Scorpion Deathlock or the Sharpshooter?

Starman

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Not sure how to turn this into a poll, so if a mod wants to help out with that it would be much appreciated.

That said, this is a pretty famous submission hold / finisher made famous by Sting and later Bret Hart. When you see/think of this move, what is it to you? Is it the Scorpion Deathlock or the Sharpshooter?

For me, it's always been and will always be the Scorpion Deathlock, for several reasons.

1.) I grew up on 80's and 90's southern wrestling (NWA/GCW/WCW), so I was watching Sting slap that hold on guys long before I had the opportunity to check out Vince's cartoon wrestlers up north.

2.) Sting not only used the hold before Bret, he was the first mainstream American wrestler to use it in the U.S. He adopted the move after seeing it used by Riki Choshu while he (Sting) was on tour there. In Japan it was called the 'Sasori-Gatame' (Scorpion Hold).

Before anyone disputes this, Bret Hart himself admits in his book that Sting used the move before him, and that he only started using it around 1991/92 when he was transitioning into singles wrestling and needed a finish. Pat Patterson suggested the Scorpion Death Lock, but Bret didn't know how to do it. After talking to a bunch of wrestlers, he finally found one (Konnan) who was able to teach him how to do it.

14044137cc37e3944fa2f28bd8dd9c14eb4ae432_00.jpg

So there it is. For me, when Bret Hart uses it, it is the Sharpshooter. In every other instance, it's the Scorpion Deathlock.

What say you, gentlemen?

I'll go for the Scorpion Deathlock as well. Reasons being I also started out as a WCW and Sting fan, and also the name sounds cooler.

Sharpshooter simply because Bret is more believable at being able to defeat opponents via submission in general.

Stinger had effective manuevers he liked to do including the scorpion deathlock, scorpion deathdrop and the splash. The scorpion deathdrop was just a reverse ddt.

Bret modified the original move.

Sharpshooter for this reason: Sting wasn't a submission guy. Bret would setup the sharpshooter by weakening the legs, whereas Sting always just seemed to "do it". Could be wrong, havent watched a lot of old Sting stuff in quite a while, but as a fan in the 80s of WCW I dont clearly remember the Stinger ever doing anything to weaken his opponents lower half to set it up. Thus, Bret's is more believable and fits his style better

It was a grapevine when Adrian Adonis used it in the Wrestling Classic, but it's a Sharpshooter to me since I grew up a WWF kid.

Just virus how does sting suck? Lol genuinely curious. I can understand not liking someone but how can you say he sucks I’m curious.

His original "surfer boy with makeup" gimmick was lame. His other gimmicks were ripped right out of movies, in the least creative way imaginable. Oh' he's staring and pointing a bat! Now he's making you cringe vomit trying to imitate Heath Ledger. The guy has only ever had like two moves, and was only somewhat entertaining when everyone had two moves. "Flair/Sting matches were great!"...no they weren't. A few cousin fucking rednecks remember them. Dude fucking sucks. Fuck Sting. Awful.

His original "surfer boy with makeup" gimmick was lame. His other gimmicks were ripped right out of movies, in the least creative way imaginable. Oh' he's staring and pointing a bat! Now he's making you cringe vomit trying to imitate Heath Ledger. The guy has only ever had like two moves, and was only somewhat entertaining when everyone had two moves. "Flair/Sting matches were great!"...no they weren't. A few cousin fucking rednecks remember them. Dude fucking sucks. Fuck Sting. Awful.
Lmao fair enough I won’t argue with you. I think many gimmicks are ripped off. I can’t speak much on the joker Sting but I’m pretty bias towards wcw sting . Love him.

Lmao fair enough I won’t argue with you. I think many gimmicks are ripped off. I can’t speak much on the joker Sting but I’m pretty bias towards wcw sting . Love him.

LOL, it's all good. My Sting hate is well documented here. He's my John Cena. Brings out my inner neck beard.

LOL, it's all good. My Sting hate is well documented here. He's my John Cena. Brings out my inner neck beard.
Haha no problem I don’t really follow wrestling anymore but I’m sure we all have those. Who of your favorite?

Back