Scoring of knockdowns: can you drop someone and only get 10-9?

Scoring is done via the ten-point must system meaning that the winner of a round must get ten points. The only instance in which there can be a 9-9 round is if a fighter wins a round but is docked a point for committing a foul of some sort.

As for a knockdown always meaning the knocked down fighter always loses the round via a 10-8 score, that's not automatically the case. There've been many cases when the dropped fighter dominates the rest of the round & the judges have only scored it a 10-9 round. In fact, it just happened in the Joseph Parker - Derrick Chisora fight in round one.
I'm pretty sure I remember Harold Ledderman scoring rounds 9-9 when he was the unofficial scorer on HBO.

Knocking a guy down and scoring that round 10-8 is one thing we don’t want to see fucked around with. The only way back is to knock the other guy down. 10-10 / 9-9 / 0-0 doesn’t really matter.

Edit: I’m drunk. Forgive me.

I'm pretty sure I remember Harold Ledderman scoring rounds 9-9 when he was the unofficial scorer on HBO.

Well, then one of the fighters had to have been docked a point for some reason because that's the only possible way in which there can be a 9-9 round. The rules are quite clear on that. That's why it's called the ten-point must system.

Well, then one of the fighters had to have been docked a point for some reason because that's the only possible way in which there can be a 9-9 round. The rules are quite clear on that. That's why it's called the ten-point must system.
I think I actually did see Brian Kenney wrongly score a round 9-9 once, actually.

The only way to have a 9-9 is with a point deduction (foul). Its the 10 point must system. Someone has to get 10 points.
The second part of your statement contradicts the first part. If someone has to get 10 points how is a 9-9 score possible?

The second part of your statement contradicts the first part. If someone has to get 10 points how is a 9-9 score possible?
Because point deductions aren't the norm, its a penalty.

Not sure how. The rules are the rules. You don't lose a point if you "got hurt".

I've explained the rules to you twice, with quotes, & you've ignored them because "it feels unfair" due to some bullshit logic you've come up with regarding knockdowns happening in the last part of a round.

I've explained the rules to you twice, with quotes, & you've ignored them because "it feels unfair" due to some bullshit logic you've come up with regarding knockdowns happening in the last part of a round.
I don't recall that. What am I saying that you think is wrong? There is no rule about losing points for "getting hurt."

Back