[SCORE THE FIGHT] Julio Cesar Chavez v Frankie Randall

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
I'm going to start these threads off now and again, and they wont be related to recent fights, but will be threads about fights that were either close, had a big impact on the fight scene, or had controversial decisions, and i hope that it will keep to the fight in topic, and also, be round specific where relevant.

I'd like to see some other members of this forum score this fight round by round, i had Randall ahead at the end 115-10, and i have comments to each round, but i would be interested in seeing how other people may have scored the fight.

So i guess everyone is really busy..or something

Here goes:

RD1

Hard to score round, Randall had the better work but Chavez landed the harder shots, gave it to Chavez for the harder shots but it could have gone either way.
10-9 Chavez

RD2
Randall outboxed Chavez for most of this round, but nearly threw it away late in the round when he started taking some hard shots, did enough early on to take the round for me.
10-9 Randall
(19-19 even)

RD3
Chavez seemed to take this round off, took a few good shots and didnt look comfortable with one of the bodyshots he took.
10-9 Randall
(29-28 Randall)

RD4
Chavez realises he is in a fight and lands some hard hard shots this round, Randall tried his best to fight back but couldnt stop the Mexican, Randall holds his arms aloft at the end of the round, clearly knowing he lost the round, but maybe it was more that he had taken Chavez best shots and wasnt fazed.
10-9 Chavez
(38-38 even)

RD5
Chavez landing the harder blows but being outworked by Randall, looks like he is going for big single shots to try and wear Randall out, i gave this to Randall for his workrate.
10-9 Randall
(48-47 Randall)

RD6
Randall clearly outworked Chavez in this round, Chavez was looking to land one big shot and looked relieved when a break to fix tape on his gloves arrived, Randall starting to look like he know she can win this.
10-9 Randall
(58-56 Randall)

RD7
Chaves dominates this round and tries his best to get Randall out of there in the first half of the round,looks like he realised this could be a long night, but all of his hard work goes to waste as he is deducted a point for a low blow, it seemed a harsh deduction.
9-9
(67-65 Randall)

RD8
Randall starts to move forwards and peppers Chavez with shots from all angles, Chavez is throwing big solid shots to try and slow Randall down, Chavez is starting to show signs of tiredness.
10-9 Randall
(77-74 Randall)

RD9
Scrappy round in which Chavez clearly landed the harder better shots, Randall countered once or twice crisply, but not enough to win the round for me.
10-9 Chavez
(86-84 Randall)

RD10
This was possibly the hardest round to score for me, and it could have swung a lot of cards, i gave it to Randall as he landed some crisp counters, but Chavez also landed some hard shots....i gave it to Randall.
10-9 Randall
(96-93 Randall)

RD11
The only thing i had written down for this round was "Point deduction for a low blow….knockdown", the round speaks for itself.
10-7 Randall
(106-100 Randall)

RD12
Randall didnt even try and fight, he got caught with a few shots but nothing that really hurt him, a clear Chavez round.
10-9 Chavez
(115-110 Randall)

Conclusion
I felt that Chavez thought early on this would be an easy win, and was surprised in a few rounds when his hard shots didnt have the impact he thought they would, and started getting desperate towards the end(which led to some of the low blows). He(Chavez) looked pretty out of shape at time in the fight to me, and although my card was wide, there were a few early rounds(1 and 5 for me) you could have scored for Chavez if you favour harder punches, and then the swing round in the 10th.

Official Scores
Chavarria 114-133 Chavez
Giampa 116-111 Randall
Guzman 114-113 Randall

I'll watch it tonight and score it.

