Saying "Bless You' after someone sneezes.

Let me guess you want health and happiness wishes as well?

Respect the black death dead Holmes.

Everyone gets two bless yous followed by a shut up and silence.

Do you still do it?
I personally don't care one way or the other, but my wife considers it rude if you don't say it. I also ask if I should toss salt over my left shoulder. I don't fear demonic possession by sneezing and if a sneeze gets you a Bless You in 2015, what should a cough, burp or fart get?

I believe the phrase comes from Medieval Europe. During the Black Plague, in which nearly half the population died, people assumed if you sneeze you had the disease and thus likely to die soon thereafter. It was seen as people wishing you were blessed by god before death. I might be wrong but I think it has just been passed on generation after generation after one of the worst, if not the worst, pandemic in human history.

Last edited:
I feel disingenuous saying it so I just defer to people around me.

It annoys me because I feel they want you to reciprocate. Plus if you've got a few going do they bless you after every sneeze? I don't say it at all at work and I find people have stopped saying it, feel much more comfortable about it now.

I say "salud" which is Spanish for "health".

When it is proclaimed thusly or before downing a shot of liquor it basically means "to your health" in the sense that you are wishing someone good health. I feel it is most appropriate.

Buuut when one of my agnostic or athiest friends sneeze I offer them a "God bless you" in my most priest-like voice accompanied with a shitty grin. This is inevitably met with an even shittier grin and a "fuck off".

I say it because people appreciate it. I only say it once though. I always sneeze like 8 times in a row and when someone is there saying 'bless you' after each one, i get annoyed. I start to feel pressure to stop for their sake.

I still rock the Gawd bless you, to people I care about. Everyone else can go to hell.

Went through all of the thread and not one mentioned the origin.

A common symptom of the bubonic plague/black death was sneezing.
The ignorance of people thought that saying something like "god bless you" would mean anything.

it does mean something. it means you want the good of the people you say it to. whether or not there is a God is irrelevant.
you are saying bless you because at some level you are showing you care and you do want the good of that person.

not sure how this = not meaning anything. well, except douches, but besides those people I am not sure.

vnMIxoX.png

I say "salud" which is Spanish for "health".

When it is proclaimed thusly or before downing a shot of liquor it basically means "to your health" in the sense that you are wishing someone good health. I feel it is most appropriate.

Same, except I'm Polish, so it's "na zdrowie"

Back