1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Scott Coker: Fedor Emelianenko seeking Ryan Bader title rematch for MMA retirement fight

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Syrus Bunns III When the goin gets tuff, the tuff get buff Double Yellow Card

Listen, Bigfoot hasn't won a fight In 6 years, lost his last 9 fights. His daughter has a better chance at winning against Fedor than he does

2. Jewish Lightning White Belt

Fedor doesn't need to win another championship belt. He was the Pride HW Champion which is as prestigious as it gets and being the Bellator champion wont mean much because he wont defend. Secondly Fedor should be fighting legends at his age. This way if he wins, he beat another legend. If he loses he lost to a legend. If he loses to Bader (which is the likely outcome) he finishes his career with a loss to someone who wont ever be considered a legend and with two losses to him on his record at that. Just a shitty way to end a historic career.

A fight with Anderson Silva is way more prolific and interesting. It would generate big ratings and the whole world of combat sports would tune in. Same goes for a fight with JDS who is a UFC hall of famer or Werdum who is an all time great and a guy Fedor has history with. We also have Barnett who is a little bit less reliable than the guys I mentioned but he's an all time great and a much better last fight than vanilla ass Ryan Bader who nobody gives a shit about and who will likely wrestle the shit out of Fedor and make him gas in 2 minutes and stop him on the ground. 2 losses to Bader is a nasty stain on Fedors record and he deserves a better goodbye than that IMO.

I hope Valentin Moldavsky stomps a mud hole in Baders skull so that the fight doesn't happen. From what I understand Fedor said he only wants Bader if Valentin can't get the job done. Let's hope Val gets it done.

3. BFoe Gold Belt Platinum Member

I agree with you in some points, and disagree on others.
    I think it’s clear is that Fedor didn’t return from retirement just to fight legends fights—he wanted to win a title. That’s why he entered the Grand Prix. Not sure what you mean when you say he doesn’t “need” another title. He doesn’t “need” anything for his legacy really, including beating other legends. Kobe, Jordan, and Brady don’t really “need” a million rings either, it’s just what legendary athletes do. And winning that belt does add to his legacy—or at least, it should. People went apeshit when Couture won a UFC belt at age 43, but Couture also went pro a full decade after Fedor. Fedor winning a title at age 45–even the Bellator title—is a significant achievement.

Fedor obviously knows how the first Bader fight went, and he understands the pressure of running that back in his retirement fight, in Russia—but he’d clearly rather risk losing a title fight than take a legends fight for his retirement fight, and I think we should respect that. My preferences for Fedor’s last fight:
    1. Bader
    2. Werdum
    3. Overeem
    4. Silva
    5. JDS
    6. Barnett
    I’m totally down for a Werdum rematch, and I think Reem, Barnett, and JDS make sense. Some of these names I see thrown around here, like Machida or Yoel, make no sense whatsoever and I’m not really into that idea. Beating Machida or Yoel does nothing for Fedor. Even Silva, while it would be a cool fight, is the MW GOAT who has a few LHW fights. It doesn’t mean much for the HW GOAT to beat him. Fedor should beat him, you know?
    I always cheer Moldavsky, and I def will against Bader too. But my preference is that Fedor end his career with a title fight.

josh345, CinemaKingdom and norsuu like this.
  4. Jewish Lightning White Belt

I don't see the point in fighting Lyoto or Yoel either buy I most definitely prefer having a win/loss to an all time great like Anderson, Werdum, JDS or Barnett than to have a Bellator belt which is an arbitrary piece of metal without any ranking significance or potentially two losses to Bader. Anything but two losses to Bader for christ sake. The Babe deserves better.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    BFoe likes this.
  5. BFoe Gold Belt Platinum Member

Let’s be honest, watching Fedor avenge that Bader loss and retire in Russia with another title win would be pretty sweet. And I think there are enough factors to make it interesting: 3.5 years will have passed since the first fight, and Bader has not looked good lately. Fedor’s mobility looks much better to me since he got surgery on his left knee, and he’d have the chance to come into this Bader fight healthy, whereas he was sick and injured before and almost pulled out.
    No matter who he ends up fighting, I’ll watch and cheer for the man. :)
    He’s had a hell of a career.

CinemaKingdom likes this.
  6. careto Black Belt

If dumbass Tyrell Fortune had listened to his corner, he would have defeated Linton Vassell. Then, Fortune vs Moldavsky as an interim would have made a lot of sense, but Moldovsky vs Kongo isnt intriguing, tbh.

BFoe likes this.
  7. Jewish Lightning White Belt

I agree Fedor has looked good and Bader has slown down but I also feel he looks mobile against Rampage and Johnson but it will be different with a natural 205er like Bader bouncing around in front of him and threatening with wrestling shots and sneaky overhands. Fedor would really need to have a great day at the office not to fall for one or the other. A win over Bader would be sweet but unless Fedor snipes him early he's getting wrestled, worn down and stopped and I say this as a Fedor fan from the early 2000s. I thought Johnson would fight in the clinch/on the ground more to make for a more grueling fight but Bader will certainly do it.

