Scissor Takedown to Effective Leg Lock

chliu1109

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you guys misses it, recently, we had the pleasure of interviewing Sambo Steve Koepfer on Submission Control. He clarified Sambo for us BJJers. I am a 10+ BJJ practitioner and was never really interested in leg locks, but meeting Steve opened my eyes to whole new game. Yes, some of his moves are illegal in IBJJF… but winning tournaments is not the end all and be all in BJJ.
Interview With Stephen Koepfer | Submission Control

Also, checkout his detailed explanation of the scissor sweep takedown and this crazy (and simple) leg lock half way through the video.
Stephen Koepfer’s Takedown To Leglock | Submission Control

Don’t forget to enter our WIN A GI OR CASH CONTEST.
Submission Control Contest: Win a FREE Gi or $100.00 | Submission Control

Last edited:
That link doesn't appear to work from either here at work or my remote machine at home...actually I cant even get submissioncontrol.com to load either.

That link doesn't appear to work from either here at work or my remote machine at home...actually I cant even get submissioncontrol.com to load either.

Loads fine for me, maybe they were down for a while, or something's up with your stuff.

Weird, works now.

Will check out that article!

Thanks for the kind words!

Damit, very nice vid, very good explanations. Too bad I'm not around.

When teaching this move once (and the defenses), my instructor told me about a time he was training with GSP, and he went for the scissor takedown, and GSP did a backflip out of it. He then told us not to try that escape.

Definitely a fun move to have in the arsenal, just have to be careful in training.

(for the record, not all bjj schools train with ibjjf rules in the gym, in fact in my experience most places don't)

Back