School me on these GLORY 17/LMS fighters

I'll be rooting for Stoica just to shut this fucking forum up already (but also Levin).

Yeah let's hope Stoica wins the tournament, one of the most exciting up and coming fighters.

I wonder if Manhoef is going to have trouble with the frame of the fighters. All the fighters except Marcus are between 6'2 and 6'4 and Manhoef is like 5'8.

I wonder if Manhoef is going to have trouble with the frame of the fighters. All the fighters except Marcus are between 6'2 and 6'4 and Manhoef is like 5'8.

yeah so? nothing new here for manhoef, he's pretty much always the smaller guy

he'll have more trouble because he slowed down considerably and seems to be gassing out quicker

yeah so? nothing new here for manhoef, he's pretty much always the smaller guy

he'll have more trouble because he slowed down considerably and seems to be gassing out quicker

He normally is fighting people that are taller because they fight at LHW or HW, but their style isn't based on fighting tall. Yet every fighter except Marcus and Manhoef are pretty tall for their weight class, and their style is more based on fighter as a taller man, if you know what i mean.
Tyrone Spong for example is 6'2, but since he is a light heavyweight/heavyweight his style is not based on fighting rangy, but Wayne Barrett is of similar height(probably a bit taller but whatevs), but since he is a middleweight he is tall and lanky for his weight class and his style is based on being rangy.

He might not get knocked out in the first round when he gets Verlinden as his first oppenent.

Maybe but he is the most exciting fighter with Manhoef of this line up.

true

being knocked out is just as exciting as knocking people out :rolleyes:

being serious: what warrants him even being in the 8 men tourney? he is on a two fight losing streak and his last fight was a disgrace to the audience......even the referee helped him and he still couldn't pull anything off

his best win is an over the hill zeyada who lost 10 0f his last 12 fights before facing stoica

there is absolutely nothing that warrants stoica's entering in the tourney........glory are just putting him in there because he'll attract his local fanbase

true

being knocked out is just as exciting as knocking people out :rolleyes:

being serious: what warrants him even being in the 8 men tourney? he is on a two fight losing streak and his last fight was a disgrace to the audience......even the referee helped him and he still couldn't pull anything off

his best win is an over the hill zeyada who lost 10 0f his last 12 fights before facing stoica

there is absolutely nothing that warrants stoica's entering in the tourney........glory are just putting him in there because he'll attract his local fanbase

They put him in because he has a big future ahead of him. The American audience will love him.

They put him in because he has a big future ahead of him. The American audience will love him.

you serious?

have you even seen this?

he really just quit and seemed like he didn't even wanted to be there.......a disgrace to the audience who paid to seem him fight:

[YT]watch?v=UekTJ6WhEUM[/YT]

I don't believe B. Stoica deserved to be in this tourney at this time. But this doesn't means he is trash as most of you here act. He is a very young fighter that has talent and is fun to watch. Yes, he has performed badly lately and will most likely lose in the first fight here but the important thing is he is out of SK and can get proper experience against GOOD opponents. He is no killer right now, couldn't possibly be, but i bet you that soon enough he will be good enough for such a tourney with decent chances at winning it.

The same can be said about his brother. They clearly have talent, they lack fights against quality fighters. A. Stoica's fight against Illunga was a HUGE jump for him from the usual SK opposition but i'm sure he learned important things in that fight.

Conclusion: do they suck atm against top Glory fighters? Definitely. Do they have talent and potential to improve to some day be contenders? I believe so. What is certain is that they are fun to watch, no matter if they deliver or receive the KO.

So please, cut the guys some slack, they are young and they just stepped into the big guys playground. You could at least give them a few fights before you start shitting all over them. Thank you.

Great post. Shane trains with Team Oyama. He's very tough, recently beat Malaipet.

Gabe Varga fought for a promotion I used to work with a few times. Extremely technical, fantastic footwork- but not very heavy handed. He wins by accumulation of damage/points- not really a KO guy. Very elusive. He got robbed in a tourney last time he was in NY and hasn't come back since (understandably).

