Scariest experiences involving animals

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Mr WorldWide, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Mr WorldWide

Mr WorldWide Green Belt

I went fishing a few years back with some friends at the beach and one of them caught a moray eel probably just under 2' long. When they are out of the water those fucking bastards go crazy and twist themselves so the damn thing tied itself into a knot and basically hung itself on the fishing line. So the thing was pretty much dead and my friend proceeded to chase me with the half dead moray eel and it came to a point I was at the edge of a small cliff and I contemplated of jumping off into the water (probably 6' drop) Rather than get the eel thrown at me. Probably the most terrifying moment of my life at the time.

2. VroomyJeeps

VroomyJeeps Brown Belt

I've never had a scary experience with animals. I had a sad experience though. A baby bird somehow fell on to some concrete stairs in front of my old work. I picked him up and he was injured and shaking. I was going to build him a little nest and give him worms to eat but then he died in my hands. it was sad

NewBreed likes this.
  3. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    Probably the time I had a crow stare me dead in my eyes, for about a minute, from no more than a step away. It never flinched, just sat there looking me dead in my eyes. It was fuckin thinking something too, because I could see the gears turning. It was weird. Then I got Lyme Disease that day. The thing hexed me or some shit lol.

Walked right up on this Timber Rattlesnake when I was bushwalking on the top of one of the mountains around here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It hissed at me before rattling. Took me by surprise even though I had been scanning the ground (at least they give warning though, unlike Copperheads that don't have a rattle and tend to hunker down before slinking off).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Black Belt

Just a speck of sand in an endless desert of agony
    FFsake man you got Lyme disease? From what I hear that is some serious bad bad shit that can fuck you up for a long time. Was it a while back? You fully recovered now? Do you think it has played a part in your somewhat melancholy state of mind?

5. Dirt Road Soldier

Dirt Road Soldier All Praise To The Gun!

Put me in the Rattlesnake column. Damn near stepped on it, heard the rattle, and stopped dead in my tracks.

Thankfully, I was hunting at the time, and that poor bastard had the dumb luck of being right in line with my barrel. I think I still have the rattle at home somewhere.

6. Pliny Pete

Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

I was attacked by a pitbull at a gas station
    I was about to fight its owner and as soon as I threw the first punch the dog jumped out of the car and locked right onto my tit
    Im standing there shocked with this dog hanging off my chest and everything kinda slowed down and went quiet, it was weird
    Its looking up at me and Im looking down at it and were just silently staring into each others eyes like a fuckin romantic moment before I realized I better get this thing off of me so I started punching it in the head
    After a few punches the dog let go and jumped back into the car
    I had a huge nasty looking yellow, purple and green bruise covering the entire left side of my body for like a week afterwards
    Still got the scar of his his upper and lower fangs around my nipple

7. A.A. Riggs

A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

How tall is said rattlesnake column so I can avoid it?

8. Lyme disease is some horrible shit. I've had it for 2-3 years and was only diagnosed and started treatment a few months ago.

Started with my muscles getting crazy chronically tight, then I developed psoriasis, then alopecia ( hair falling out in patches) , then migrating pains , triglycerides and cholesterol and blood pressure went through the roof after always being stellar, heart palpitations.....and 100 other little things.

My muscles started twitching constantly all over my body a few months ago and that's when my doctor FINALLY put shit together, even though I had a positive ELISA test for lymes at the start of all this shit.

If it's allowed to progress it gets into your nervous system and wreaks havoc with your organs. I'm several months into heavy antibiotics and would say I'm 70% better. Don't know if I'll ever be totally back to normal as I think it's probably done some damage internally.

9. BearGrounds

Yea, back when I was in college. Took me a year, give or take, to beat it IIRC.

Some of the effects were a stiff neck that lasted over 6 months. I couldn't look over my shoulder without looking like Keaton in the bat man suit trying to turn his head.

My back seized up on me for roughly a week to the point that I basically needed assistance just to get out of bed.

Perpetual fatigue. I was always exhausted. Always.

I caught it early, because I saw the bullseye on my shoulder blade in the mirror the next morning (due to the site itching during the night). Unlucky people never notice and the symptoms hit them and they have no idea why.

As for state of mind, it was certainly added stress, but I've been this way since a kid lol.

10. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Black Belt

Fuckin hell mate. Yeah I heard some nasty stories. Heard it also has seriously damaging psychological effects and can cause severe depression. Been a few stories in the news over the years that stayed in my head about people who ending up cashing their chips in after contracting Lyme Disease. Good luck with your recovery man.

11. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Black Belt

ffs Lucky you caught that shit early man. Ticks is some nasty little motherfuckers. I remember the first time I saw one sucking the blood outta my dog under his ear it really grossed me the fuck out. I'm all for compassion to all creatures but I draw the line with those little bastards.

12. Back pain......another awesome symptom. I'd have these episodes where my sacroiliac ( sp?) joint would lock up and my whole pelvic lower back region would kinda freeze up. Like you said man , I'd put my mobility during those periods in the range of an 85year old with scoliosis , then it'd fade away...come back. Rinse repeat.

13. ajwbjj87

ajwbjj87 Black Belt

I caught Lime disease last May, I was lucky after two months of antibiotics I was cured however, it was the worst two months of my life , before I was diagnosed I thought I was dying of cancer or something, your body aches like a 90 year old arthritis patient and it's pretty much the worst flu of your life that never goes away

14. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Black Belt

My scariest experience with animals was me and my dog getting chased out a field by a herd of angry cows. Glorious summers day sitting there on a bench enjoying a bit of the old ultra-violet and this posse of cows clocked me from the other side of the field. I said to my hound hey boy I don't like the way these fools is eyeing us up here best we make tracks. The cows started to advance on our position and I'm like chill guys we're leaving. I started to up the pace and so did they :/ Then those crazy bastards charged at us and we had to get the fuck outta dodge quick fast :D

Hearse Lightning and Jing like this.

15. Thank you brother! I've got a very supportive wife , and that helps a lot. It would be very easy to slide into depression as it's so insidious. It's kinda swallows you slowly, every day you feel your health fading. It's hard to get properly diagnosed for a lot of people so you don't really have any good reason why all this shit is happening to you.

My biggest regret in the whole thing is how much what I know now is gonna taint my enjoyment of the outdoors. I'm a big camper/hiker that's probably pulled hundreds of ticks out of my ads over the years. It's gonna be hard to not obsesss over that going forward I think.

16. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

I'm British and we shipped all of our dangerous creatures to Australia. So safe in that knowledge I didn't know what the fuck to make of this when it flew through my window one night:

[​IMG]

Shit was a huge, red blur and it started flying around my living room crashing into walls and furniture. I was worried the shockwaves were gonna set off the car alarm outside. I had to leave the room and arm myself, but like I said this is the UK and fly swatters are just another crazy American thing. tbf I had a pretty mean shoe, but it still took like 20 long minutes for me to open the door.

I did manage to kill it in the end, and I immediately googled around and found it was a completely harmless beetle called a Cockchafer. End of days shit for a while there though

17. BearGrounds

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear you're now dealing with those things. I wish you the best of luck defeated the disease. Hate to hear about people having to go through the same shit that I did.

18. 22k

22k ベルセルク

dear God...... a buddy of mine once told me he caught a tick buried into his skin. so he took a lit match & burned the sucker out. shit always makes me cringe man

19. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

I was sitting along a coulee just enjoying the scenery. I seen 3 coyotes come over the ridge on the the other side of the coulee, maybe 150 yards as the crow flies. They see me, I see them. They start yipping and I hear about 5 behind me at all different directions about 50 yards away.
    I starting firing off shells and started running back to my truck.

I squared off with a wild elk once also. A guy I worked for raised them. I came to work and heard them fighting, which was normal for them to fight every once in awhile but this was going on longer and heavier than normal. So I finally went to check and there was a big ass wild bull fighting with a tame one through a fence, it wasn't a normal 3 strand fence, it was the 6 in square type.
    I tried screaming and hollering but they both ignored me. I didn't have a gun around and the only thing I could find that was long was a sledgehammer. The wild one got a couple of good whacks in the neck, disengaged, and squared off with me for what seemed hours but was probably only 30 seconds. He finally turned around and ran away.

20. BearGrounds

Last two seasons I've gotten into the double digits for removing ticks from my person.

You find one and you're checking yourself constantly afterward like a crazy person.

I burn them or use my knife to take their heads clean off. No remorse.

Pro tip: Never use vasaline/smother techniques to get them to back out if you got one in you. That increases your chances they'll excrete shit on their way out and pass you the disease.