should have been down. He's doing what it takes to get his foot in the UFC door. Hopefully it works out for him in the end.

Smallish WW but the fight is at Middleweight right??

Correct.

And I don't ever want to hear another UFC fighter complain about not being able to fight enough if they're having to sign guys like Spencer and the guy stepping in for Buddy Roberts.

Smallish WW but the fight is at Middleweight right??

Yeah, that's my point as to why this is a risky/unfavorable match-up. There's about a natural 20 lb difference here. If Spencer bulks up to compensate, it'll probably be to his detriment.

It's akin to when Henry Martinez faced Matt Riddle. That didn't end up working out too badly actually, but unfortunately for Spencer, Natal isn't the goof that Riddle is. He's actually shown fight I.Q. He'll look to use his BJJ and weight advantage.

Natal will finish him

if he doesnt go all Andy wannabe that is

This is jus a way for Spencer to get his foot in the door in the UFC. I doubt a loss to Natal on short notice in a division above him is gonna get him cut unless he gives a Kalib Starnes performance.

i like sean a lot - he's a nice kid. I grappled with him about a year ago, and his BJJ needed a lot of work then. I'm sure it's improved, as he is pretty dedicated to the sport as you can imagine.

he's got good athleticism, and I hope he has a good fight. He was small for a WW, and if this fight goes to the ground, I could see him getting submitted (either from top or bottom). I'm sure his team will put together a good plan.

Spencer looked really good against Evan Cutts, the guy who beat BJ's brother.

Sucks that a decent prospect's getting a debut loss fairly easily here but Spencer will get his chance at his natural weight. Natal, sub, 2nd round.

Back