Scoring of knockdowns: can you drop someone and only get 10-9?

TankAbbott4Eva

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Ok so generally in boxing I find it's fairly simple, you knock someone down they lose a point, so if you win the round and knock them down it's 10-8 to you, knock them down twice it's a 10-7 etc.

What about if you otherwise lose a round but manage to knock them down, how should it be scored? For me I'd say logically it's a 10-9 to the guy who got the knock down, but I'm honestly not sure.

FWIW I'm sure this would differ from commission to commission and even country to country, just interested in people's thoughts on this.

Judges do it once in a while. I don't like it. I don't like the "fight back from the KD" BS. You got knocked down, you lost a point.

Judges do it once in a while. I don't like it. I don't like the "fight back from the KD" BS. You got knocked down, you lost a point.
I think you can fight back from a kd, altho it shouldn't be easy. If a guy gets dropped but then spends the next 2mins kicking the shit out of his opponent and doesn't drop him but hurts him and has him in trouble for most of the rest of the rd then I could easily give a it a 10-9 to the guy who got the kd instead of a 10-8. It's all about how much damage they put in surrounding the kd in question.

I think you can fight back from a kd, altho it shouldn't be easy. If a guy gets dropped but then spends the next 2mins kicking the shit out of his opponent and doesn't drop him but hurts him and has him in trouble for most of the rest of the rd then I could easily give a it a 10-9 to the guy who got the kd instead of a 10-8. It's all about how much damage they put in surrounding the kd in question.
Especially if it was a flash knockdown

I don't like it because its not possible at all points in the round. IF you get knocked down in the last 10 seconds, you can't fight back from it.

Yeah you lose a point, but if you win the round in every other fashion convincingly, you've just lost the point, so it'll be 10-9

Not a fan of this idea. Boxing is also about not getting floored. Leave the puncher a chance to win on the cards.

It's stupid because if you get knocked down, even in the first minute of a fight, by this logic its

10 9

Because someone has been knocked down, lost a point, but the round hasnt been decided yet, so then if someone fights back and starts to look in control and dominate last 2 minutes after they were knocked down, enough so that a judge decides they have fought the round back from a knocked down, the round becomes

9 9

Which is the same as 10 10! Ew!

There's 4 criteria, there HAS to be a winner of a round, and as far as I'm concerned, even if both fighters score a KD, there should be a winner because someone won the other parts of the rnd. Judges coming up with reasons to have draw rounds is pretty retarded

Yeah you lose a point, but if you win the round in every other fashion convincingly, you've just lost the point, so it'll be 10-9
In that case wouldn't it be 9-9? You have both lost a point in the round.

In that case wouldn't it be 9-9? You have both lost a point in the round.
Scoring is done via the ten-point must system meaning that the winner of a round must get ten points. The only instance in which there can be a 9-9 round is if a fighter wins a round but is docked a point for committing a foul of some sort.

As for a knockdown always meaning the knocked down fighter always loses the round via a 10-8 score, that's not automatically the case. There've been many cases when the dropped fighter dominates the rest of the round & the judges have only scored it a 10-9 round. In fact, it just happened in the Joseph Parker - Derrick Chisora fight in round one.

I am not against it. There is nothing in any scoring manual insisting that a knockdown is an automatic 10-8 round.

Duane Ford said:
If Fighter A is winning the round and scores a knockdown and continues to win the round after the knockdown, then Fighter A is awarded the round 10-8. However, if Fighter A is winning the round and gets knocked down by Fighter B, then Fighter B is awarded the round 10-9. The key is: Which fighter won the round without the knockdown? Thus, most fans and TV commentators are incorrect in automatically scoring a 10-8 round for a fighter who scores a knock down without taking into consideration who won the round without the knock down.

^ The quote's from his ABC certification manual for new judges. The dudes upthread going "oh but what if it's a knockdown in the last ten seconds, this isn't fair 'cos you can't claw it back" have a... frankly fucking bizarre opinion on this.

It has to be like this, otherwise there's too much of a swing. "Beat someone all over the ring for 2:57 of the round, walk into a jab & get sat on your arse? Then you lose the round by two points" is as fucking stupid as it gets & like morons who refuse to have drawn rounds, leads to bizarre & out-there scorecards that do not reflec the reality of the fight.

See also: 10-8 rounds w/o a knockdown, which are also perfectly acceptable.

This whole "No 10-8 w/o a kd/ALL kds scored 10-8" thing is a laughable attempt to prevent judging abuse by incompetents, which like all blanket one-size fits all things in the real world, create more problems than they solve ('cos what you should do is... not employ incompetents, not fuck up the nuances of a system that works).

I don't like it because its not possible at all points in the round. IF you get knocked down in the last 10 seconds, you can't fight back from it.

If you get hurt but don't go down later in the round you can't fight back from it. If this changes who you'd give the round to because the round was basically even, then do you not score that, either?

If you get hurt but don't go down later in the round you can't fight back from it. If this changes who you'd give the round to because the round was basically even, then do you not score that, either?
You can though. There's no rule about losing a point for getting hurt, there's a rule for losing a point for a KD.

By that logic the round should be scored 10-10 then.

10-9 for winning the round
-1 point for losing the knockdown, making it 9-9
modified to 10-10 because of the 10 point MUST system.

Scoring is done via the ten-point must system meaning that the winner of a round must get ten points. The only instance in which there can be a 9-9 round is if a fighter wins a round but is docked a point for committing a foul of some sort.

As for a knockdown always meaning the knocked down fighter always loses the round via a 10-8 score, that's not automatically the case. There've been many cases when the dropped fighter dominates the rest of the round & the judges have only scored it a 10-9 round. In fact, it just happened in the Joseph Parker - Derrick Chisora fight in round one.
Ok this makes sense and I vaguely remember this explanation in previous thread exactly same as this one.

Really shows how misunderstood boxing scoring really is amongst general public

You can though. There's no rule about losing a point for getting hurt, there's a rule for losing a point for a KD.

You are confuzzled.

Duane Ford's ABC judging manual said:
The key is: Which fighter won the round without the knockdown? Thus, most fans and TV commentators are incorrect in automatically scoring a 10-8 round for a fighter who scores a knock down without taking into consideration who won the round without the knock down.

Furthermore: a round's dead even, someone lands a significant punch in the last three seconds. By your logic, then that shot doesn't count, because the other dude doesn't have time to fight back from it.

Back