Law Civil Asset Forfeiture CANCELLED

JamesRussler

You can call me Jimmy
Banned
Reaction score
Supreme Court curbs power of government to impose heavy fines and seize property

In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled to drastically curb the powers that states and cities have to levy fines and seize property, marking the first time the court has applied the Constitution’s ban on excessive fines at the state level.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who returned to the court for the first time in almost two months after undergoing surgery for lung cancer, wrote the majority opinion in the case involving an Indiana man who had his Land Rover seized after he was arrested for selling $385 of heroin.

“Protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history for good reason: Such fines undermine other liberties," Ginsburg wrote. “They can be used, e.g., to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies. They can also be employed, not in service of penal purposes, but as a source of revenue.”

JUSTICE GINSBURG MAKES FIRST VISIT TO SUPREME COURT SINCE LUNG CANCER SURGERY

While the ruling was unanimous, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote a separate opinion outlining different reasons for reaching the same conclusion -- namely, that "the right to be free from excessive fines is one of the 'privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States' protected by the Fourteenth Amendment." Ginsburg's opinion was based on the due process clause of the same amendment.

The Supreme Court, with its ruling, sent the case of Tyson Timbs back to a lower court to decide if Indiana officials went too far in seizing Timbs’ Land Rover. Timbs, who bought the Land Rover for $42,000 in January 2013, was arrested a few months later for selling heroin and pleaded guilty.

Timbs, who was sentenced to one year of home detention and five years of probation, argues that the forfeiture of his vehicle was disproportionate to the $10,000 maximum fine he faced for selling heroin.

Video
The high court’s ruling could now limit the ability for states and cities to carry out what critics – on both sides of the political divide – say is an increasingly common practice of imposing steep fines and seizing property.

Timbs' legal team, at the Institute for Justice, cast the decision as a blow against the practice of civil forfeiture, the legal process by which law enforcement officers are able to take assets from people suspected of involvement in a crime without necessarily charging the owners with wrongdoing.

The same group has focused on similar issues for years. “I can’t think of any other issue that enjoys such cross-aisle support,” Darpana Sheth, a senior attorney at the Institute for Justice, told Fox News in 2017.

DOJ ASKS SUPREME COURT TO TAKE UP CASE OF MILITARY TRANSGENDER BAN

Video
The Constitution’s ban on excessive fines, meanwhile, is enshrined in the Eighth Amendment and, while originally it only applied at the federal level, the Supreme Court since the 1960s has incorporated many of those rights at the state level under the 14th Amendment’s due process clause.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Since 2014, more than 20 states and Washington, D.C., have enacted laws either limiting forfeiture or making the process more transparent.

New Mexico now requires a criminal conviction before any property is seized, and police in Florida need to prove “beyond reasonable doubt” that property was linked to a crime before it’s seized. Arizona raised the burden on law enforcement to prove property was used in a crime from a preponderance of evidence to clear and convincing evidence, while Mississippi passed a law enacting a slew of provisions aimed at bringing more transparency to the practice.

I support this development. Happy to see that it was a unanimous decision. Thoughts?

I saw this earlier today on msn. Very good news. Local law enforcement will be curbed, and over reaches will have an easy ruling to point to as what is blatantly a unanimous unconstional (taking a vehicle for selling drugs not at the kingpin levels) if said person can get a halfway competent lawyer

Cool to see RBG get the opinion writing duties. Should quiet people who thinks she's just a brainless frail body after her latest health troubles

This is the ONE thing that Holder got right.

Unanimous...dont see many of those. Asset forfeiture was always unjust because it assumes guilt when you have presumption of innocence in this country - even if caught on camera doing the deed- there could be "reasons"...If you ask me decision doesn't go far enough.

I suspect except for the trolls and the shills this will be a unanimously supported decision in the WR as well.

I am perfectly okay with this decision. Law enforcement for far to long has been given free reign to essentially take seemingly whatever they want from you without any way for a person to fight back.

It feels like they're drawing a bold line here. The depreciated value of a Range Rover is somewhat comparable to the value of $10,000 (it's on the same side of the same order of magnitude, at least). I haven't read deeply but that stands out as interesting & good.

Happy for the decision, although Thomas's separate opinion was poor.

Good. Long overdue. Hasn't been that long ago they were seizing houseboats for pot seeds and stems when the damn boat was rented out or leased to someone other than the owner. Seizing cars right and left in certain jurisdictions on interstate 75. Cash from anyone that had any. These things were all happening as recently as the late '90s and early 2000s when I read articles and saw reports and thought "damn...".

I agree 100%. They where taking peoples stuff without even charging people with a crime.

She'll outlast this Administration on sheer will. :eek:

I think an underlying theme I'm having to present through a variety of topics and issues on here is the limitations of human biology. :oops:

Back