School shooter stopped by good guy with a gun, Dixon IL

How would any of these proposals do anything to stop a bad guy that already has a gun?

We have readily available repeating firearms still in circulation that date all the way back to the Civil War. Even if you pass the most stringent background checks and gun bans, we're still at least a hundred years away from any serious decrease in the supply of arms and ammunition in this country. The laws you're wanting to propose will do nothing to address our problem in the here and now. The only thing that the laws you wish to propose will solve, is easing the anxieties of the overly anxious and/or vindictive.

Adding a a new law and restriction isn't going to fix the problem of evil in our time.

It's been proven time and time again, and no one has yet to disprove this Axiom:

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."

What could have possibly stopped the Dixon IL shooter, other than another armed individual?

Certainly steps can be taken to increase school security AND try and prevent bad guys from getting their hands on guns before they shoot up a school. It's not a zero sum game.

awesome

we had an Armed MP on grounds at our school, what do you know, we had like zero fights and certainly no gun stuff

then again you're subject to search and seizure at any time on a military base, so perhaps we were all just bootlickers....or are parents actually gave a shit. I don't know

It would have to depend upon the individual teacher.

Some individuals will be able to handle the responsibility with no issues, some simply will not. What the solution surely isn't, is to treat all teachers like some amorphis Borg-like hive mind where every single individual is only capable of one set of skills.

Recipe for disaster.

We cant even get the resource officer thing right. At least that is a workable solution.

IIRC you don't trust the govt to do anything but you think they can tangle through the HR mess of teachers and pick and choose which ones are going to be able to have loaded gun in the classroom?

What could go wrong.......

Certainly steps can be taken to increase school security AND try and prevent bad guys from getting their hands on guns before they shoot up a school. It's not a zero sum game.

Perhaps, but that in no way answers my question.

Recipe for disaster.

We cant even get the resource officer thing right. At least that is a workable solution.

IIRC you don't trust the govt to do anything but you think they can tangle through the HR mess of teachers and pick and choose which ones are going to be able to have loaded gun in the classroom?

What could go wrong.......
I'm sorry, but the argument "people aren't perfect" isn't a good enough reason.

good stuff... better than that SRO at parkland..

I'm sorry, but the argument "people aren't perfect" isn't a good enough reason.

That’s not the argument at all.

The argument is that the government is not going to be able to take a workforce that is not trained for a very dangerous and specific task (the use of deadly force for security) and somehow reliably pick and choose the “right” ones.

Speak of the devil.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/1...ey-interstate-multiple-injuries-reported.html

At least two people were killed and more than 40 were injured in New Jersey on Thursday after a school bus and dump truck collided on an interstate, leaving a mangled wreck in the middle of the highway, officials said.

What if the bus driver is at fault? :eek:

1526596106343.jpg

Sad country when you need armed people watching your schools like Boko Haram is going to swing by. Some 3rd world shit.

I believe arming teachers is where you will get push back. Arming resource officers or police is fine with just about everyone
I know for a fact there were more than a few folks in this forum who were arguing against the idea that a police officer with a gun will stop shootings--I remember specifically debating people who defended the officer who did not engage the Parkland shooter on the grounds that the shooter had a bigger gun. Of course, this was at the height of the "ban the AR-15" hysteria.

But I do recall people trying to link the "AR-15 > pistol" argument to be proof against the idea that more guns (even in the hands of police) means safer schools. Maybe not EXACTLY the same as being against police presence, but it's the same logic, and it wasn't only about teachers.

Back