So i guess everyone is really busy..or something

Here goes:

RD1

Hard to score round, Randall had the better work but Chavez landed the harder shots, gave it to Chavez for the harder shots but it could have gone either way.
10-9 Chavez

RD2
Randall outboxed Chavez for most of this round, but nearly threw it away late in the round when he started taking some hard shots, did enough early on to take the round for me.
10-9 Randall
(19-19 even)

RD3
Chavez seemed to take this round off, took a few good shots and didnt look comfortable with one of the bodyshots he took.
10-9 Randall
(29-28 Randall)

RD4
Chavez realises he is in a fight and lands some hard hard shots this round, Randall tried his best to fight back but couldnt stop the Mexican, Randall holds his arms aloft at the end of the round, clearly knowing he lost the round, but maybe it was more that he had taken Chavez best shots and wasnt fazed.
10-9 Chavez
(38-38 even)

RD5
Chavez landing the harder blows but being outworked by Randall, looks like he is going for big single shots to try and wear Randall out, i gave this to Randall for his workrate.
10-9 Randall
(48-47 Randall)

RD6
Randall clearly outworked Chavez in this round, Chavez was looking to land one big shot and looked relieved when a break to fix tape on his gloves arrived, Randall starting to look like he know she can win this.
10-9 Randall
(58-56 Randall)

RD7
Chaves dominates this round and tries his best to get Randall out of there in the first half of the round,looks like he realised this could be a long night, but all of his hard work goes to waste as he is deducted a point for a low blow, it seemed a harsh deduction.
9-9
(67-65 Randall)

RD8
Randall starts to move forwards and peppers Chavez with shots from all angles, Chavez is throwing big solid shots to try and slow Randall down, Chavez is starting to show signs of tiredness.
10-9 Randall
(77-74 Randall)

RD9
Scrappy round in which Chavez clearly landed the harder better shots, Randall countered once or twice crisply, but not enough to win the round for me.
10-9 Chavez
(86-84 Randall)

RD10
This was possibly the hardest round to score for me, and it could have swung a lot of cards, i gave it to Randall as he landed some crisp counters, but Chavez also landed some hard shots....i gave it to Randall.
10-9 Randall
(96-93 Randall)

RD11
The only thing i had written down for this round was "Point deduction for a low blow….knockdown", the round speaks for itself.
10-7 Randall
(106-100 Randall)

RD12
Randall didnt even try and fight, he got caught with a few shots but nothing that really hurt him, a clear Chavez round.
10-9 Chavez
(115-110 Randall)

Conclusion
I felt that Chavez thought early on this would be an easy win, and was surprised in a few rounds when his hard shots didnt have the impact he thought they would, and started getting desperate towards the end(which led to some of the low blows). He(Chavez) looked pretty out of shape at time in the fight to me, and although my card was wide, there were a few early rounds(1 and 5 for me) you could have scored for Chavez if you favour harder punches, and then the swing round in the 10th.

Official Scores
Chavarria 114-133 Chavez
Giampa 116-111 Randall
Guzman 114-113 Randall

Will watch and post.good thread idea I thought I was the only one who does this time and again

Julio is one of my two fav fighters of all time (the other being Roberto Duran) and although I haven't watched this fight in many years (at least 10-12) I do remember scoring it with a wide margin for Randall, may have been just as you had it (115-110). Julio just didn't have it that night and Frankie was the perfect guy in the right time/place to end his unbeaten streak (although I had Whitaker winning by a similar margin when he fought Julio).

Like the thread idea. Would be nice to do this on the regular.

Would likely help if you posted the fight.

Rd1- 10-9 Randall. Easy round to score.
Rd2- Again, all Randall, 10-9 Outlanded chavez like 5-1. 20-18 Randall
Rd3- Gave it to Randall. Chavez not doing shit. (30-27Randall)
Rd4- Chavez wakes up and wins a round. (39-37Randall)
Rd5- This was a tough one to score. I went with the guy landing the bigger punches, Chavez. Randall landed a lot too though. (48-47 Randall)
Rd6-Another hard round to score. I gave it to Randall but almost had Chavez stealing it late.(58-56 Randall)
Rd7- Gave this to Chavez. The commentators liked Randall in this one but I thought Chavez landed the better punches. 9-9 round with the deduction though. 67-65 Randall
Rd8- Randall tee'd off on Chavez in this one. Easy to score (77-74 Randall)
Rd9- All Randall. Not close. (87-83 Randall)
Rd10- Gave it to Chavez. Pretty close round. (96-93 Randall)
Rd11- Disastrous round for Chavez, KD and a point deduction (106-100 Randall)
Rd12- Gave it to Chavez. 115-110 Randall

Last edited:
I like these kind of threads but I'm skipping this particular fight. Keep it up, gents.

