Scaring away the new guys (kinda long)

28c15e.jpg

Roll how the white belts roll. If they spaz tell them to chill and smash them until they gas. If someone rolls cruise with me I cruise with them.

New guy has started to catch me when I cruise with him so I’ll step it up and start using my smash game on him now. My a game is smashing passes and pressure so I don’t get to practice it too much on new guys.

As soon as i read federal LE i instantly wondered if this guy was Rusty from my gym haha, brown belt and everything

Damn too many assholes in Jiu Jitsu

White belts should spar just between them

Use to train with this guy who did that.....Made me come back and work harder and eventually constantly beat his ass mercilessly in good fun.

down side is I saw him do that to other potential long term prospects that had the physical ability, but not the mental toughness.

I always look at it this way, the new prospects ether need to be mentored and trained to eventually be good training partners, or given a ton of technical detail, a pat on the head and sent on their way to compensate for their physical inefficiencies. Ether way they are getting what they need to stay and I'm getting refreshers as to how I executed basic movements and strategy way back when.

Plus who the fuck relies on class time to get your rolls/randori in?

That's for open mat, comp prep time and from my experience the team works with who they want.

Who ever's instructing class makes the rules and as advanced belts it's a given we're representing the art to the public and low belts and trying to grow the school so we'll all have a(bigger/better) place to learn and train.

Two different threads you have posted about bjj guys being assholes.......
Can you show me on the doll where he hurt you?

Seriously, where there are people there are assholes

We have a pro boxer at my gym who has never won a fight (Amateur or Pro) so he takes it out on the new guys. He's technically a trainer though what he's training people for I don't know (how to lose fights?) and he constantly coaxes people in to sparring by saying 40% and shit like that, then tries to go Mike Tyson on them and occasionally he knocks someone out then says it was an accident. When I spar him I like to wear my Fairtex BGV9's that are not designed for sparring because they're hard as rocks. Damn it feels good to open up a cut on his face and watching him sook saying you're going to hard in sparring when in reality he bullies people day in day out. I wish he'd fuck off from the gym like this white belt did.
He's never won a fight as an amateur but he's a pro boxer?

Two different threads you have posted about bjj guys being assholes.......
Can you show me on the doll where he hurt you?

Seriously, where there are people there are assholes
The other one iirc was about sore losers basically and this one is about bullies
Im surprised because some people say Jiu Jitsu people is very humble and friendly because they spar and loss in every training or something like that

There are assholes everywhere. Just try to avoid them.

Train with like minded individuals

Use to train with this guy who did that.....Made me come back and work harder and eventually constantly beat his ass mercilessly in good fun.

down side is I saw him do that to other potential long term prospects that had the physical ability, but not the mental toughness.

I always look at it this way, the new prospects ether need to be mentored and trained to eventually be good training partners, or given a ton of technical detail, a pat on the head and sent on their way to compensate for their physical inefficiencies. Ether way they are getting what they need to stay and I'm getting refreshers as to how I executed basic movements and strategy way back when.

That's for open mat, comp prep time and from my experience the team works with who they want.

Who ever's instructing class makes the rules and as advanced belts it's a given we're representing the art to the public and low belts and trying to grow the school so we'll all have a(bigger/better) place to learn and train.

There has to be a element of rolling in classes. Some students (myself included) rely on it because we can't get in any other time. Given that, unfortunately I've got to get my learnings, drilling and some rolling in in the 90-120 minutes I have set aside of BJJ. Big long warm ups for cardio building on the other hand, I could do without.

Class time is for learning.

If this happened to me and I planned on walking out, I would have knocked your ass out and taught you a lesson about how jiu jitsu is only one aspect of fighting. Now THAT would have been funny.

LOL and what if he boxes or kickboxes and knocked you out instead? What if everyone else in the academy beat the fuck out of you. You sound like a genius

Honestly, You can completely dominate without being a dick and Crushing Their Spirit. If anything they will be amazed by how effortlessly you Sweep, Control and Submit them and That is what will keep them coming back because they want to learn how you are doing it.

It's not smart or lucrative to let your white belt with 2 weeks of training get smashed by some midlife crisis blue belt.

Midlife crisis blue belt here. If a new white belt tries to hurt me and won't chill out after multiple warnings, I will tap them with top pressure over and over with no remorse

Midlife crisis blue belt here. If a new white belt tries to hurt me and won't chill out after multiple warnings, I will tap them with top pressure over and over with no remorse

I get it. I'm referring to someone who hasn't done those things and has been respectful but is still aloud to be smashed for no reason.

There has to be a element of rolling in classes. Some students (myself included) rely on it because we can't get in any other time. Given that, unfortunately I've got to get my learnings, drilling and some rolling in in the 90-120 minutes I have set aside of BJJ. Big long warm ups for cardio building on the other hand, I could do without.

Class time is for learning.
Yeah man I get it, class can be a crap shoot in terms of who you get to roll with during class. There's always a pecking order as to who likes to train with who which works most of the time. My schedule was setup open all evening so I'd get pounded after class.

Every instructor has their own warmup conditioning regiment. Sometimes I want to get right to it, but there's also the long term development gained from good cardio and stretching. Depends on your preferences.

Wed and Sat with the chief instructor would always be higher belts pairing up with new guys. I use to be miffed about it and just wanted to train like hell, but then realized he was grooming us to have patience and learn how to teach. It also helped me go back and re discover the drills and pointers in my development that really stuck with me cause they worked.

Losing a customer because your existing customers just took turn submitting him and what we call smashing him.

We no longer have to prove that bjj works so to speak.

I mean I started 15 years ago where people used to come around and basically challenge us.

But nowdays, it is different.

People just want to learn and not necessarily like to be proven that they don't know anything by getting submitted 5 times in 3 minutes.

But I have some cry baby self promoted blue belt that always complains to white belts when they go too spazzy on him...

Lol

Open mats tend to become a circle jerk, having an impartial person set up rolls is so much better overall. I wouldn't sign up for a gym that does open mat only for rolling.

Open mats tend to become a circle jerk, having an impartial person set up rolls is so much better overall. I wouldn't sign up for a gym that does open mat only for rolling.

Yup, my coach is the complete opposite, he rushes the techniques to make sure we have rolls to do. In a 1:30 class we will have at least 5 6 minutes rounds, we go up to 8 rounds every two weeks. In the 2 hours class we have the first hour with 15 minutes of sparring and the last hour with about 30 minutes of sparring. We also have a no gi class which is about 2 techniques and a full hour of rolling.

So we do maximum 4 different techniques with very few reps.

This suits me very well, I get most of my instruction online for new stuff and my coach is super willing to help me out with details when I ask him.

So in a normal week I will have about 25 rounds of rolling during class. When everybody is there and available and there's diversity.

When I go to open mats we do drilling for new stuff and we also roll.

It's not the place to learn new advanced stuff, the curriculum is strong on the basics and is taking a lot of emphasis on positioning. If you want to get funky do it by yourself

When I started, every bluebelts were showing up all the gi chokes (cross chokes, bow and arrow, loop chokes, baseball bat chokes...). I had some previous no gi experience so it wasn't super easy to dominate me but they pretty much showed me every gi chokes in 6 minutes rounds.

Some of them took the time to show me the proper defense for the move they just did, maybe the more self confident ones.

Good thing I had made my mind that it was the sport for me because it was a rough start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back