Scott Coker shouldn't be mixing Kickboxing & MMA in the same event for September.

I don't agree, K1 did it a few years ago on new years eve and it was exciting to watch. As long as it's done right it will be cool.

That was for a different audience, one that liked kickboxing more than MMA actually. I can't imagine what Glory fights would actually interest Bellator viewers or casual Bellator viewers other than a top Bellator guy in a kickboxing match.

I remember back at the height of Pride they were considering doing some events where there stars could call each other out in different disciplines. For example have a grappling match or a kickboxing match. It never manifested, but I remember people were getting excited for the possibility.

It's a mistake for Bellator to have both Kickboxing & MMA matches at the same event. Most of the Newer MMA fans don't really care for kickboxing or visa versa, Are all the Kickboxing fights 3 rounds without any championship fights?

I am not particularly interested in kickboxing myself. I am only interested in MMA. That is the point, though. It consolidates two fan bases for one event to consolidate costs for each promotion. I disagree that it is a bad idea.

That was for a different audience, one that liked kickboxing more than MMA actually. I can't imagine what Glory fights would actually interest Bellator viewers or casual Bellator viewers other than a top Bellator guy in a kickboxing match.

It will bring new fans for each sport and promotion, not sure what the problem is if events like this are only occasionally.

If orgs like Bellator want to do this type of thing I don't really care much as I don't really watch all their events unless something peaks my interest. Like Chandler vs Alvarez. Not the Kimbo Slice/Tito fights.

I don't want to see the UFC ever start doing something like this. Luckily I don't have to worry about something like that.

Really? I've heard a lot of posters voice their opinion that they would like to see different rule-set fights in the UFC. You're right that co-promotion is never going to happen, but I would be all for hybrid rules matches that don't count on MMA records.

For example a grappling only match between someone like Bendo and DHK because they both competed in the ADCC but were eliminated early. Or a 'cage kick/boxing' match between two strikers. I think it was Cage Rage that was holding those for awhile, between Bisping and Diabate fought under those rules against eachother.

Really? I've heard a lot of posters voice their opinion that they would like to see different rule-set fights in the UFC. You're right that co-promotion is never going to happen, but I would be all for hybrid rules matches that don't count on MMA records.

For example a grappling only match between someone like Bendo and DHK because they both competed in the ADCC but were eliminated early. Or a 'cage kick/boxing' match between two strikers. I think it was Cage Rage that was holding those for awhile, between Bisping and Diabate fought under those rules against eachother.

Yea I'm just not into that kind of stuff. I like MMA mixing all the combinations together cause to me that's the closest will ever get to a real fight. My main passion is seeing who the best fighters in the world are. As far as who's the best grappler/striker that doesn't interest me at all really. It's why I could never get into boxing when I was a kid. I loved fighting and wanted to do martial arts but I could never take boxing seriously.

Bellator needs to do something to separate themselves from the UFC to be an alternative otherwise it will always look like a lesser version of the UFC.

Which is exactly what coker is trying to do. May not be pretty, but the man is doing what he has to to get ratings.

If there is a demand for something, he will gladly fill the void.. he is doing that with the freakshow kimbo fight... he is also sparking interest with this hybriid card...

Idk why people think its a good idea to go heads up with the ufc.

I am not particularly interested in kickboxing myself. I am only interested in MMA. That is the point, though. It consolidates two fan bases for one event to consolidate costs for each promotion. I disagree that it is a bad idea.

Ummm...it's the same thing, Dana. Kickboxing is a part of MMA, just minus the boring wrestling. You should like it if you like MMA.

Anyway, I love this idea. I hope it's successful and we can see crossovers with BJJ and Sambo too showing up in Bellator in the future.

I enjoy kickboxing when its on but I dont care about it like I do mma. I also dont really get anymore excited for a joint event.

I get why they are doing it, its different something that makes them stand out and for Spike it helps push Glory which really needs it.

But I'd have been more excited if they just made a stacked Bellator show, added another title fight and another good fight and didnt do the kickboxing.

Give me

Tito/Liam
Brooks/Held
LHW Tournament fights
Mo/Vassell
Davis/Newton
LHW finals
Lashley vs Tony Johnson

if you are gonna do a 3-4 hour card give me that over this Dynamite event.

Everyone is talking about the ring and cage setup but if you attend live you're looking at the screen 95% of the time anyway

The problem is the setup, I think they should have used the ring instead of the cage for both events. I wonder what the fight order will be like.

The problem is the setup, I think they should have used the ring instead of the cage for both events. I wonder what the fight order will be like.

That would help the fans in the arena.

I remember back at the height of Pride they were considering doing some events where there stars could call each other out in different disciplines. For example have a grappling match or a kickboxing match. It never manifested, but I remember people were getting excited for the possibility.

I remember some of the K1 Dynamite events had mixed rules matches. 1st round kickboxing rules, 2nd round MMA rules. Everything about the Dynamite events were always entertaining.

That's when Nagashima KTFO Aoki in a NYE event when Aoki kept acting like a bitch diving to the ground in the 1st round of kickboxing rules to avoid exchanging, then in the 2nd round of MMA rules he got brutally destroyed which was awesome and unexpected.

1st rd K1 rules, Aoki being a beta
20jh0yu.jpg

1.gif

2nd rd. mma rules. lol
aokiknee.gif

also, we got this traumatizing moment when Trigg lost a bet that Aoki would win...
000.gif

Last edited:
The problem really boils down to the limited talent that Bellator has. They have very few guys that can pull ratings so doing "clich

Main Event will be for the light heavyweight title Cavalari vs. Mwekassa over 5 rounds.

Rest of the card will be announced this evening at Glory 23.

Varga vs. Adamchuck added for the featherweight belt over 5 rounds as the co-main event.

nice card so far.

I remember some of the K1 Dynamite events had mixed rules matches. 1st round kickboxing rules, 2nd round MMA rules. Everything about the Dynamite events were always entertaining.

That's when Nagashima KTFO Aoki in a NYE event when Aoki kept acting like a bitch diving to the ground in the 1st round of kickboxing rules to avoid exchanging, then in the 2nd round of MMA rules he got brutally destroyed which was awesome and unexpected.

1st rd K1 rules, Aoki being a beta
20jh0yu.jpg

1.gif

2nd rd. mma rules. lol
aokiknee.gif

also, we got this traumatizing moment when Trigg lost a bet that Aoki would win...
000.gif

Aoki is one of my favourites but that fight was awesome.

Another one was Dynamite 2010 (IIRC) Kawajiri fought K-1, and Mousasi vs Musashi. Overeem vs. Badr Hari was on the same card IIRC, the kickboxing fights really took the card to the next level. If they do it right it's a lot of fun.

I mean who wants to watch Paul Daley grapple anyways, we want to watch him strike. Even if they choose all straight kickboxers, if the fights good then the fights good, all MMA fans appreciate kickboxing, it a huge part of MMA.

Last edited:
Ummm...it's the same thing, Dana. Kickboxing is a part of MMA, just minus the boring wrestling. You should like it if you like MMA.

Ummm...it's not the same thing. There is no threat of a takedown or a submission in Kickboxing, which makes it less interesting to me. I prefer a combat sport with a variety in potential tactics and use of smaller gloves.

That said, I think a cross-promotion is a good idea because it helps both promotions.

Why not just use the ring instead of ring/cage. People sitting sideline aren't going to be able to see both

Why not just use the ring instead of ring/cage. People sitting sideline aren't going to be able to see both

Because Bellator fights are not fought inside a ring. People will probably have the option of buying tickets for "Bellator side" or "Glory side."

Back