School Review NJ: East Brunswick BJJ (WARNING)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by xMikeyX, Oct 5, 2010.

1. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

I was recommended this school by someone on the bus who I met commuting who is a Renzo Gracie BB. The school was clean, the location was down the block from where I work. Everyone in the school was friendly. They had a structured curriculum- they trained hard and trained well.

I cannot recommend this school. I recently signed a contract with them and within the contract it said that you may cancel the contract within 3 days for any reason by bringing a letter to the school canceling the contract. I made the choice to cancel the contract based on other factors (work schedule and injury).

I canceled the contract within 2 days of the date on the contract by bringing a letter to the school (I even missed a preseason Giants football game to do so - the ticket to that game cost more than a few months at the school). My father in law now thinks less of me but I ensured him I was avoiding the frustration of having a school try and rape me with a contract...

I then received a letter in the mail the next week from the Educational Funding Company (an invoice) notifying me that I would be charged. I called the EFC and they listened to my story and did nothing. They told me I would have to fax them this and that and contact the school owner. I followed the contract and canceled as is explicitly stated in the contract

I called the school owner (Hazem Ibrahim) and told him about this and he called me back the next day and gave me his word that he would take care of the matter and I would not be charged. He did this on Rosh Hashanah and I answered the call during a family dinner just to be certain that I would be done with this inconvenience.

I was still charged. Hazem has not called me back for almost a month. I have been calling the school almost daily and leaving messages, and visiting the school to settle this matter. He is never at the school when I have visited on multiple occasions. For the past week the answering machine has picked up before the phone has rang. The last that I heard he was in vacation in the Dominican Republic.

At this point I am upset and frustrated with this school. I have contacted friends (who are lawyers) and I am in the process of contacting the attorney general about this school (and the EFC).

PS- I am not a vindictive person and I am hoping to finalize this thread with Hazem keeping his word and doing the right thing but at this point I am making no assumptions about someone I have not met, have spoken to on the phone with once, and who has given me his word. I also cannot recommend a school that operates in this manner or with customer service that is lacking.

Brunswick Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

I understand your frustration, but I would have left this off the net personally.

3. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

The instruction at the school was very good and everyone there was nice. But I still bounced checks because of their promise. I understand you're a school owner- how would you remedy this situation if you were in this position?

PS- In the past schools have pulled many schemes with me which have benefited them financially.

4. randomguy

randomguy Black Belt

^ or review the school in Bushido or something

5. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

Personally I would honor my contract, but I don't use a billing company. Even though I have contracts it is all done between my staffer and the student. Im not in the business of screwing people, so I would definately honor the contract.

Maybe it is time to show it to a lawyer, if the school owner can't comprimise. We have all been on the end of bounced checks and it plain sucks. Best of luck bro.

6. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

Yea- the worst part about this whole situation is this:

1. I liked the school immensely.

2. Everyone I dealt with there was nice to me and extremely helpful.

3. I want to be able to train there in the future when my work schedule/their schedule changes and my injuries heal (if they ever do).

I just didn't know where to turn to. After my last school fucked me when I moved to NJ I figured I'd be good- but for now I will honestly and patiently wait for a resolution and share it with you guys.

As for the person saying to post in bullshido- why? That's like yahoo telling someone to search on google. Bullshido requires you to sign up and I'm already signed up here.

7. randomguy

randomguy Black Belt

I only said that because gym reviews isn't usually done here, especially when there is a dispute of some kind, posting it on here will not really get you anywhere.

8. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

I had problems with the educational funding company that a lot of academies use to outsource their billing. If you want things fixed youre going to have to go through the instructor.

9. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

Did your issue ever get resolved?

10. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

I hate efc.

11. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

Is it possible he's still on vacation?

12. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

Two things, you were probably hasty in signing a contract if you no longer desired said contract 24-48 hours later. I wouldn't sign anything unless I am sure that I want to be in a contract with said individual. The 3 day cancellation policy is nice in this case, but apparently it does not gaurantee ease...*shrugs*. And not everyone offers something like that...some folks will fight you tooth an nail the second your signature is on the line. Be careful is all I am saying really.

Secondly, EFC is horrible. One of my instructors used them when he arrived in the US, and soon cancelled their services. I think the appeal is that EFC is an all-in-one stop that handles automated billing and debt recovery. Yes, they have their own call-center that will harass students to no end about late tuitions. I have automatic debit, and they still called me a few times. In which I would tell them, "If you want your money you must debit it from the account I gave, isn't that what you should do first, you know...before you start calling me? "

Said instructor switched to a new company and was happy with their service from what I gathered.

13. Eduardo78

Eduardo78 White Belt

Take them to small claims court. No lawyer required, but be sure to have ALL documentation and evidence that there was a failure to honor a contractual termination clause.

14. irc

irc Brown Belt

The easy and fast way to resolve this is to notify your bank that the charge to your account is unauthorized, which it is. This should take care of it. Your bank will issue you a credit, and the problem will then become one between Educational Funding and the bank.

I can tell you from personal experience than Educational Funding is borderline shady as it is. Also, the school employee/owner who deals with billing issues probably doesn't know what they are doing or how to work with Educational Funding.

Just do what I said and report it to your bank - end of problem.

And you absolutely should be posting about this type of thing here.

15. Eduardo78

Eduardo78 White Belt

These guys seem to be the lowest of the low. I typed in EFC and complaints into Google and you get plenty of similar cases.

Google

16. Number1Wrestler**

Number1Wrestler** Green Belt

I've never heard of that school and I live in NJ, but I feel like I've heard of the owner before...

17. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

For some reason, I laughed at this line quite a bit! I doubt this guy even realized that the day on which he was calling was special. Anyway, sorry for your troubles...I also recommend doing the whole stop-payment thing with the bank.

18. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

i don't understand why you signed the contract in the first place, did your work schedule change in the 2 days since signing and deciding to cancel?

19. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I have heard terrible things about the Educational Funding Company.

In fact, one of our students moved to VA from Renzo's in NY and wanted to start training with us. One of the first questions he asked was whether we used EFC bc he refused to sign up if we did.

20. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

He's not kidding. EFC is the absolute worst.