"sean sherk, ya dead!"

MMA92585

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Was this the most "motivated" Penn ever? I remember thinking Sherk was going to wrestle F*** him. Glad I was wrong.

The most motivated BJ ever was probably the one who ripped open a goat's vagina in Diego Sanchez's face.

Didnt Bj back down like 10 seconds later when Sherk went in the cage with him?

Well to play Devils advocate BJ didn't know what stage of the cycle Sherk was on at the time. Best to play it safe.

to the death, Georges, not kidding

...he's going to think I'm a god

^ Those were the memorable ones from UFC Primetime, I think.

The one who destroyed endurance machines like Sanchez and Florian because he was actually training cardio properly under Marinovich.

Last edited:
Yea after that GSP embarrassment I would use quotes about death as proof of BJ's motivation

Penn looked like an absolute beast against Joe Daddy, Sherk, Florini, and Sanchez- if you take out the destruction by GSP (he never should have went back up to WW to do that at that point anyway- pride fucking with you) and that was the best segment of his career.

Insane to think a few years later he'd look the way he did against Edgar his last time out.

No.

it was the BJ who fought Edgar in the second fight. The same BJ who lost a close and controversial decision to Frankie the first time and was pissed about everything in that fight and was showing up to make a statement.

BJ fans knew Edgar was in trouble as did those who did not really like BJ. Bj was coming to settle that score.

The most motivated BJ ever was probably the one who ripped open a goat's vagina in Diego Sanchez's face.

Stole his soul when he did that.

Maybe he should have made this maneuver part of his normal repertoire?

Penn looked like an absolute beast against Joe Daddy, Sherk, Florini, and Sanchez- if you take out the destruction by GSP (he never should have went back up to WW to do that at that point anyway- pride fucking with you) and that was the best segment of his career.

Insane to think a few years later he'd look the way he did against Edgar his last time out.

Why?

Be honest and tell me why.

The UFC LW division was brand new and very thin when BJ took it and ruled it. It was by comparison a very weak division then the one Edgar had to defend in and ever since then.

Not sure why people are shocked BJ dominated and crushed guys in the much weaker version of the LW division but could not win once the division attracted some top talent. BJ was a loan top shark swimming mostly amongst guy a tier below when he ruled the LW division.

This, also Sherk came into the fight with one of the worst gameplans ever. I think he shot one takedown, decided to box Penn and he chose to COUNTER BJ. He seriously let a guy with a questionable gas tank to set the pace in the striking and made no effort to clinch/wrestle to tire him out.

The one who destroyed endurance machines like Sanchez and Florian because he was actually training cardio properly under Marinovich.

BJ was NEVER the same after him and Marv split. I think if he was still training cardio with Marv, His career could have been better than what it ended up being during the end.

He should have been fighting at 155 his whole stint

Last edited:
This, also Sherk came into the fight with one of the worst gameplans ever. I think he shot one takedown, decided to box Penn and he chose to COUNTER BJ. He seriously let a guy with a questionable gas tank to set the pace in the striking and made no effort to clinch/wrestle to tire him out.

This. If Sherk attempted to wrestle with Penn, the fight could have ended much differently (don't forget that right after, GSP implemented a wrestling-heavy gameplan and basically broke BJ's spirit).

We've all seen what happens to Sherk when he doesn't use his wrestling. 3rd round of the Griffin fight, The Edgar fight, and the 3rd round of the Dunham fight. If Sherk chose to use the strategy he used in the Penn fight for all his fights he would have had A LOT more losses on his record.

In response to TS's question, I would say the best Penn was the Penn that fought with Florian.

Back