***Scientists of Sherdog - explain why Space prioritized over Ocean Exploration?***

You say 'we' like the government would create a portal and every person would go live in the land of Narnia happily ever after, the truth is humans are expendable and we ain't worth anything, even if a meteor was heading toward earth. 90% would die because the worlds elite wouldn't care enough to create protection for us lol

Also Earth is the most unique planet in our solar system, it's amazing, it can harber life, it has an ozone layer to protect from radiation, oxygen, water, grows natural foods and evolves by itself. Earth is awesome and there is no reason to ever leave it or even think about leaving it, no other known planet can do what ours does.

It's dirty humans that ruin this perfect world.
Of course the elites don't give a shit about most of us. This isn't about class warfare, but the continuation of humanity. Even if we figured out ways for interstellar colonization, an extremely tiny percentage of the population will actually leave earth. Earth will be here a billion years from now. It has survive cataclysmic events that wiped out countless species. I'm not so sure about humanity surviving the same. Earth will not always remain habitable. The only way to ensure the survival of mankind is to spread ourselves out.

It's simple. Cats don't like water.

space-cat-min.jpg

ok, why?

you're just sharing your desire, but not really a scientific reason
Cataclysmic natural disasters, asteroid impact and deadly diseases are bane to the existence of humanity. Our extinction is guaranteed unless we colonize space. It's only a matter of time before the next extinction event.

So much of our ocean remains unexplored, but we at least know there is life here.

What are the scientific reasons that space exploration is prioritized, and the obsession with colonizing mars over creating the possibility to live in the ocean?
Here is my broad take on it. It's like living in a house and never going into the crawlspace. You have an idea what's down there but it doesn't intrigue you as much as the invitation to go see the (unseen) mansion next door. Now obviously that's a very limited view on it. My point, I guess, is that it's more intriguing to view something infinite than it is to see something finite. Sure, we've only explored 5% of the ocean, but we tend to think there are a lot of similarities (cool stuff to be found however) but not as cool as what's floating in space. The idea that space is out there and certainly less obtainable I think creates more intrigue than something we are sitting on top of.

Then of course there are maybe other practical reasons as well. Maybe also a perception of less opportunity and value if you focus on the ocean vs space.

IDK you guys can grill me if you want but i'm just throwing my 2 cents out there.

The potential to carve up a planet is much higher than that of our own ocean.

Profit over everything else first.

And that is the truth, we aren’t looking for answers or life forms unless we can make a profit from it.

That is the truth

Cataclysmic natural disasters, asteroid impact and deadly diseases are bane to the existence of humanity. Our extinction is guaranteed unless we colonize space. It's only a matter of time before the next extinction event.
Extinction event more likely to happen in inhospitable places

Extinction event more likely to happen in inhospitable places
Perhaps, but all our eggs won't be in one basket. What makes better survival odds for humanity? Concentrated in one place when extinction level event happens, or spread out in various locations in the solar system or milky way?

The big void is where our future inevitably lies. The ocean is really interesting and can help us answer questions about our past, and how to help future generations make the Earth a more sustainable environment -- but we're not moving to the ocean one day. If we don't kill ourselves before the sun consumes the Earth, the oceans will boil away and then we'll have to go to space to find a new home. If we start investing in space research and exploration now, we'll have either terraformed something or found a new home to live in. And they'll probably have some cool oceans to explore there, too. And then maybe one day, on that distant planet in the future, a guy will log onto the internet and make a post on a forum asking why people care so much about space when we could be exploring these cool oceans we don't really know much about. And then maybe a guy will point to the big expanding ball of fire in the sky and remind them that we need to escape that thing one day.

Also, space is really interesting and looks cooler

I give you

Why are you worried about the sun consuming the earth and annihilating all life when white people are selling burritos and Tilda Swinton is playing an Asian character? Eye on the ball, people.

No. If aliens are coming for us a little outpost on Mars won't do shit.

