Scissor sweep question

Macho__Man

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After you perform a scissor sweep should you try and go for mount or stick to side control?

Personally i think it depends on what position your more comfortable with at the moment. If you have trouble controlling mount then maybe side control is something you feel more comfortable with. I assume your a white belt, so if you are having trouble with one of these positions then work on it during class during open roll. As far as competitions go you should go into the mount if you wanna score the most points. Work on controlling the mount hard...its a great position to have once you learn to control it.

May depend on how your opponent reacts or bases, generally side mount or mount is fine with the occasional armbar.

i'd go side control, and try and trap his oppersite arm and then slide over and transition into an arm triangle on his far side..... just worked the sequence in class today and i rolling it worked a treat, the arm's just gotta be trapped quickly afer the sweep.

May depend on how your opponent reacts or bases

Agreed. One of the guys on my team is a really solid wrestler which means he's a scramble machine. When I hit a scissor sweep on him, it's always ending up in side control. Against other players, I almost always go to mount if the sweep is successful. Against him, I'm lucky if I can get a solid side control out of it. When his back hits the mat, he's like a freaking spring and just pops up.

This is only in Gi, too. In No-Gi, I can't ever get a scissor sweep on him. He scrambles out and at best for me we wind up back to a neutral position.

I usually go for mount.... but then, like many have mentioned...depends on how your opponent reacts. Most of the time it'll turn into a scramble if you aren't quick enough on getting the position after you sweep him.

I tend to go to side control because the better guys won't give you mount. If I can get it I will mount but mainly side.

i try to get mount since mount is my favorite position, but theres a purple belt that heel hooks me every time. so when i roll with him i go to side control.

Back