Wayne Barrett has fought for me in the past as well. Very heavy handed, long reach. His boxing background shows- he throws kicks, but his hands are really what to watch for. Gas tank could use some work though- he was running Shilling out of the ring when they fought before he started to tire.

Interesting that you don't favor Simon. Agreed his style isn't best for these rules, funny- I've just never seen him lose or anything close to it.

Hollenbeck is a former gymnastics guy, which I think gives him so much of his power in the clinch- great balance, really strong core. Not going to be able to use nearly as much of that with these rules though!

Simon Marcus:

My fellow Canadian. An undefeated Nak Muay from Toronto Canada. A good clincher, with wins over three other quarter finalists Levin, Schilling, and Verlinden aswell as Glory new comer and prospect Israel Adesanya. However these are under FTR(Full Thai Rules) which most casuals don't understand is different in it's rule set, it's training and it's approach to fighting than Glory. I actually wouldn't favour him at all in this tournament.

Wayne Barrett:

IMO one of the two to three favorites I have to win the tournament. Good Boxer, but can't only be defined as that. He's been training in Karate, Boxing and MT for a long time. He knows how to throw knees and kicks. Mixes the disciplines quite well and is a technical fighter. Don't let his lack of experience fool you. He may only have 4 fights in total but mark my words, he's going to the final.

Filip Verlinden:

A solid fighter, who has competed in three different Glory divisions. Used to fight HW and LHW and really has only lost to the best of those respective divisions. He's lighter at this weight class and therefore faster and personally I'd say he's found his true home here. While I wouldn't favor him to win, I also wouldn't count him out entirely.

Bogdan Stoica:

Younger brother of Andrei Stoica. Don't know a whole lot about this guy, but he's made a name for himself fighting what most would consider lesser competition in a lesser organization. 2012 I believe he was in a motorcycle accident which hurt his back. Hasn't been the same ever since. I'd say he doesn't make it past the quarter final.

Alex Perreira:

Another former Boxer, who I'm personally excited by. Again, he also knows how to do everything well, so don't think he's a limited striker. He won the contender tournament at Glory 14 to qualify for this tournament. The shame about that tournament was that he wasn't given the opportunity to avenge one of his few losses to Jason Wilnis from the last It's Showtime event back in Brazil. Depending on who he's matched against I could see him making it into the Semis, but against guys like Barrett, Levin, even Verlinden I wouldn't give him much of a chance.

Ky Hollenbeck:

Training partner and friend of Joe Schilling. He's really more of a Muay Thai fighter than pure kickboxer I'd say. He's done reasonably well in Glory so far, having been a quarter finalist in Glory's first Lightweight tournament back in 2012, meeting the champion Giorgio Petrosyan. Unfortunately he had a knee injury in the second round and couldn't continue. But since his return has beaten the likes of Albert Kraus and Warren Stevelmans. He's a big underdog against his opponent Andy Ristie, the man who beat Petro for the first time in like 6 years.

Yodkhunpon Sitmonchai:

Can't really say I know much of anything about this guy. But what I do know is that he's ofcourse a Muay Thai fighter fighting out of Sitmonchai gym, which means he's not afraid to punch. So he's not a typical Thai as he's not much of a clincher and fights alot more at distance. I'd say his fight with Varga is going to be a good one.

Shane Oblonsky:

This guy has a hard life. If you care to read his story it's on Glory's website under his profile. Basically he's been on his own since 12 and training in Boxing since 14 and then later Kickboxing. I've never seen him fight, but he sounds like a good prospect to me. I'd say, despite never having seen him fight, he will beat Torres. Torres isn't that great of a striker. I personally think he's going to meet Varga in the final.

Gabriel Varga:

My other fellow Canadian. I have high hopes for this guy. He competed in Glory 8 Japans 8 man Featherweight tournament and did reasonably well against both of his opponents, having lost to the tournament winner Yuta Kubo. His fight with Kubo was a good fight, and personally was a close one. I don't know how he'll do against Yodkhunpun, but I'd expect he'll outwork him given Yod's last performance under Glory's rules.

Back