School Reviews & Recommendations in SoCal

spyu

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm obviously new to this site and am looking for some advice. My background is Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, and Freestyle Wrestling(20yrs). I'm looking to build up my BJJ experience and knowledge while maintaining my striking skills.

I moved to the Southbay area(Torrance, CA) recently and am looking for a new MMA gym to train at. One that focuses on BJJ and submission wrestling, and if it had a Muay Thai program that would be a plus. I've looked online and found a bunch of names, but would like to know what people had to say about them or their own experiences. It would be appreciated if you could comment on any of the following good, bad, indifferent or if you know of any other gyms in the area that provide good instruction and training.
Here are some that I found:

R1 Gym (formerly RAW) El Segundo

Gracie Barra El Segundo

Aloisio Silva BJJ Lomita/Lawndale

Brazilian Top Team Long Beach

Neutral Grounds Long Beach

Legends MMA Hollywood

HB Ultimate Training Huntington Beach

Rey Diogo BJJ

Cacique BJJ Carson

Chute Boxe Long Beach

Combat Submission Wrestling(Erik Paulson) Fullerton

If you are looking for BJJ, I highly recommend my coach Rey Diogo. He's amazing and you will love the environment there.

If you are looking for MMA and BJJ/submission wrestling, please check us out at VMAT: VMat Gym

The MMA classes are taught by Vladimir Matyushenko.

I teach the BJJ and submission wrestling classes.

It's a great place to train and you get a lot of personal attention.

Stop by anytime.

Also, you really should try all of the schools at least once to see which you like the best. Dont rush into anything. :)

I agree - take your time & try a variety of schools.

My friend trained at Vlady's gym for a couple of years & really enjoyed it.

HB Ultimate in Huntington Beach has an awesome new facility, but the drive from South Bay area to HB is gonna get old quick...

Also - DO NOT underestimate the Clogged Arteries of So Cal Traffic.

Fullerton may not look too far from Torrance on a map, but it will be 35 minutes on the weekend & close to 2 hours 1-way around 5:00 in the afternoon.

You're gonna have trouble getting to Hollywood as well...

If you want to spend more time training & less time driving, find something close.

Caique is a really good gym.

Edit: I think Nino Schembri has a new gym in Manhattan beach

And This
Also - DO NOT underestimate the Clogged Arteries of So Cal Traffic.

Fullerton may not look too far from Torrance on a map, but it will be 35 minutes on the weekend & close to 2 hours 1-way around 5:00 in the afternoon.

You're gonna have trouble getting to Hollywood as well...

If you want to spend more time training & less time driving, find something close.

i train at redondo beach Machado and im positive that we have the best bjj academy in south bay. if your looking for mma than thats another story but we have a few guys who fight mma. come check it out

Thanks guys for the responses. I will definitely check it out. Yeah I was thinking the same thing I don't want to be driving too far. I would say my northern limit is Redondo Beach/El Segundo area and southern limit is Long Beach.

Anyone know anything about the Aloisio Silva BJJ place? That's actually the closest one to me. It's just 3 mi. down the street so it just takes me like 5 min. to get there.

Sounds like you are close to Nino Schembri's school. It is off aviation and manhattan i believe

Before he opened up his school, i had the honor of training with him almost daily. Him and Alexandre Novaes were teaching at my school (GB Culver City) prior to that. Learned a lot from him!

If its just pure BJJ this is a good option. I think they also have some crossfit going there too.

His website seems down, but here is the blog link:

Rock & Roll

Yeah, South Bay? I was going to say, "step outside, pick up rock, throw rock, apologize to the BJJ black belt you just hit with rock, train with him."

Chute Boxe Long Beach has a solid MMA program,BJJ from Macaco Gold Team-Brazil with Robson Rodrigues -1st degree black belt,And Muay Thai/MMA with Gerson Schilipacke- Chute Boxe BRazil original coach over 16 years in train with Chute Boxe team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back