Honestly the biggest proof of intelligent life out there is the fact they never tried to contact us..

I'm curious what leads you to think Mars is of some use to us in the case of an emergency? Where have you got this idea from?

Humanity will never, ever move to another planet, it's inconceivable but by the ridiculous stretch that it was made possible given the 0.0000000000000001% chance all the worlds leaders came together to spend 10000000000000000000 sextillion dollars and created technology that doesn't exist in a time frame of 100 years compressed into 10 years.

Even at that unbelievably unrealistic notion they would only ever send the Earths finest 0.1%, the brightest, most intelligent humans on this voyage. Whatever came of the earth would be the end for 99.99% of humanity.

So the notion of Mars ever being some saving grace is utterly and entirely ridiculous to say the very least.

Private individuals are already intending to spend their money doing such things. It won't cost as much as you imagine. Reusable rockets are reducing the cost (the greatest cost is escaping the gravity well) and a space elevator will further reduce drastically. Space X etc are all about this.

We already went to the moon just 50yrs after the birth of powered flight.

There will be enough genetic diversity, in eggs and sperm if need be and the sum of human knowledge will be safe.

The point is, is that it is a life raft, for humanity, not all, most or even many humans. It's the difference between the darkness forever and a glimmer of light.

Private individuals are already intending to spend their money doing such things. It won't cost as much as you imagine. Reusable rockets are reducing the cost (the greatest cost is escaping the gravity well) and a space elevator will further reduce drastically. Space X etc are all about this.

We already went to the moon just 50yrs after the birth of powered flight.

There will be enough genetic diversity, in eggs and sperm if need be and the sum of human knowledge will be safe.

The point is, is that it is a life raft, for humanity, not all, most or even many humans. It's the difference between the darkness forever and a glimmer of light.

from what you are saying people aspire to go to space because it's an emotional ambitious thing

maybe i'm not articulating it right, what's the scientific probability of setting up the human race to be more capable of surviving on another planet vs. surviving in our oceans if some catastrophic event were to happen

Mars is of value because it gives us another chance of earth is wiped out by an asteroid or like catastrophe.

The ocean obviously doesn't. You might say the second place for subterranean existence. It's just not relevant.

Also one cannot verify the existence of life beyond our earth from under our oceans.

While i agree in part that yes, if earth is wiped out then Mars or any space colony gives mankind a chance to survive, the odds of a true planet ending event are small compared to a Extinction level or Apocalypse event that might wipe out all or substantial all surface life on earth but all allow a deep sea colony to survive.

In the more likely event like we have seen in the past (asteroid, volcano, maybe even solar flair),life would have a chance to return to the surface of the earth once things settle down and a deep sea colony would be the much more achievable way.

I think we have the technology now to make that happen whereas Mars or other (which should be pursued as well) could take a millennium or more for us to achieve.

TS fix your Subject line. I got all excited as it looks like you are saying that you have an article where scientists explain and that is something i have wanted to see for a while.

I post all the time on this forum that I think we should be focusing on building a multi decade type self sustaining city habitat in the deep ocean, powered off the Deep Thermal vents free and endless (?) energy source.

Something like this picture provided upthread or even better a relocatable and movable station, should it need to move, would be best.

atlantis2.png

Learning to deal with the massive pressures at deep ocean depth would benefit the space program as well.

@90 50, a deep ocean, self sustaining colony would also give us that beach head to survive a apocalyptic type event (asteroid strike, massive volcano eruption, nuclear winter) and to be able to repopulate the planet once it subsides. This habitat would survive the oceans freezing over and zero sunlight. As long as they have supplies and can farm the deep ocean for additional resources. Only a true planet ending event would not be survived.

Besides the energy we get from Deep Ocean vents

giphy.gif

If they can advance this, we are golden

Sustainable Energy
Salty Solution for Energy Generation
stacked-logo-v2.svg

The difference in salinity between freshwater and saltwater holds promise as a large source of renewable energy. ...

Back