Scott Coker: Bellator ‘would love to talk’ to Eddie Alvarez if able

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Bellator president Scott Coker told Luke Thomas on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour that he would be interested in chatting with Alvarez when he’s able to engage in dialogue legally. Most UFC contracts have a window after they expire giving the UFC exclusive rights to negotiate.

“I don’t think we’ve talked to Eddie, but listen, if he wants to reach out and have a conversation and he’s truly a free agent and we’re not interfering in anybody’s contract, we would love to talk to him,” Coker said. “I think the guy has done a lot of good work in building his brand here in the U.S.

“Obviously, he’s had some great fights with Michael Chandler here in the past. We want to talk to every free agent out there that’s a big star, and I think Eddie is still a big star.”

he has a few good fights left in him wherever he goes. in bellator theres the chandler rubber match, bendo, goiti and whoever they have as up and comers

Bellator president Scott Coker told Luke Thomas on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour that he would be interested in chatting with Alvarez when he’s able to engage in dialogue legally. Most UFC contracts have a window after they expire giving the UFC exclusive rights to negotiate.

“I don’t think we’ve talked to Eddie, but listen, if he wants to reach out and have a conversation and he’s truly a free agent and we’re not interfering in anybody’s contract, we would love to talk to him,” Coker said. “I think the guy has done a lot of good work in building his brand here in the U.S.

“Obviously, he’s had some great fights with Michael Chandler here in the past. We want to talk to every free agent out there that’s a big star, and I think Eddie is still a big star.”

I think I don't want to see Alvarez in Bellator again.
He was the face of Bellator for so many years...he was there non-stop. To see him there again will feel like there's no change in the landscape.

I'd like to see him in RIZIN.
Imagine this Luiz Gustavo guy being able to beat him as well and cracking into top 10 LW, young and undefeated, outside of UFC....minds will be blown.

I think I don't want to see Alvarez in Bellator again.
He was the face of Bellator for so many years...he was there non-stop. To see him there again will feel like there's no change in the landscape.

I'd like to see him in RIZIN.
Imagine this Luiz Gustavo guy being able to beat him as well and cracking into top 10 LW, young and undefeated, outside of UFC....minds will be blown.

I don’t think Rizin is in the position to outbid Bellator at this moment. So I do think Eddie will be back with Bellator soon it seems

I don’t think Rizin is in the position to outbid Bellator at this moment. So I do think Eddie will be back with Bellator soon it seems

Why, what's their financial issues?

The Chandler vs Alvarez trilogy is something that needs to happen, that’s one biggest fights bellator can make for there company

Still some good fights for him in UFC, probably fight TOny if he stays. Then you have Lee, Vick, Al, Khabib etc but chances of him making another title run are probably slim.

In Bellator its Chandler if he signs a new deal with them, if not its Primus.

Path is def easier to a title in Bellator but there's only one real interesting fight.

But its his last big contract and $ talks. He's won titles, got big payday vs Conor, fought and beat top guys, nothing left to prove. Now its about who offers him the biggest check not the biggest fight or opportunity.

I think since he lost to Dustin he'll probably go to Bellator unless UFC becomes real desperate for a fight or main event that they sign him. Sort of like what they did with Cub. Didnt look like Cub was gonna stay and then they offered him that edgar fight and got a deal done. Unless they need to fill a main event vs Tony or Dustin falls out of a fight vs Nate and Tony cant get cleared and Eddie is the guy thats only way I think he stays in UFC.

Why, what's their financial issues?

They are a growing company, Bellator with their new deal with Dazn is in a better situation right now.

Rizin usually will go for the Anthony birchak’s 15-25k per fight, Eddie is 150k and up

Alvarez has done it all in UFC already. Dethroned the LW king to win the belt, headlined with McGregor and proved to be a top LW. Wouldn't be surprised if he signed with Bellator to secure his retirement.

Alvarez vs. Chandler 3 and everyone continues to give zero fucks about Brent Primus.

They are a growing company, Bellator with their new deal with Dazn is in a better situation right now.

Rizin usually will go for the Anthony birchak’s 15-25k per fight, Eddie is 150k and up

They CAN offer more if they want to. And you know that

Would be cool to see Eddie back in Bellator.
-Chandler Trilogy
-Primus
-Benson Henderson
-Goiti Yamauchi
-Campos
-Anderson

He could resign in the UFC and fight
-Hernandez
-Iaquinta
-Vick
-Trinaldo

Seems like an alright idea given the poirier loss. SOme good fights for him to have there.

I foresee Eddie heading back to Bellator, but getting a contract that also allows him to fight in Japan. He was a beloved fighter in Dream, people there will remember his fights with Aoki and Hellboy, and if Rizin can somehow get their hands on him there is a small chance they could lure Aoki back for the rubber match...which I think a lot of people would still be interested in seeing. That fight is much different in a ring and Aoki's weird pants than in a cage. Would still like to see that fight, and it sells better now that both Aoki and Alvarez have both gone on since their last fight in Japan and have both been champs elsewhere, both in major orgs.

Last edited:
I hope they can also resign Askren, Lombard, Minakov and Brooks.

It brings some new and exciting fights.

Last edited:
Kinda hope he stays in UFC. Doesn’t really need to prove anything in either promotion but he was already in Bellator. Would rather Bellator sign someone who hasn’t already fought there.

What does "“I don’t think we’ve talked to Eddie, but..." mean? Does that mean Coker has talked to Alvarez but can't disclose it?

Judging from Dana's recent comment about Alverez being welcome to look elsewhere (which is a polite way of saying "we don't want you anymore, here's the door...") it's a foregone conclusion that Alvarez will move across to Bellator.

Back