Schilling: "I'm sorry I allowed Barrett's ego to get even bigger"

JustinvR

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Joe Schilling talks about Barret's comments about the Dutch style of kickboxing and talks about their fight:

"I would say I am more of a speed guy than anything. The fight we had was one of the worst performances of my career and so if you based your opinion on that maybe you would say I was a power guy,” he says.

"I was looking for that one big shot because early in the fight I saw a giant hole in his defense and really went chasing after that. And I got frustrated with him running away.

"I bought into a lot of the talk that went on before the fight so I was expecting him to actually fight me.

“The sparring partners I had for that fight had been putting it on me, in preparation for what I expected from Barrett. But instead he was literally running away from me and avoiding the exchanges.

"I got frustrated and lost my cool. I went to shit for two rounds and got sloppy. I kind of got it back together for the final round. I was awful but I still managed to drop him and break his nose.

"So I guess if you were assessing me based on that fight alone you could say I was a power fighter or not very intelligent. But I disagree with Wayne’s statement.

"In fact I generally disagree with about 90 per cent of what Wayne Barrett says. His ability to say arrogant s--t and still be perceived as humble is absolutely astonishing to me.

"Some of the things he came out with in his latest interview were astronomically stupid. To talk about the Dutch kickboxing style and actually bring Ramon Dekkers’ name into it, and say the things he said…

"Did he really compare Artem Levin to Ricky Hatton and himself to Floyd f--king Mayweather, is that what he did?

“Wayne, I am really sorry that I had such a terrible performance and allowed your ego to get even larger but please try to remember you have only had four professional fights.”

Several weeks out from the biggest tournament of the year, Schilling says he is not going to be drawn into the same kind of exchanges that preceded his fight with Barrett last year.

“In the last fight I got into all the back and forth banter and got into a certain mindset but this time I am not at all concerned with what Wayne Barrett thinks about…hmm… anything, really,” he says.

“I don’t believe Wayne Barrett beat me and is a better fighter. My performance was more detrimental to me in that fight than his performance was effective, if you know what I mean.

"I am not worried about what anyone thinks, only about being the best Joe Schilling I can be on June 21. The only person who can beat me is myself. That’s the only person who has ever beat me in a fight.”

Link to the full article:
http://www.gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/540

Is Joe reaching out for the support of Sherdog lol!?
although i disagree with what Barret said, Joe is a fine one to talk about arrogance!!

Schilling is training hard for this event. He's up from 2 packs a day, to 3 packs a day!

Schilling is training hard for this event. He's up from 2 packs a day, to 3 packs a day!

Lol!

Saw a docu about him and 2 other mt fighters from the USA. Seems he likes to smoke a few. I don't understand that.

Lol!

Saw a docu about him and 2 other mt fighters from the USA. Seems he likes to smoke a few. I don't understand that.

He also suffers from bronchitis according to him when he was talking about his fight with Levin. Very dumb to be a smoker period, but a professional athlete with lung problems? Talk about being "astronomically stupid".

Joe had a moment against Barrett, it's true, but his excuses for losing are such garbage. He might not be complete garbage as a fighter, hes shown to be able to do damage in certain cases, but he's not as good as he's making himself out to be. He did manage to drop both Levin and Barrett, but he lost to both of them(the Levin win is such bullshit, you all know that) and he won't be able to repeat his success against either of them the second time around, if he ever gets the chance.

Joe had a moment against Barrett, it's true, but his excuses for losing are such garbage. He might not be complete garbage as a fighter, hes shown to be able to do damage in certain cases, but he's not as good as he's making himself out to be. He did manage to drop both Levin and Barrett, but he lost to both of them(the Levin win is such bullshit, you all know that) and he won't be able to repeat his success against either of them the second time around, if he ever gets the chance.
I thought it was a pretty fair analysis on why he lost more so than an excuse. He seems to be acting a lil less of a jack ass as apposed to a few years ago.

Stupid as hell to smoke cigs period, let alone as a fighter.

actually he gave up smoking a few months back and has been running a lot; he's been running with nick diaz among others and apparently his fitness is going through the roof

Back