Schaub/Florian: Zuffa has given non-champs 7 figure bonuses

I am certainly the polar opposite of a businessman. I can appreciate that you are logical, however.

Thanks man
As you can see from this thread, intelligent back/forth can be tough to find lol

I completely see both sides.

I don't get a lot of what Zuffa does
The Cain rematch makes zero sense
Dana attacking contracted fighters makes zero sense
Etc & etc

Does he mean former champs?

I could see them giving Conor 7 figures for the Dublin card.

Does he mean former champs?

I could see them giving Conor 7 figures for the Dublin card.

Seems like they referred to people they were not contractually obligated to.
Champs get PPV points so of course they will get 7 figures

that is what I took from it

People saying no way to 7 figure bonuses ever heard of Conor McGregor? You think he and Chael Sonnen have never had a 7 figure bonus? Because they most certainly have.

Thanks man
As you can see from this thread, intelligent back/forth can be tough to find lol

I completely see both sides.

I don't get a lot of what Zuffa does
The Cain rematch makes zero sense
Dana attacking contracted fighters makes zero sense
Etc & etc

When people talk about what's right and wrong, they usually are talking about what they think is 'fair', which is subjective. Realistically, the boss does what he wants, and the employees can work or choose not to work for him. There really is no 'fair', there's just action, reaction and the chips falling where they do.

But, as a passionate fan of these fighters, their sport, and not the promotion, I'd really get behind them more if there was less of a 1% capitalist mentality. If, instead of Rory getting $500,000 (I trained with Rory when he was a kid and am on friendly distant terms, and he DESERVES, imo, whatever he got for that courage) if he got 400,000 and the poor fuckers who still put it out there for $10,000 got an even spread of that other $100,000, I'd be more of a UFC fan. (This is a general statement using a specific case where I don't really know the numbers, but the idea is 'share the wealth')

Now, all that I've said is for nothing - its not my decision, and there is no 'fair' in business. This is subjective and emotional... but fans are like that, and the more of us there are paying, the more money there is.

Its early, I'm drunk.

People saying no way to 7 figure bonuses ever heard of Conor McGregor? You think he and Chael Sonnen have never had a 7 figure bonus? Because they most certainly have.

source?

I hate to say fighters union. But the fighters need some sort of pay structure thats more transparent. I cant imagine training for months. Show up ready to throw down and my opponent runs the entire fight. Now I dont get a bonus? I get 5000? I have to pay my trainers. Pay the taxes. Pay for my own health insurance. Buy food and make the rent until my next fight? Someone else gets a game opponent and gets a secret bonus? F that. And F Anik for defending it. It wasnt his place. He just sounded like a goof.

Source they have not? If people can believe fedor lost because he was "unmotivated", then I believe these fighters are getting paid.

You realize its pretty much impossible to prove a negative right?

The guy specifically called out Connor and Chael for having received 7 figure bonuses.

He is the one that needs to provide a source for that info. I don't need to prove that the other 598 fighters never received a bonus.

When people talk about what's right and wrong, they usually are talking about what they think is 'fair', which is subjective. Realistically, the boss does what he wants, and the employees can work or choose not to work for him. There really is no 'fair', there's just action, reaction and the chips falling where they do.

But, as a passionate fan of these fighters, their sport, and not the promotion, I'd really get behind them more if there was less of a 1% capitalist mentality. If, instead of Rory getting $500,000 (I trained with Rory when he was a kid and am on friendly distant terms, and he DESERVES, imo, whatever he got for that courage) if he got 400,000 and the poor fuckers who still put it out there for $10,000 got an even spread of that other $100,000, I'd be more of a UFC fan. (This is a general statement using a specific case where I don't really know the numbers, but the idea is 'share the wealth')

Now, all that I've said is for nothing - its not my decision, and there is no 'fair' in business. This is subjective and emotional... but fans are like that, and the more of us there are paying, the more money there is.

Its early, I'm drunk.

