Sean O’Malley plans on testing free agency once UFC contract expires

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Sean-OMalley-1.jpg

UFC bantamweight contender Sean O’Malley says he plans on testing free agency once his UFC contract expires next year.

O’Malley is one of the top young bantamweights in the sport right now, as well as one of the biggest stars in the sport. However, he has continually fought lower-ranked competition, with one of the reasons he is doing so because he believes he should get paid more money to fight ranked fighters in headlining fights. O’Malley is happy to be a member of the UFC roster, but he also hopes the company pays him more money going forward.

Speaking to Ariel Helwani’s The MMA Hour, O’Malley admitted that he is hoping to get a big-money offer in free agency. O’Malley said he still has a few fights left on his UFC contract, but once it’s over, he plans on testing free agency and seeing what’s out there.

“I could probably renegotiate a contract right now with the UFC, but then I don’t get offers from other places. And I’m not necessarily looking to leave, I’m not necessarily looking to go other places, but we’ll see what other opportunities present themselves,” O’Malley said.

“I really do plan on staying with the UFC. I think I belong in the UFC. But also if I’m going to get offered twice as much money to go do something else — I love boxing. We’ll see where it goes. Like I said, I love the UFC, they’ve been nothing but great to me. And I think after this contract is up, I don’t think they’ll have an issue paying me what I think I deserve. But we might be on a completely different mindset there. They might not think I’m worth half a million or whatever the number is. I’ve been on like five consecutive pay-per-views.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...ntract-expires/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

If he’s smart he goes to boxing or Bellator. Nobody makes money in the UFC unless you have leverage which is almost impossible to get because of the slavery like contract terms. Dana and Shelby are going to try and screw him before he gets out of the contract though. They will shelve him until he’s 30 and try to give him the hardest matchups and when he turns them down the “contract will extend” just like they did to Paulo Costa. What a joke. Shit should be illegal.

What's not smart is publicly talking about it, because now the UFC will either give him extremely tough matchups or ones short notice enough for him to turn down so they can keep extending his contract; O'Malley should've kept his plans quiet, but he's just demonstrating once again that UFC fighters are clueless when it comes to business and negotiations.

Pretty sure MVP is fighting Douglas Lima again in 2 weeks. Wouldn’t classify Lima as a can

Fair point. Lima is damn good, though he's struggling a bit right now. And it's also his second fight with Lima. And Page fought Daley. So he has faced some very good, dangerous fighters. But look at his record and resume overall. It is more than fair to characterize him as a can crusher.

Thought he's still living fairly good off his side hustle? YouTube and dumb rich men that are willing to sponsor him on a small platform, his youtube channel I mean.

Fair point. Lima is damn good, though he's struggling a bit right now. And it's also his second fight with Lima. And Page fought Daley. So he has faced some very good, dangerous fighters. But look at his record and resume overall. It is more than fair to characterize him as a can crusher.
Idk I wouldn’t classify Derek Anderson Shinzo Anzai or Ross Houston as cans either. Yeah he’s fought some bums big deal. There’s no denying MVP is legit as fuck.

What's not smart is publicly talking about it, because now the UFC will either give him extremely tough matchups or ones short notice enough for him to turn down so they can keep extending his contract; O'Malley should've kept his plans quiet, but he's just demonstrating once again that UFC fighters are clueless when it comes to business and negotiations.

I find O'Malley to be morally repugnant, but not stupid. The tenor of his answer was very pro-UFC, but he wasn't obsequious. It could be that he has zero intention of signing anywhere else, and is simply getting some leverage for future contract negotiations. He probably wants a clean million per fight, and he's probably worth it.

No such thing as regional guy in the UFC. If you sign with UFC you are a superstar and automatically better than anyone outside of UFC. Kris Moutinho would be champ in every organization because he’s a ufc fighter.
If you're in the UFC you're automatically overrated and every champion in Bellator would mop the floor with their UFC counterparts.

Am i doing this right?

Common sense just isn’t so common these days

If you're in the UFC you're automatically overrated and every champion in Bellator would mop the floor with their UFC counterparts.

Am i doing this right?
Nope you sound like an idiot per usual

Back