Schaub, Jon Anik and Florian go at it regarding fighter pay on podcast

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by wowspare, Aug 18, 2015.

1. wowspare

wowspare Brown Belt

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/18/9170185/anik-schaub-debate-ufc-fighter-salary-revenue-share

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, the big sports leagues such as the NBA or the NFL pay their athletes about 40~45% of the revenue. I'd be surprised if the UFC were paying their athletes anything more than 20%.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/8/4503598/examining-dana-whites-ufc-pay-claims-mls-comparisons

In fact according to this article from 2013 the UFC paid the fighters only about 9.5~17%.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  2. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

anik making the ufc look like saints.

I agree with Schaub that a backroom bonus isn't a good (consistent) source of income. I'd be scared to make my money from mostly bonuses depending on how i fight

edit: also it would be interesting if they were public just to see the numbers

3. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

Apparently "I love the UFC" = "I love bitching about the UFC non stop"

I thought Brendan is doing well selling T shirts. Why so bitter and butthurt?

Tim Kennedy, Brendan Schaub...all these people bitching about the Reebok sponsorship always fail to mention that NOBODY is stopping them from getting extra sponsors. The UFC literally only requires them to wear Reebok like what, 6 days out of every year? For crying out loud, quit whining and go get as many sponsors as you want for the rest of the year. Ronda Rousey gets apparel sponsors, game sponsors, fast food sponsors, movie deals, said some shit about DNB on a video and next thing you know she's sold 40,000 DNB T-shirts....

If a butterfaced 135 lbs chick with extreme BO can do it, why can't Brendan Schaub? Why can't Tim Kennedy? These whiners need to stop blaming the UFC and Reebok for your own incompetence and do something for themselves. You don't see Ronda Rousey sitting on her ass bitching about the state of WMMA and how it's not even in the UFC in 2011. Don't bitch about the environment, CHANGE the environment. Tim Kenney is supposed to be some special forces badass yet in reality he's mentally weaker than a chick with daddy issues. Weak.

4. kikikhan

kikikhan Banned Banned

I can't believe I'm saying this AGAIN. But I'm with Schaub on this one.

Private company? WTF is that sh*t?

How do they pay taxes if no one knows what they make?

5. livebreathebjj

livebreathebjj White Belt

with all do respect.. minimum wage is 7.25 where i am right now, imagine if the decreased that 75% to 1.81 an hour ... thats the percentages were talking here with these guys ... what if you got paid 75% ... you wouldnt be on the internet talking sweet nothings lol all i gotta say man were not decreasing our lifespans 20 years to then get huge paycut . I think top 25 figters should have been able to opt out of the sponsor deal imo cuz they are the ones getting hurt

6. Moezao

Moezao Brown Belt

The thing about the Reebok deal is change. They simply changed how things worked and fuck the fighters. If it was always like that, there would be no reason to complain.

And you have to admit that as a company there's much less interest in sponsoring a fighter if you can't have your brand on him in the moment they have the most exposure, fight day (and weigh in).

Are you really comparing Ronda's possibilities with Schaub's? Ronda is a dominant champion in her division, Schaub is a (retired?) Lower tier fighter.

7. thelegend2

thelegend2 Purple Belt

IRS knows, and has already looked into the ufc.

i don't believe the ufc pays out even close to 30% revenue simply because they don't have to.

shaub makes good points, but anik comes off as an employee trying to talk good about his employer.

also this is prize fighting, its the top guys who bring in money that deserve the largest share. If anyone is, they are the ones screwed the most by the ufc if they underpay guys at all since they have the most to gain or lose otherwise,imo.

8. nick1990

nick1990 Purple Belt

Got to side with Schaub on this, the back room bonus line seems to get wheeled out every time there is an argument about fighters pay and its bullshit.

If the UFC were really that generous and nice they would up fighters pay across the board, Anik going overdrive crazy shill in this conversation.

9. Hard Charger

Hard Charger Black Belt

"But one thing that people fail to sort of inject to the conversation is that Zuffa got this company out of bankruptcy not that long ago. It was in 2001. There has been a build up to this point is in time. Now (they're doing) 45 shows, they have 600 fighters. You have to look at where this sport is, relative to it's own history, and relative of the century long histories of these other sports... I do think we are moving into the right direction..."

That's a pathetic excuse. It was relevant in 2006 and 2007, it's not relevant in 2015, not when you have the president of the company bragging about how much money he makes while shitting on his employees. You don't see that anywhere in other sports.

Then again, you don't see other sports put their president front and center on TV shows as if he's the face of the sport.

10. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

I like the bonus method of payment for fighters. I'd like to see pay raised across the board, but the performance bonus model is better for prize fighting as it encourages performance.

11. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

That's the logic you are not following. If companies are no longer willing to sponsor fighters because they have to wear Reebok during 6 out of 365 days a year, then that means the companies do not see actual value in the fighters, but rather in their exposure on the UFC platform. They are basically putting the sponsorship logos on the UFC, not the fighters as an individuals. As such, the UFC is 100% within their rights to control the sponsor revenue however they see fit.

In other words, Brendan Schaub doesn't get paid enough because he's not good enough, and isn't marketable enough. Which part of that is the UFC and Reebok's fault? It's very typical of the weak and the feeble to blame others for their own failures.

You look at where Rousey is now but what you don't see is how much of a worse spot she was in compared to Schaub she started MMA. She was a completely nobody dating some drug addict, didn't have any Kimborized TUF exposure, WMMA wasn't even in the UFC. But you didn't see her sitting on her ass going "waaah waaah waaah! Dana White said no women in the UFC I can't make money this is so unfair I feel so undervalued waaaaaaah!" But this is exactly what Schaub and Tim Kennedy are doing. Kennedy is supposed to be a badass special forces dude yet he's even weaker mentally than Ronda Rousey. Ronda Rousey - the chick that if you called her fat she'll be crying for 2 weeks before making a "I'm not fat I'm festively plum F the haters" T-shirt to make herself feel better. Think about how pathetic that makes Tim Kennedy for a second.

12. kikikhan

kikikhan Banned Banned

I allways hated kissas*es. Anik is a kissas*.

I respect Schaub for speaking up.

13. VulcanNervPinch

VulcanNervPinch Gold Belt

14. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

They're not having a discussion about the opportunities a UFC fighter gets when on TV, but the compensation relative to revenue when compared to other leagues. NBA has plenty of unknown players, but they get a base salary and benefits that make it a great job opportunity in itself, without having to sell yourself to make more than a janitor makes per year. They're basically talking about unionizing, since it makes no sense for the UFC to suddenly give in 20-30% more of its revenue to fighters. Hence, what Anik says is bullshit (he has to say it).

15. jcc3508

jcc3508 Black Belt

It is still not a sport. Laughable that you get paid due to your appeal to the masses rather than your production and value as a martial artist. It is an entertainment company that pays the fighter for how much they can entertain people, not how good you are. Nothing wrong with entertainment, though. Still not a sport.

16. Forever Young

Forever Young Balls Deep Belt

Anik is such a fucking schill troll.

Big Brown is right on the money on this one.

17. ilfirin

ilfirin Silver Belt

Schaub just shut that shit down.

18. Toco

Toco Steel Belt

youre such a shill

19. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

He actually said CM Punk will have success in the UFC because he has cardio.

20. Chules

Chules @UVEE'S BESTIE

lol Florian mentioning the much revered 'locker room bonuses'