8. BFoe Gold Belt Platinum Member

I don’t disagree. I don’t think Kongo vs anyone is intriguing, to tell you the truth. But he’s more than deserved a shot. Poor bastard had a nice win streak, got left out of the HW GP, then never got the chance to run back his weird NC with Bader once he finally did get a title shot.
    All I was trying to do is book the messy HW title picture that Bellator has, in a sensible way. My scenario allows us to sort out the belt, get Fedor his retirement title fight, avoid Fedor stepping on Moldavsky’s toes, and get Kongo the title fight that he’s earned.

But yes, that would involve us having to watch Kongo fight for a title, that’s true. :cool:

9. BFoe Gold Belt Platinum Member

I feel you there, man. Bader is a tough fight for a 45 year old Fedor, that’s for sure. I just hope Fedor gets a good opponent that’s somewhat meaningful for his last fight, and wins (of course). We shall see.

Jewish Lightning likes this.
  10. Jewish Lightning White Belt

Word. I would love to see him win but I'm ok with him losing. It's part of the game and he wins and loses with grace. As long as he doesn't get hurt and doesn't have 2 losses to Bader I'm OK with that.

The Werdum fight probably makes the most sense with their history but that's another fight where Fedor will have to stuff takedowns and not get hit by something sneaky standing which makes for all kinds of wild shit.

JDS would be the most like the Tim Johnson fight. A big, dangerous guy who is going to be easier to predict and prepare for. There's danger here but also a good opportunity to win by KO.

Barnett fight is not bad stylistically but it's hard to rely on him after all his failures to show up.

If Fedor was trying to take easier roads then I'd be all for a fight against Tito. A proper crushing in Russia to ride off into the sunset.

And if Fedor was a chump who would want an even easier road then we can get Bigfoot in there.

11. TorontoTO Brown Belt

UFC definitely has a good amount of nepotism. Being connected with Ali gets you an easy pass into the UFC, same with gyms like City kickboxing guys getting signed

12. george14 Purple Belt

Bader will KO Fedor again, sadly. It’s a bad style matchup at this stage of Fedor’s career.

I hope to see him against a legend like Anderson or Werdum. Barnett is an asshole and has popped for roids so many times he doesn’t deserve the fight.

13. RizinSon88 She came to me with a serpent's kiss...

Fedor could win and he could lose, he is more concerned with proving something to himself than the perspective of fans who worry more about what people will say about him than Fedor does. Great fighters all want to grab the brass ring one more time in their post prime. its why in boxing it is a regular occurrence to see younger champs with a 40+ ex champ's name on their resume. Chavez Sr. Duran, Pacquiao, Klitschko, it is to a degree what makes them special, the self-belief.

He did just flatline the #2 HW or something right?

14. Yrat Yellow Card Yellow Card

You have to think about record, let me ask you this, has UFC ever signed a fighter with two losses in a row from an another promotion like Bellator.

Here are some examples about my statement

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Darragh-Kelly-281677

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Audrey-Kerouche-145255

My point is , Bellator can signs fighters that has (3-7 ) on their record, aslong as you belongs to SBG Ireland, Gracie team or Fedor team you will have benefits.

UFC have never,never,never signed a fighters with bad records or having someone with 2-3 losses in a row.

15. tehMoose The slayer of ufc shills

Yes they did, go shill for UFC in the heavies

UFC signed Song on 2 fight losing streak

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kenan-Song-181737

Also your examples are 1 guy who is undefeated as an amateur and 1 wmma fighter on 1 fight losing streak that got a fight? Prove it that this wmma chick got signed on multi deal. She's not listed on their website and not listed on wiki either. So she's not signed with them

This dude got a fight on PPV on 2 fight losing streak and a draw, total record 4-3, he was cut from Bellator but still good to fight on UFC PPVs

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Martin-Sano-72698

UFC also has signed this guy, he lost even the amateur fights, he never won a fight LOL

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Mike-Jackson-63272

and CM Punk <45>

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Phil-Brooks-184933

CinemaKingdom likes this.
  16. HaulParris Gold Belt

I agree.

17. Stan Black Belt

Fedor has 3 wins in his last 4 fights. Conor McGregor has 1 win in his last 4 fights.

Conor McGregor never earned his title shot he was gifted one.

Fedor has earned a title shot and deserves one.

18. Jewish Lightning White Belt

I agree Fedor deserves it I just don't understand the significance of a Bellator belt for a guy who was the Pride HW Champion.

There are other challenges against guys like Werdum or Anderson Silva which are much more compelling IMO.

19. SokoudjouFanboy 39 tried, just 19 succeeded

Because PRIDE was 15 years ago. To make a boxing analogy it's almost like when George Foreman came back to boxing in the 90s and got a HW belt. He wasn't the best in the world when it happened, but he still captured a championship of significance in a completely different era. That's what makes it impressive.

DesiredUserName and Stan like this.
  20. Jewish Lightning White Belt

I agree it's impressive I just can't stomach two losses to Bader on Fedor's record. I don't mind losses to an all time great or a legend but Bader will never be remembered as an all time great or a legend. Also pride being 15 years ago doesn't make it any less significant of an achievement. Being a Pride champion during that era>>> Being a champ during Stipes run when 70% of the top 10 HWs were washed up and past their prime.