Scotch - best bang for your buck

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Fedorgasm, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Fedorgasm Gold Belt

Below is an average rating of all the types of Scotch that had at least 10 reviews on a popular Scotch forum.

I did not create the list, but I was curious as to which one was the best bang for your buck, so I looked up the price of each one that I could find online, and then added a column for "rating points per dollar"

Now I tried really hard to post or embed a spreadsheet and either sherdog doesn't allow it or I'm too dumb to figure it out. So if you're really curious about playing with the list in excel, then I've pasted it below in CSV format so you can copy it, save as a CSV, then open it with excel and it should work right.

But if that's too much work then allow me to give you the highlights.

The highest rated Scotch is Glenfarclas 40, with a rating of 95.2. But with a near thousand-dollar price tag, it's definitely NOT the best bang for your buck.

For the highest rated reasonably priced one we go to the 6th highest rated Scotch with a 92.6 rating, which is Ardbeg Uigeadail for $60 per bottle.

The best bang for your buck goes to Famous Grouse. It has a "rating points per dollar" of 4.13. Keep in mind that it's not the best bang for your buck because it's good, but rather because it's so darn cheap. It's rated a 74.8 and yet only costs $18.

If you want the best bang for your buck but you refuse to lower your standards below a rating of 85, then you'll want to seek out Finlaggen Old Reserve and Laphroaig 10 year, for $35 and $36 respectively.

The one to avoid would be anything from Johnnie Walker. The red label received the lowest rating by far, and even as you move up to the more expensive black, double black, green, gold, and blue labels, they all consistently rate lower than other Scotches in their respective price range, and only two of them even manage to get an average rating over 80 (and it's not even the most expensive blue label, it's the green and gold label!)

Hope this helps anyone who's just getting into Scotch and doesn't want to waste money before your palette is developed.

2. HughPhug Plug Tunin'

I love Scotch, but I drink it a lot so I can't be buying the expensive stuff.
    Johnnie Walker Red and Famous Grouse are both good budget whiskys, definitely the best for value.

Do you ever drink Laphroaig or any Islay Scotches? That's one hell of an acquired taste.
    I love a peaty drink but it took me a long time to get used to that antiseptic taste off them.

Also

Can you do this all again but in £ please? You know, real money

3. IloveTHIS Humble Narcissist

It all tastes like garbage paint thinner. $5 or $500

4. IloveTHIS Humble Narcissist

have a few more shots of your paint thinner, so your muscles will relax and make it easier to penetrate you

5. PlayswellwithLawnDarts Banned Banned

Why would you want to go by someone’s else’s evaluation of spirits, TS

Lots of good Whiskey in the world find out what you like start with the Speysides and work towards the Islays.

Start watching this dudes whiskey reviews

And don’t forget it’s OK to love Bourbon also

6. PlayswellwithLawnDarts Banned Banned

Just let that guy from your Gym blow you already and leave the grown up talk to the Adults.

7. Don Hagliatelli Green Belt

This is pretty interesting.

One thing I will say is that price is often driven by hype and rarity and so can bare no relation to the quality, especially some of the more expensive stuff.

Nice to see Glenfarclas up there. I visited the distillery last week and they have sone great stuff.

Also good to see a lot of Islays on the list. I was out there for a week last November and visited everywhere apart from Coal Ila which was sadly closed. They had their whisk available at Lagavulin though.

My favourite distillery is Ardbeg. Good to see the Uigeadail up there, at that price point o think it's great value.

8. jgarner Silver Belt

Yeah I have to agree with this statement. I can generally drink most types of common liquors straight if need be, but I usually prefer to add a little soda or tonic to cut the bite. My father fucking loves drinking Scotch straight and I've tried a few glasses with him. Every single Scotch he's had me try tastes like straight up paint thinner or gasoline.

Scotch is only good to people who've burned out their taste buds.

9. Fraz WATP

My dad has a bottle of Glenfarclas 40 I'm sure. Will need to check next time I'm round there.

10. HughPhug Plug Tunin'

This could be true, I've been eating hella spicy food for years, so it's possible I don't know what I'm drinking

There isn't a liquor alive that has made me make a whisky face so far. Except some 80 proof Rum that was like drinking a throat infection in a bottle

11. TheLinguist You’ve yee’d your last haw Banned

I only drink talisker and macallan sherry cask and we scored 91

I do enjoy Japanese whiskey and some good old bourbon and rye too

12. KnightTemplar Beskar Belt Platinum Member

You're a man of wealth and taste;)

Macallan is my second favourite Whiskey after Glenfiddich:cool:

13. KnightTemplar Beskar Belt Platinum Member

<LikeReally5>

14. drstrangelov Hey.

I think some of those prices reflect out of production or limited run whiskeys that retailed cheaper when they were in production. I had a bottle of Balvenie 17 Peated cask, I got it as a gift retailing for around $140, well shy of the 500 they’re getting for it now.

Under $100, I like lagavulin 16, laphroaig 10 cask strength, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Glenlivet 18, Balvenie 17 doublewood, Talisker 18.

Best bang for your buck overall on that list I’d say is Balvenie 12 doublewood, it’s gonna seem a little one note if you have it after a 25 year old macallan, but stands alone very nicely. Good for any occasion.

I think some of the ones with unavailable prices are made for the duty free market. Those shop walls are lined with weird cask finished scotches with no age statements.

15. SammyPops Gold Belt

Japanese whiskey is intended to trick whites, as Japanese drink Canadian rye.

My fav Oban is way down that list lol.

Walker Black is really good, though its $500 CND so there's that.

16. TheLinguist You’ve yee’d your last haw Banned

[​IMG]

If so then keep on with the trickery

17. Te Huna Matata Red Belt

Highland Park 12 is my favorite. It has the right balance of peat and caramel notes. Other Islays like Ardbeg 10 or Lagavulin 16 are just too peaty for me.

18. MMA since 1993 ____________ Banned

Macallan and glenfiddich is what I drink.

My bro in law gave me a bottle of the dalmore 15 a few yrs ago, it was pretty good too.

19. Colageneration Banned Banned

Taste them for yourself. Scotch forums are full of try hard American drink elitists who think anything blended is bad by default. Hence the hate for Johnnie Walker.

Johnnie Walker have some seriously good tasting blended whiskies. Black label being a personal favourite of mine.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  20. MMA since 1993 ____________ Banned

[​IMG]

I haven't tried that one though.