Scientists create a 'SUPERNOVA' in the lab

BringCodyBack

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Scientists create a 'SUPERNOVA' in the lab: Beams 60,000 billion times more powerful than a laser pointer cause mini explosion

Damn. Crazy what smart people can do. Also crazy that the experiment basically consisted of making a piece of metal REALLY hot.

And the lead author is hot:

article-2646072-1E67CD8B00000578-232_634x403.jpg

I don't know about the subject, but how similar is this to nuclear fusion? is this a similar reaction? I wonder how this could be used in alternative process to generate electricity.

"Oops we created a black hole... Sorry everyone."

Cool stuff TS.

Have you seen (I think it was a Nova Special or PBS special) on scientists goal to test things as they push towards Absolute Zero cold?

it is fascinating stuff as the rules that we know completely break down and new molecules are formed.

Oh I think I found it but I do not have the time to watch and verify.

Damn. Crazy what smart people can do. Also crazy that the experiment basically consisted of making a piece of metal REALLY hot.

And the lead author is hot:

article-2646072-1E67CD8B00000578-232_634x403.jpg

hot damn!

I don't know about the subject, but how similar is this to nuclear fusion? is this a similar reaction? I wonder how this could be used in alternative process to generate electricity.

In a basic description using my somewhat limited knowledge on the subject (I like reading/watching videos about it, but I don't know the science):

A supernova is to controlled nuclear fusion (like a healthy star) as a nuclear bomb is to current nuclear fission power.

Nuclear fusion is the goal that should be sought. This mini supernova science is more just trying to understand how a supernova works and how they help to seed the universe with the base elements of everything.

Nuclear fusion is what is occurring in every "healthy" star at this very moment, including the sun.

Hydrogen > helium > so on, so forth.

Supernovas occur when the outward pressure of constant nuclear explosions finally beat out the gravitational pressure from all of a star's collective mass.

Nuclear fusion is what is occurring in every "healthy" star at this very moment, including the sun.

Hydrogen > helium > so on, so forth.

Supernovas occur when the outward pressure of constant nuclear explosions finally beat out the gravitational pressure from all of a star's collective mass.

The other way around, actually. Supernova's are what happens when fusion slows and the star collapses in on itself, which ends up resulting in a massive reactionary shockwave.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_collapse

Improbable we are still standing. What a bunch of jokers. They just angled three mirrors got blinded and thought they achieved something. :icon_chee

Interesting, but I wish scientists would stop doing shit like this without anyone's knowledge or consent. That LHC team that were creating the mini black holes are a prime example. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to try to create stellar events here on Earth, when scientists straight up admit they have no idea what might happen. That's the height of arrogance and ignorance, and seems dangerous.

I might be wrong, but as far as i can understand, they didn't actually create a supernova in a lab. They just made an experiment that proves some physical phenomenons in a supernova.

Interesting, but I wish scientists would stop doing shit like this without anyone's knowledge or consent. That LHC team that were creating the mini black holes are a prime example. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to try to create stellar events here on Earth, when scientists straight up admit they have no idea what might happen. That's the height of arrogance and ignorance, and seems dangerous.

I'm with you. They need to take that stuff to Mars.

I hate myself for not dedicating the time, the resources or simply not being smart enough to understand how such experiments work, how the universe works, how one can apply the knowledge for the benefit of mankind.

Back