Say no to pulling guard or using submissions from the guard for the next month.

flyingknee16 said:
Anyone can pull guard but it takes skill to do takedowns.

I've taken people down in Judo, unfortunately I when I get into their guard they attempt lapel chokes, which are not my fort

I hate doing it, but I often pull guard. Alot of times if I know a guy can take me down and I dont want to risk getting taken down in a bad position (ex. falling to side control) I will just pull guard to play it safe. It works sometimes, because there are alot of guys I roll with I know I can sub from my guard, if not pass, but other times I just get shut down. I hate when people just hold me down in the guard, and dont try to pass or anything, they just hold me there. Its so frustrating. Alot of times when a guy just holds me down I just say to him "You can see Im working here, are you gonna decide to anytime soon? Because your not gonna do anything from here" That kind of thing would never fly in a tournament due to stalling violations and whatnot, only when rolling in class, so I dont see the point in people doing it. Its not something useful to do, it shows no skill whatsoever to be able to hold someone down. Does this really bother anyone else? or is it just me? haha, please god dont let it be just me.

Back