You are more intelligent, articulate & have better reading comprehension drunk than most on here that I assume are not drunk

KUDOS

I see & respect all you wrote

My feelings about the lower tier is ..
Zuffa has 600+ fighters under contract.
That is an average of 60+ per weight class.
obviously the females have less, but lets say 60+ per
30+ do not need to be under contract
UFC can get curtain-jerkers locally for 2k & not pay insurance or event expenses for them.
The bottom 300 seem to be mostly guys trying to get up the ladder & if they do than they make more $$$ ... if they don't they are cut & obviously not main card material.
Zuffa basically has their own built in minor leagues.
The guys that are in the middle of the pack like a Philty Tom (non top 15) are the ones that I think could do better

Enjoy your cocktails man

You are more intelligent, articulate & have better reading comprehension drunk than most on here that I assume are not drunk

KUDOS

I see & respect all you wrote

My feelings about the lower tier is ..
Zuffa has 600+ fighters under contract.
That is an average of 60+ per weight class.
obviously the females have less, but lets say 60+ per
30+ do not need to be under contract
UFC can get curtain-jerkers locally for 2k & not pay insurance or event expenses for them.
The bottom 300 seem to be mostly guys trying to get up the ladder & if they do than they make more $$$ ... if they don't they are cut & obviously not main card material.
The guys that are in the middle of the pack like a Philty Tom (non top 15) are the ones that I think could do better

Enjoy your cocktails man

Thanks, and you're right. Zuffa is mostly doing it right, with some mistakes. I just know, personally, how damned tough and dedicated even local champs are. I imagine myself somehow being good enough to make the UFC, just to even crack the roster, and then I think, "I make $2,000 every two weeks to do my dumbshit job where I don't get beat up or feel nervous for days on end.... wtf??"

Thanks, and you're right. Zuffa is mostly doing it right, with some mistakes. I just know, personally, how damned tough and dedicated even local champs are. I imagine myself somehow being good enough to make the UFC, just to even crack the roster, and then I think, "I make $2,000 every two weeks to do my dumbshit job where I don't get beat up or feel nervous for days on end.... wtf??"

I forgot to respond to the Rory part (trained with) ... very cool
I used to be an actor, so I get the train & work hard for very little pay & recognition
That is without getting hit

You seem to have a good grasp on things
You know that just be a fighter doesn't guarantee you 100k a year
Some fans can't grasp that

It is like any artist/athlete

Good luck to you man & if you want to PM me details on your fights or anything ... feel free

Oh & is your dumbshit job related to your drinking in the morning?
Sounds cool to me lol

You have it backwards. They are mostly doing it wrong, with the occasional right move. It's paying the majority of your fighters peanuts and once in a while giving out a 6-7 figure bonus to a couple individuals. It's like wind-milling, you will connect once in a while.

This is exactly right. Rather than build and/or use feeder leagues, they keep everything under the UFC name. Just being signed to the UFC doesn't automatically mean a fighter's made it to the big time. It's like being signed to the minors, and their future depends on their performance. One wouldn't think this would be hard for people to understand, but apparently it is.

You have it backwards. They are mostly doing it wrong, with the occasional right move. It's paying the majority of your fighters peanuts and once in a while giving out a 6-7 figure bonus to a couple individuals. It's like wind-milling, you will connect once in a while.

I dislike them, too - but, in corporate terms, they are 'right' because they are winning (making money). They still come off as complete assholes though.

why do you hang out in the UFC section if you hate the majority of what they do?

wouldn't you rather go talk about something you actually like? Instead of just being a constant downer?

I forgot to respond to the Rory part (trained with) ... very cool
I used to be an actor, so I get the train & work hard for very little pay & recognition
That is without getting hit

You seem to have a good grasp on things
You know that just be a fighter doesn't guarantee you 100k a year
Some fans can't grasp that

It is like any artist/athlete

Good luck to you man & if you want to PM me details on your fights or anything ... feel free

Oh & is your dumbshit job related to your drinking in the morning?
Sounds cool to me lol

Oh, I don't fight, just train with some good guys. Less nowadays. But when you train, you dream, that's all. I know guys who are really good on a local level, and they are so much better than me its ridiculous.

And I'm off this week. Had a hangover, thought I'd numb it with some beer!:p

why do you hang out in the UFC section if you hate the majority of what they do?

wouldn't you rather go talk about something you actually like? Instead of just being a constant downer?

He's more negative than me, but I'm on his side. We're here because we love fighting, and the top guys are in the UFC. Doesn't mean we support the UFC. (I spoke for you, hope its ok)

Back