Score One for the Good Guys

HULKAMANIA

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Today, I won another small victory in the long war against metrosexual gyms. Here's the thrilling recount:

Whenever I'm in town for on break, I pick up shifts at a local coffee shop where I used to work full time (I love me some coffee for real). So, I've been working down there for the past week or so of Christmas vacation. Today I wasn't actually making drinks, I was digging postholes (I love me some posthole diggers for real, too) for a fence we're going to install around the parking lot.

The boss sent a fellow employee named Brian out there to dig with me. Now, I like Brian, but he's dumb as hell. He wrestled and played football in high school so he's not small, but recently he's really taken to weightlifting. Today he decided to tell me all about it. I heard horrible, horrible things come out of that mouth; let me tell you.

Brain told me that he squats in a smith machine so that he'll have correct form; he told me that he performs all his lifts at 15 reps for "definition"; he told me that he avoids deadlifting because he "doesn't want to look like a powerlifter"; he gave me little glimpses of his routine--glimpses which involved treadmills, calf raises, and the good old "chest/arm/back/shoulders/leg" split. When my bullshit tolerance level hit critical mass, I leveled with him.

I told him that he and his trainer knew precisely jack shit about working out, that he took a homoerotic approach to weightlifting, and that he would lift mediocre weights for the next few years until he became so discouraged that his initial, meager gains had tapered off that he would finally quit. He seemed to take some issue with my assessment so I decided to attempt to persuade him. I told him that I could beat him in any test of strength he could come up with. After all, he'd been lifting for longer than I have. He played sports in high school. I played video games and studied Latin. It seemed like we should be fairly comparable in the strength department.

First, we decided to see who could throw a hunk of concrete the farthest. I chose one from the ditch out behind the shop. After I threw it, he went to retrieve it and struggled to bring it to his chest. He accused me of "picking a heavy one." He managed to throw it almost half the distance of my original throw, but he blamed that on technique so I gave him a second throw. The second toss fell just a bit shy of his first one and he cried foul. I told him to try again. That time, he tried some strange, spinning technique and managed to improve a half a foot or so on his original throw. Out of breath and defeated, he conceded, "Well, you have stronger arms than I do." I couldn't take that shit lying down.

I told him to follow me as I walked back across the parking lot into the store room at the rear of the shop. When we were inside, I grabbed one of the 150 pound sacks that we get our coffee beans shipped in. Then, I cleaned it and pressed it overhead. Brian cursed. The he got pissed and tried to do it himself. Well, whether because of his untrained grip or his undertrained lower back, he could barely budge it from the ground. After what seemed like an eternity of straining, he stormed up to the front of the shop. Later, he started asking me how to weight train.

Now, I know a 150 pound C&P isn't anything to be proud of, but I felt like I had triumphed over the insanity that is gym culture. And, even if it was a small win, it was a win. Basically, I had to share it with someone, and you guys are the only audience that I could think of who might appreciate it. This board is also the only reason I'm not still wallowing in abject weakness and misinformation like my poor comrade Brian is.

I love this thread.

First, congrats of crushing the young lad's dreams of supremacy. Better he learn it now than years later.

HULKAMANIA said:
I played video games and studied Latin. It seemed like we should be fairly comparable in the strength department.

You have a hulamania avatar and you studied Latin? I'd hate to doubt you but pondering this duality is too much for me... :)

English majors can love Hulk, too, Datadog. Are we not men? If you prick us, do we not bleed?

Not only did I study Latin, but I fucking excelled at that shit.

<--- Tennessee Junior Classical League state champion for 3 years in a row, motherfruckaz (Yes, there is such a thing as Junior Classical League. Yes, I did spend 24 hours every week attending study sessions for it IN THE SUMMER). By the way, Ohio beat my certamen team out by 20 points in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS! I still haven't really forgiven your state for that. Actually, I still haven't forgiven myself for that. I just project it onto your state.

I think the Hulkster made me retreat into academia anyway. When I was young, I wanted to be a wrestler. When the Hulk went NWO, a part of my soul died and I gave up those dreams forever. It was a dark but formative time in my early childhood.

lol, that was a great story. I like how your shift turned into a strongman competition. I would've love to see the expression on your boss' face when he looked outside and saw you throwing a hunk of concrete. "God Damnit whats Hulk up to now!"

Madmick said:
English majors can love Hulk, too, Datadog. Are we not men? If you prick us, do we not bleed?

Amen!

PariahCarey said:
lol, that was a great story. I like how your shift turned into a strongman competition. I would've love to see the expression on your boss' face when he looked outside and saw you throwing a hunk of concrete. "God Damnit whats Hulk up to now!"

Hahahaha

When the boss isn't around, we used to have milk gallon throwing contests with all of the spolied stock, too. There's something beautiful about a full gallon of milk exploding against a tree.

God bless you, Hulkamania. That was my only heartwarming story this Christmas.

Madmick said:

Yes, English majors can love the Hulk, however there is a solid law prohibiting Latin gurus from being hulkamaniacs. Sorry, it's just the natural order.

datadog said:
Yes, English majors can love the Hulk, however there is a solid law prohibiting Latin gurus from being hulkamaniacs. Sorry, it's just the natural order.

I beg to differ; Rennaisance men are way better than big strong stupid fucks.

datadog said:
Fair enough.

Hulk, this is where I leave you. Be brave, my friend.

Nice story! great to hear it coming from a fellow language major!

holiday tales like this warm my heart.

ghostwipe said:
I beg to differ; Rennaisance men are way better than big strong stupid fucks.

I was really hoping that I didn't have to put the smiley face at the end to alert folks that this was just teasing...

However, shouldn't a true Rennaisance man also be big and strong? Perfection in mind and body... [not that I have either]

HULKAMANIA said:
This board is also the only reason I'm not still wallowing in abject weakness and misinformation like my poor comrade Brian is.

Me too...beautiful story

This story does warm my heart. I don't know wether you meant to, but calling him Brain was a quite funny too.

datadog said:
shouldn't a true Rennaisance man also be big and strong? Perfection in mind and body... [not that I have either]

Yes.

I wouldn't have bothered posting it if I had only wanted to claim that smart weak guys are better than strong stupid guys. Especially on a strength training forum...

They don't even teach Latin in Cali. My mom had all that Latin because she grew up in Tennessee, and my dad knows some because he knows quite a bit about nearly everything, and I never had to study it, supposedly because it isn't "useful", you know, being a "dead" language and all.

Personally, at this point in my life, I think it would have been more useful to me to have taken it instead of Spanish, and I live in California.

Maybe it isn't so in red bluff, but here we speak as much spanish as english. as such I can only communicate with half the local population.

Back