Score One for the Good Guys

Madmick said:
They don't even teach Latin in Cali. My mom had all that Latin because she grew up in Tennessee, and my dad knows some because he knows quite a bit about nearly everything, and I never had to study it, supposedly because it isn't "useful", you know, being a "dead" language and all.

Personally, at this point in my life, I think it would have been more useful to me to have taken it instead of Spanish, and I live in California.

whaaaa? speaking spanish has been extremely helpful for me up in washington.

rickdog said:
This story does warm my heart. I don't know wether you meant to, but calling him Brain was a quite funny too.

I noticed that as well and had to start laughing out loud.

Haha good feckin story. Reminds me of my experiences at college, since people see a man as small as myself lifting more than them or i have that vaunted mysterious six pack they must ask me for advice. So far about 3 people have actually followed through with the routines i have given them, basic powerlifting stuff and they all say how much stronger they feel, and they look a hell of a lot better than the inflated body part splitting buffoons in the gym.

THEN.... i have the guys who are like "help me get my arms bigger...blah blah" im like, do some fuckin rows and weighted chins ........ " but what about bicep curls, preacher curls ..etc" ...... Its like they want my advice just to contradict me and continue with their own bullshit. Then it always seems they want to test me in strength feats and i beat them.... and theyre like wtf i weigh 100lbs more than you. Long story short, most people are morons and unwilling to change.

To all of you guys who enjoyed the story, I'm glad I could make your holiday season a bit brighter. Ghostwipe, if you're in the need of some cheering up, there's always New Years! I hope you have a good one.

As far as the Latin tangent is concerned, I want you to know, Madmick, that I forgive you for giving up on my defense. Since I'm technically being attacked in my role as a Latin student, I don't consider the Clandestine Pact of Eternal English Major Solidarity breached. It's all gravy.

But I also want you suckers to understand that I've never regretted taking Latin. A lot of people call it useless, though, and dead, but no other discipline in my academic career (not even my English classes) has enhanced my understand of English more thoroughly. I might be more ingnorant of Spanish or French or German cultures than the average, Non-Latin taking high school graduate, but I feel like I understand my own--the vocabulary and mechanics of its language, some of its philosophical traditions, and the history of its laws and arts--more intimately than someone who didn't spend time looking at the Classical world. More recently, I've become kind of enamoured of the Anglo-Saxon and Danish influences on our language, but I think I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the massive legions of pretentious, mutlisyllabic words that Rome passed down to us.

Ummmm... actually I think I'm just going to nip that rant in the bud and apologize for getting all worked up there over English. I don't want to put you guys through that--I just love words. I'm sure some of you empathize. The rest of you should be thankful; you'll probably get more women in the long run.

Anyways, to sum it up: LATIN RULZ!

PS: Latin geeks can like Hulk, too, jerk!

I tried taking Latin in High School but it all just looked like chemistry to me.

Thanks for the story Hulk. Since your an English major you should turn it into an article or short story.

i had a slight erection after reading that story. Now if onlt i could do the same at my work...too bad i work at a damn gym. Id be doing this shit all day!

PariahCarey said:
I tried taking Latin in High School but it all just looked like chemistry to me.

Thanks for the story Hulk. Since your an English major you should turn it into an article or short story.

Same happened here, both Latin and Chemistry were easy, but I chose chem.

Back