1 Randall
JCC seemed like he was just figuring him out
Randall landed better exchanges

2 Randall
jcc brings the pace and workmate went up, but taking two to land one in most exchanges. Randall throwing some great hook and uppercut combinations.
jcc slick as hell with his movement to close the distance

Rd 3 Randall again
Jcc looks either tired or confused or frustrated

Rd 4 randall
Jcc trying to hook around the arms to the body but Randall is backing up with jabs and changing his level. Good defense so far. Chavez starting to land heavily towards the middle of the round.
Randall rallying back from a few good shots in the end, tough one to call.

Rd 5 Chavez
Randall trying to clinch a lot now, Chavez starting to make him fight his fight.

Rd 6 Chavez
Tough one to call. What a fight! Randall landing two shots for every one from Chavez, but doing less damage it seems. If Chavez picks it up, Randall will run out of steam eventually and it won’t be good.

R7 Randall
Close again

R8 Randall
Randall clinching for a breath after getting swarmed early. Now he has Chavez on the ropes lol
Randall doing real good now finding rhythm
Seems like he has a pattern of clinch early in the round and from the middle on - turn up activity. It’s been like that since rd 5

R9 Chavez
He’s waking up more and Randall isn’t as active countering this round

R10 Randall
Feels like Chavez is always in range of Randalls punches. Can’t imagine how he felt himself lol.
Seems like Randall knows he’s ahead and is starting to get a little loose with his movement. I bet he jogged miles and miles for this fight camp. He’s had bounce in his step this entire fight.

R11 Randall
Sucks Chavez just lost a point. This was a round he kicked into 6th gear. Seems like he just realized he could possibly lose. And BOOM with the knockdown!!!

R12 Randall

Good fight. Never seen it before. Watched it on mute. Didn't know the result before tuning in. Didn't read other's scores before doing my own either.

Good thread idea as well.

First..this fight was action packed but I was really impressed with Randall..this fight reminder alot of Sugar Ray Leonard vs Hagler..the fierce combos from Randall firing back in the pocket reminders me of Leonard especially the jab work and Chavez pressure and power was Hagler..anyhow here's my scorecard..

Round 1 - Randall
Outworked Chavez good jab work

Round 2. Chavez
Good pressure and bodywork

Round 3 - Randall
Randall controlled range and outworked the stationary Chavez

Round 4 - Chavez
Chavez best round hurts Randall..mounts big attack

Round 5 - randall
Disciplined round from Randall good jab work and out working a chasing Chavez

Round 6 -randall
What a round !!!!best round of the fight Randall landing multiple combo shots , good push back by Chavez but too little too late for me

Round 7 - Chavez
Chavez batters a seemingly tiring Randall not much from Randall in this round..weak jab work

Round 8 -- Randall's round
Randall looks refreshed landing at will in the pocket with multiple punches. Chavez looking for Hard bodyshots that aren't there and paying for them with several counter shots from randall

Round 9 - Randall
Outlanding and outworked Chavez

Round 10 - Randall
Randall landing 2 shots for Chavez's 1 ..just being busier and controlling range

Round 11- Randall
Point deduction for foul plus knockdown for Randall 10 - 7 round

Round 12 - Randall
Excellent footwork and jab work to close out a spirited mostly one sided fight

Total

117 - 109 Randall defeats Chavez handing Chavez his first lost with little doubt in my mind..not sure how this ended up a spilt..

Thanks for the post looking forward to more chances to score and post.

Last edited:
Back