SBBC: Diets are for homos

Guess TS’ physique

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@PUO3 @mooninite54 or anybody else...

I’m looking to buy a smoker. Any recommendations?
How much are you wanting to spend?

If you want to use charcoal, any Weber or Chargriller etc is perfectly fine.

Id spend the extra money and get a pellet smoker. Traeger or Green Mountain. Set your temp and no further work to do.

How much are you wanting to spend?

If you want to use charcoal, any Weber or Chargriller etc is perfectly fine.

Id spend the extra money and get a pellet smoker. Traeger or Green Mountain. Set your temp and no further work to do.

I was definitely thinking of wood smoking

Look for a local welder and see if they know anyone that makes them from 50 gallon drums. You can buy a custom barrel smoker for around 300 bucks and it's as good as what the guys use in competitions. Or you can order a pit barrel cooker for around 250, I have one, and it's as simple as lighting your charcoal and walking away for way less than a pellet smoker.

And like Put said, you can't beat one of the cheap smokers at Lowes or Home Depot for the money. 60 bucks and a bag of charcoal and you're ready to go. I also have one of these, and while it makes incredible food, holy shit is a needy fucker.

If you have 750 bucks to spend just buy a pellet smoker.

Edit: another option would be to buy one of the Oklahoma Joe's and spend some extra money on oven gaskets and high temp sealant.

Double edit: if you're going pellet smoker RecTec and Yoder>Traegar

Last edited:
You can get a Traeger or GM for about $450. Folks go overboard with the sizes and then spend $700+. I dont know many people who need to cook more than 4 tri tips/briskets, 4 racks of ribs, or 4 whole chickens at a time. The small ones will all hold that much at once.

Charcoal is a son of a bitch for long cooks. Tending to it for briskets and such, 8-12 hours. Aint nobody got time fo dat.

For ribs and such, its fine.

You can get a Traeger or GM for about $450. Folks go overboard with the sizes and then spend $700+. I dont know many people who need to cook more than 4 tri tips/briskets, 4 racks of ribs, or 4 whole chickens at a time. The small ones will all hold that much at once.

Charcoal is a son of a bitch for long cooks. Tending to it for briskets and such, 8-12 hours. Aint nobody got time fo dat.

For ribs and such, its fine.

Once I start my pit barrel I don't have to touch it again for 8 hours. It's the only wood or charcoal smoker I've had that was almost completely hands off.

I had to fuck with my chargrill every hour to keep the fire from going out or overheating. It was exhausting.

Isnt TS pretty jacked lol
No. I’m about 190. I guess you could say long and lean. I haven’t hit the gym in I don’t know how long. I haven’t lifted anything heavier then my dick in a while.

All this talk of BBQ makes me miss my grill, had to sell it last year because I just didn't have any place to stash it.

The more I learn about constitutional law, the more I realize that the common public perception of how the Supreme Court operates is literally backwards

The more I learn about constitutional law, the more I realize that the common public perception of how the Supreme Court operates is literally backwards
People think the president makes laws still... Its all backwards out here

i think it's weird that certain courts, like say Immigration courts (Executive Office of Immigration Review), fall under the DOJ which is the Executive Branch....not Judicial

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I ended up going with a kamado grill a few months ago after having a propane smoker for a while. Depending on the brand kamados can get pretty pricey. However, with a kamado you can do low and slow smokes or you can crank it up and sear meat at 700 degrees. To PUO's point about having to tend to the coal on a long smoke, I dropped another $150 on a temp controller to solve that issue. Now if I am doing something that takes 8+ hours I put the food on before I go to bed and the smoker keeps a temp I set throughout.

If you want just a dedicated charcoal smoker without breaking the bank then you can check out the Weber Smoky Mountain. People seem to love that thing and there are temp control units that can be put on it to reduce the need to mess with it.

When you talk about wood smoking are you saying you want a wood only fire or that you want to smoke with wood? I use charcoal as my main fuel source, but I put wood chunks in the charcoal to get a good smoke flavor on the food.

I ended up going with a kamado grill a few months ago after having a propane smoker for a while. Depending on the brand kamados can get pretty pricey. However, with a kamado you can do low and slow smokes or you can crank it up and sear meat at 700 degrees. To PUO's point about having to tend to the coal on a long smoke, I dropped another $150 on a temp controller to solve that issue. Now if I am doing something that takes 8+ hours I put the food on before I go to bed and the smoker keeps a temp I set throughout.

If you want just a dedicated charcoal smoker without breaking the bank then you can check out the Weber Smoky Mountain. People seem to love that thing and there are temp control units that can be put on it to reduce the need to mess with it.

When you talk about wood smoking are you saying you want a wood only fire or that you want to smoke with wood? I use charcoal as my main fuel source, but I put wood chunks in the charcoal to get a good smoke flavor on the food.

Yes I meant to smoke with wood. Thanks for the info, there’s just tons of options now that I’m looking and as a n00b it’s kinda daunting.

You’ve all been helpful though so thanks.

I have an extremely strong grasp of how Kangaroo Courts operate.

i think it's weird that certain courts, like say Immigration courts (Executive Office of Immigration Review), fall under the DOJ which is the Executive Branch....not Judicial

Did you watch John Oliver this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back