SCARFACE (David Ayer No Longer Directing; Diego Luna to Star)

Remaking Scarface is a real laugh. Who is going to fill those shoes? You are not going to better the original, so a remake is just a cash grab. I will not be giving this movie a chance.

Scarface itself was a remake.......and I never got the hype for it. It's solid but nowhere near the best films in the gangster genre, imo.

No way this is a hit with old cats like me. It's like redoing Reservoir Dogs or Goodfellas.......yeah im getting old.....you damned whipper snappers with your smartphones and twiiter and all that.....

Making it in LA? Scareface is about the Cuban invasion when Castro let all the criminals go to FLA.......

The original was about an Italian in New York. de Palma changed it in his version and it turned out decent enough.

The Coen Brothers are writing this and they rarely put a foot wrong.......though it does seem an odd choice for them.

Update: May 19, 2017

SCARFACE Gets SUICIDE SQUAD and END OF WATCH Direct David Ayer

David-Ayer-Scarface-051917-Dragonlord.jpg

After tackling supervillains with Suicide Squad, David Ayer is heading back to the streets of Los Angeles.

Ayer, who won acclaim penning the hard-hitting Training Day and making gritty movies such as End of Watch, is in talks to direct Universal's Scarface, which is trading in its Miami locale for the streets of L.A.

Scarface tells the story of the rise and fall of a gangster, which has seen previous versions made in 1932 and 1983, the latter of which came from director Brian De Palma and starred Al Pacino.

Diego Luna is still attached to play the west coast Latino gangster, with Jon Herman penning the most recent rewrite of the remake. Dylan Clark will produce via his Dylan Clark Productions, along with Martin Bregman, who produced the 1983 Scarface film.

The search for the Scarface director has been a long one. Equalizer and Training Day director Antoine Fuqua was attached to the project, before dropping out due to scheduling conflicts at the beginning of this year. Hell or High Water director David MacKenzie and Patriots Day helmer Peter Berg were also at one point circling the project.

After directing the Warner Bros. anti-hero ensemble Suicide Squad, Ayer is heading to computer screens everywhere with the Netflix fantasy movie Bright, starring Will Smith. He is also attached to a Warner's remake of the western The Wild Bunch and to re-team with his Suicide Squad star Margot Robbie for Gotham City Sirens, which will be lead by Robbie's Harley Quinn.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/david-ayer-talks-universals-scarface-1005472

This will be merged with the official thread after a few days.

lmao right there im not even gonna give a shit

Scarface itself was a remake.......and I never got the hype for it. It's solid but nowhere near the best films in the gangster genre, imo.

The original was about an Italian in New York. de Palma changed it in his version and it turned out decent enough.

Holy shit didn't know that........it was early 80s and Miami was flooded with 10k kilos so good for de Palma.

I guess I should let the artist(s) have leeway til I pass judgement.

I wonder if Pacino had a say in it.

Scarface will be a black muslim and Sosa will be an African American woman who is very strong willed.

The difference is that the 1983 version of Scarface bettered the 1932 version of the film (which was essentially an entirely different film). This one will not better the 1983 version.

I disagree that it is over-hyped. I thought it was a great film.

Holy shit didn't know that........it was early 80s and Miami was flooded with 10k kilos so good for de Palma.

I guess I should let the artist(s) have leeway til I pass judgement.

I wonder if Pacino had a say in it.

Edit: was Chicago.

Let's be honest, it will probably be shit. I wonder if fans of the original complained that Tony Montana was now a Cuban in Miami in 1983.

Edit: was Chicago.

Let's be honest, it will probably be shit. I wonder if fans of the original complained that Tony Montana was now a Cuban in Miami in 1983.

Honestly I thought the original was overrated. It was saved by great performances. Doesn't hold a candle to Carlito's Way which is in my top 5

You critics are so far into being critics that you can't even sit down & enjoy a good movie for what it is.

Go ahead & quote 27 little tiny miniscule thingz you didn't like about it... I'll be right here to let you know you're looking at it too deep & missing the whole enjoyment of the experience.

It's universally considered a terrible film. Trust me its not some conspiracy that just about every critic known to man gave it an awful review as did many movie goers. I'll admit the trailers were done very well but the movie was a mess. There might be a watchable version if there was a re-edit done but the version I tried to watch was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. There's a reason why females under 18 gave this movie the highest rating by a large margin.

It can't be much worse than the last version

The difference is that the 1983 version of Scarface bettered the 1932 version of the film (which was essentially an entirely different film). This one will not better the 1983 version.

I disagree that it is over-hyped. I thought it was a great film.

Thought it was a solid film, nothing more. Nowhere near in the same league as Goodfellas, Godfather etc. Probably not in my top 10 gangster films, tbh.

The 1980s version, whilst not a direct remake was very similar to the 30s version- based on the same novel as opposed to a remake per se. I guess the 80s version is better remembered now, but the original is still regarded as something of a classic, too. In fact the AFI rank the original as the 6th best gangster movie ever and the remake 10th........

Honestly I thought the original was overrated. It was saved by great performances. Doesn't hold a candle to Carlito's Way which is in my top 5
Pacino's is a remake, too. Never saw the original.

Well it's hard to judge films from the 1930s by today's standards......weren't even in colour or anything!

Well it's hard to judge films from the 1930s by today's standards......weren't even in colour or anything!

That's my knock on the 80s Scareface.....it was very dated as an 80s movie....take away the cussing and violence and it was a TV movie.......

Scareface has aged well and still holds up imo, no need for a remake.

Wait, didn't you just say you didn't know of the original? Or did you mean the 80s version?

Simpsons did a spoof of Scarface (80s)........

To be fair, the following headline sounds better:

"Scarface remake gets End of Watch director David Ayer"

or:

"Scarface remake to be helmed by Training Day writer David Ayer"

Back